The Student Room Group

Do not have reference letters?

I left school 6 years ago so i dont have an academic reference. I am 25 right now. My employer refused to give out a reference as its their policy. They cant give references.
I practically have nobody to give me a reference.
What should i do in this case? If degree programs require references then can i opt for the foundation year?
Reply 1
Original post by natbynature
I left school 6 years ago so i dont have an academic reference. I am 25 right now. My employer refused to give out a reference as its their policy. They cant give references.
What should i do in this case? If degree programs require references then can i opt for the foundation year?

You can speak to the unis you want to apply for if you really cannot find a referee. But if you can get a reference that's best.

Have you done any volunteering, or things like Scouts etc? Even if you've done something like reading with school children you might be able to get a reference from the school. Is there a colleague that you could ask - ideally a supervisor, or someone in a position of authority.
Reply 2

That won't make a difference.

What course are you applying for? And do you already have the necessary grades?

Info here on getting a referee: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/apply-and-track/how-get-ucas-undergraduate-reference
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Juno
You can speak to the unis you want to apply for if you really cannot find a referee. But if you can get a reference that's best.

Have you done any volunteering, or things like Scouts etc? Even if you've done something like reading with school children you might be able to get a reference from the school. Is there a colleague that you could ask - ideally a supervisor, or someone in a position of authority.

Nope. I havent volunteered. Theres practically nobody to give a reference. Like i said, the people i work for refused to give me a reference.

Is there any hope?
Reply 4
Nope. I havent volunteered. Theres practically nobody to give a reference. Like i said, the people i work for refused to give me a reference.

Is there any hope?

Some unis will accept applications without references, but it depends on your circumstances so is a decision made based on each case individually. You will therefore have to contact each uni that you're interested in and explain your situation, including your educational background, and see what they say. It's not guaranteed, but if you really want to go to uni it's worth a try.

Your other option is to see if you can take up something and then get a reference. You don't have to apply until January 15th (for courses that aren't Oxbridge, medicine, or vet med) so that gives you a while. You can even apply after that date, but you're a late applicant so unis don't have to consider your application.
This route could be combined with a part time, distance learning, or evening course. Many unis like to see evidence of recent study, so might want you to take something now because your qualifications are 6 years old. If you do take a course, you could ask the tutor for a reference.

Have you approached your old school? They may still be willing to provide a reference.

Is there any hope?

You say here that you've been volunteering: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67670428&highlight=

Juno wasn't suggesting asking your boss but asking a senior colleague or co worker to provide a personal reference.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending