The Student Room Group

Extended project- how many sources do we have to evaluate?

Urgently need to know as I feel I have not done enough. I have written a dissertation and need to know!
Original post by georgie_axolotls
Urgently need to know as I feel I have not done enough. I have written a dissertation and need to know!

Can't you evaluate all of them? I think I did.
Original post by Plagioclase
Can't you evaluate all of them? I think I did.

I've used over 50 sources and have filled out a sheet I made asking questions on the Authority, Objectivity, Timeliness, Supporting Evidence, and Relevance of each source. It would be stupidly in depth and take up 50 pages if I did 25 sources.
I've used over 50 sources and have filled out a sheet I made asking questions on the Authority, Objectivity, Timeliness, Supporting Evidence, and Relevance of each source. It would be stupidly in depth and take up 50 pages if I did 25 sources.

Yep sorry I take that back, looking at my EPQ I seem to have written a couple of pages about source evaluation. I used a lot of papers from scientific journals in my EPQ so I made general points about them rather than discussing them individually (e.g. mentioning the fact that they're peer-reviewed etc.), discussed the fact that I had cross-referenced sources and some more general points about the books and other resources that I had used. So it seems to have been more general comments rather than going into great depth analysing sources individually.
Yep sorry I take that back, looking at my EPQ I seem to have written a couple of pages about source evaluation. I used a lot of papers from scientific journals in my EPQ so I made general points about them rather than discussing them individually (e.g. mentioning the fact that they're peer-reviewed etc.), discussed the fact that I had cross-referenced sources and some more general points about the books and other resources that I had used. So it seems to have been more general comments rather than going into great depth analysing sources individually.

That's a relief! :biggrin: Hahaha.
I have evaluated 7 sources in depth so far. I may get to 10-15 and stop. Sound okay?
That's a relief! :biggrin: Hahaha.
I have evaluated 7 sources in depth so far. I may get to 10-15 and stop. Sound okay?

I think you need to use your own judgement here. What they want you to demonstrate is that you have thought carefully about which sources you have used for information and that you've not just been choosing sources with no discretion. So you definitely do not have to write a mini-novella justifying your choice for every source but I definitely do think it's worth covering your bases by making some general statements about sources that you've not explicitly evaluated, i.e. as I mentioned above.
I think you need to use your own judgement here. What they want you to demonstrate is that you have thought carefully about which sources you have used for information and that you've not just been choosing sources with no discretion. So you definitely do not have to write a mini-novella justifying your choice for every source but I definitely do think it's worth covering your bases by making some general statements about sources that you've not explicitly evaluated, i.e. as I mentioned above.

Thank you so much. I made a short paragraph in order to sum up my choices and justify my abundance of scientific papers and lack of primary discussion or usage of news outlets because it's such a niche topic. I guess that covers me and then my individual evaluation is just an extra highlight of my ability to not use sources willy nilly?
Thank you so much. I made a short paragraph in order to sum up my choices and justify my abundance of scientific papers and lack of primary discussion or usage of news outlets because it's such a niche topic. I guess that covers me and then my individual evaluation is just an extra highlight of my ability to not use sources willy nilly?

Yes that sounds good. I definitely would make sure that you mention peer-review when you discuss your use of scientific papers (i.e the idea that there's been some quality control by professionals to make sure that the science behind the paper has scientific integrity) but it's definitely also worth acknowledging that science is in a continuous state of flux and demonstrating that you understand that just because it's in a scientific paper doesn't necessarily mean it's absolutely true.
Yes that sounds good. I definitely would make sure that you mention peer-review when you discuss your use of scientific papers (i.e the idea that there's been some quality control by professionals to make sure that the science behind the paper has scientific integrity) but it's definitely also worth acknowledging that science is in a continuous state of flux and demonstrating that you understand that just because it's in a scientific paper doesn't necessarily mean it's absolutely true.

My little sheet asks about peer review so that should cover me. :smile:

Hi, i'm doing EPQ this year and am in similar situation. Did you evaluate your sources as part of your final report or do it separately? I have got a separate source evaluation document but i'm not sure whether i'll be marked down if i don't include it in my actual report?

Quick Reply

Latest