The Student Room Group

should i apply for prefect or is it just a waste of time

i really don't know whether i should or not, will it be of any use when i am applying for sixth form and uni or anything else.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I'm going to apply for prefect because I will show that I'm involved in multiple things and shows good time management.
Plus, it sounds interesting :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
If the only reason you want to do something is for a sentence on your personal statement then don't do it.
It's a waste of time.
Reply 4
If you become a prefect , it's a good thing to put on your personal statement so universities can see. So I think you should it
Original post by BasicMistake
If the only reason you want to do something is for a sentence on your personal statement then don't do it.

Soo true. If you want to do something,do it because you actually want to do something, not just because it'll look good on a CV or your parents want you to do it. To be honest, from what I've read, there isn't too much of a benefit applying to be a prefect apart from the fact that you become a more respected and known member of your school. But if you want to do it, then go ahead.
Reply 6
Original post by pineappleexpres
i really don't know whether i should or not, will it be of any use when i am applying for sixth form and uni or anything else.

I don't care whether or not ppl think it's a waste of time, just do it anyway bc then you can talk about it when applying to uni on your personal statement as it shows that you're dedicated and have good leadership, communication and time management skills :wink: It's better than having nothing at all and it will make you stand out to admissions tutors.
You get a cool badge
Original post by metamorphic
Soo true. If you want to do something,do it because you actually want to do something, not just because it'll look good on a CV or your parents want you to do it. To be honest, from what I've read, there isn't too much of a benefit applying to be a prefect apart from the fact that you become a more respected and known member of your school. But if you want to do it, then go ahead.

Being a prefect won't make a university any more likely to accept you. I should know seeing as I am one.
Reply 9
you'd get more out of your time from reading a book. Honestly not worth it, it's an overhyped title, I think you'd also be stupid to waste characters on saying you're a prefect
I don't know what being a prefect involves in your school but at mine it just meant being able to stay inside at lunch :s-smilie:

I'm a prefect for my high school and it's a good thing to talk about in your personal statement. You should do it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by zayn008
you'd get more out of your time from reading a book. Honestly not worth it, it's an overhyped title, I think you'd also be stupid to waste characters on saying you're a prefect

At my school we organise events and help out. Last week I had to take primary school children who were coming into the school as first years next year tours of the school. It wasn't a waste of time, it was quite helpful for them to come in and see all the departments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have to say I think its irrelevant.
Depends on what you get to do as Prefect at your school.
I've just been chosen as Biology Prefect at my sixth form so I get to do things such as set up & run Biology mentor sessions for younger students, the science club for Year 7s, organise other events/speakers to come in etc. :smile: I liked the sound of doing all that so I applied for it, but check what you'd have to do because it may be different in your school.
It's good if you're going to apply for other stuff in your school (head boy/girl for example) but I doubt universities care.
Reply 16
Original post by RossB1702
At my school we organise events and help out. Last week I had to take primary school children who were coming into the school as first years next year tours of the school. It wasn't a waste of time, it was quite helpful for them to come in and see all the departments.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh fair enough, in my school that's something we all do but I can see how it's beneficial in other schools, it's obviously a role that varies at each school so my opinion of it was just from how it is at my school
Original post by zayn008
Oh fair enough, in my school that's something we all do but I can see how it's beneficial in other schools, it's obviously a role that varies at each school so my opinion of it was just from how it is at my school

Yeah it's all different, everyone has a different opinion on how useful/pointless the role is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied to be a prefect and went on the satndard 6 week training phase where you had to stand around inside corridoors and stuff once a week, solely to put it in my p.s/c.v but because it was so utterly boring I just dropped out because I just didn't want to do it/like it. So if you want to do it then great, you'll also have something to write on your p.s as a bonus. But if not and you just want something to put on your p.s, (which I dont think is bad or anything) just know it will be quite a bit of work for something you're not interested in.
Overall it wont have a big effect in getting into college but for uni, who knows, maybe it will be seen as something that seperates you from the crowd. But there are plenty of extra curricular things like DoE, volunteering, student councils at college etc that have basically the same value as being a prefect so not doing it won't exactly mean the end of your uni aspirations by any means.
:smile:
i really don't know whether i shouldn't or not, will it be of any use when i am applying for sixth form and uni or anything else.

We had to because they said it would look good on our personal statement

Quick Reply

Latest