The Student Room Group

Bad AS grades Top Unis

So I took Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics at AS level, I achieved Bs and As all through out my mocks etc and ended up with BECC respectively as a result of missing pages, reading numbers wrong and just sheer incompetence. My teachers were somewhat shocked and I was told that I could continue all 4 to full A-levels and I have completely changed my way of learning to "null" my issues. I have an amazing personal statement with plenty of extra curricular interest etc and will be re taking 2 Further Maths modules and one Maths hopefully bringing me to an A in both with my History and Physics over all grades being decided by whatever I get this year and my AS exams will be scraped (New spec)

Obviously my grades arent the greatest, however, if I were in the situation where my A2 grades are really good as a result of my 3 hours a night revision target and have some mediocre universities in with offers in and I achieve the targets for some top unis what would I need to do, look in clearing for good unis that are offering economics based subjects?

I was suggested by my teachers to look at Warwick (MORSE) and apparently MORSE was in clearing this year as a result of low applicants?
Reply 1
I have the potential to achieve A*A*A*A if I were to put in the work and hours and IF I did achieve this (From a hypothetical stance) what would eb the next route.
Original post by VonDutchyy
So I took Maths, Further Maths, History and Physics at AS level, I achieved Bs and As all through out my mocks etc and ended up with BECC respectively as a result of missing pages, reading numbers wrong and just sheer incompetence. My teachers were somewhat shocked and I was told that I could continue all 4 to full A-levels and I have completely changed my way of learning to "null" my issues. I have an amazing personal statement with plenty of extra curricular interest etc and will be re taking 2 Further Maths modules and one Maths hopefully bringing me to an A in both with my History and Physics over all grades being decided by whatever I get this year and my AS exams will be scraped (New spec)

Obviously my grades arent the greatest, however, if I were in the situation where my A2 grades are really good as a result of my 3 hours a night revision target and have some mediocre universities in with offers in and I achieve the targets for some top unis what would I need to do, look in clearing for good unis that are offering economics based subjects?

I was suggested by my teachers to look at Warwick (MORSE) and apparently MORSE was in clearing this year as a result of low applicants?

If you firm an offer from a 'mediocre' university and exceed that offer then you can try adjustment. Failing that, take a gap year and apply post-A2.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
If you firm an offer from a 'mediocre' university and exceed that offer then you can try adjustment. Failing that, take a gap year and apply post-A2.

Thanks for the reply, Yeah my friend said something about adjustment.

It's useful because you don't lose your firm place while you look around though you only have a few days to do so - which can lead to over-hasty decisions. There is also the accommodation issue.
Reply 5

Original post by ageshallnot
It's useful because you don't lose your firm place while you look around though you only have a few days to do so - which can lead to over-hasty decisions. There is also the accommodation issue.

Except that not all unis/courses are in Adjustment.

Very few places are actually taken up using Adjustment. It's less than 1% of total acceptances iirc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply