The Student Room Group

Oxford Engineering degree for investment banking?

I will be starting my undergraduate Engineering course at Oxford University this October. However, I am not sure whether I wanted to pursue a career in Engineering field as I become more interested in investment banking.

Here is my question:
1) Is an Engineering master degree from Oxford good for investment banking?

2) Should I change to study Maths/Maths and Statics/Economics and Mangement or Politics Philosophy and Economics (PPE)/Computer Science, if university lets me change my course? (any course/degree that is more related to or better for investment banking)

I understand some of you guys will say degree doesn't matter for IB. However, I reckon IBs must have a preference on certain degrees?

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated as I am the first one in my family who will be studying in university and I know nobody works in investment banking. So I can't really ask anybody in real life.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by OxO.

I understand some of you guys will say degree doesn't matter for IB, but I reckon IBs must have a preference on some degrees?

Well, you said it yourself..

There is no 'related' course for working in an investment bank apart from maybe some of the stuff you learn in finance. It will all be taught to you through formal training and on the job osmosis.

Imo, engineering is good because it opens up doors to more quantitative roles (if you so wish to head in that direction), but for the most part do whatever course you a) really enjoy academically, and b) you are good at/will get good grades in.

That is the crux, it's what I've said in the FAQ (assuming you didn't read it nor did you read any of the other threads on this topic) and probably about 50000000 times to people making carbon copy threads like this, it's what anyone doing recruiting for investment banking positions will tell you, it is what senior professionals in finance will tell you.

So, do what you enjoy mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Well, you said it yourself..

There is no 'related' course for working in an investment bank apart from maybe some of the stuff you learn in finance. It will all be taught to you through formal training and on the job osmosis.

Imo, engineering is good because it opens up doors to more quantitative roles (if you so wish to head in that direction), but for the most part do whatever course you a) really enjoy academically, and b) you are good at/will get good grades in.

That is the crux, it's what I've said in the FAQ (assuming you didn't read it nor did you read any of the other threads on this topic) and probably about 50000000 times to people making carbon copy threads like this, it's what anyone doing recruiting for investment banking positions will tell you, it is what senior professionals in finance will tell you.

So, do what you enjoy mate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you very much for your reply.

I understand what you said, but aren't IBs have some preference on Economics/Maths subjects?
oxford is a good enough uni

not your 'cambridge', but is alright i guess
Original post by OxO.
Thank you very much for your reply.

I understand what you said, but aren't IBs have some preference on Economics/Maths subjects?

well no you didn't because you're still asking if there's a preference.*
Reply 5
Original post by gr8wizard10
oxford is a good enough uni

not your 'cambridge', but is alright i guess

Thank you for your reply, but it does not really answer my questions. And I don't understand why you mention 'cambridge' as it is irrelevant to my questions.
Reply 6
well no you didn't because you're still asking if there's a preference.*

So you are saying IBs will treat people with a Music/Art degree same as people with a Maths/Economics degree?
Original post by OxO.
So you are saying IBs will treat people with a Music/Art degree same as people with a Maths/Economics degree?

Yes. I know specifically of a few Music/Classics grads doing v well as traders, salespeople and in IBD. Does that answer your question?
Reply 8
Yes. I know specifically of a few Music/Classics grads doing v well as traders, salespeople and in IBD. Does that answer your question?

Yes indeed. Thank you very much.
Investment Banking: gambling with other peoples money whilst adding no value to society other than lining the pockets of bankers.

Engineering: Underpinning virtually everything in the man-made world.

Going into IB after studying an Engineering degree at Oxford is a waste of a good degree IMHO.
Original post by uberteknik
Investment Banking: gambling with other peoples money whilst adding no value to society other than lining the pockets of bankers.

Engineering: Underpinning virtually everything in the man-made world.

Going into IB after studying an Engineering degree at Oxford is a waste of a good degree IMHO.

Most engineers don't actually change the world or create anything new. And investment bankers don't gamble with people's money- that job is called investment management, completely different from investment banking. Investment banking is the business of providing financial advice to corporates and helping them to raise capital. Without companies growing and merging/acquiring others, our economy would be very weak. Investment banking is necessary., just like engineering.

Quite a few people studying engineering at Oxford and Cmabridge do go to work in banking because engineering jobs in the UK tend not to pay as well as they are in other countries like Germany.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by OxO.
Thank you for your reply, but it does not really answer my questions. And I don't understand why you mention 'cambridge' as it is irrelevant to my questions.

it does answer your question, and i'm just mentioning that oxford is not as good as cambridge haha
it does answer your question, and i'm just mentioning that oxford is not as good as cambridge haha

Not true, it depends by subject. For example, Oxford is better for English.
Original post by shanktheopps
Not true, it depends by subject. For example, Oxford is better for English.

nope, cambridge is better at everything soz man

my teacher told me
nope, cambridge is better at everything soz man

my teacher told me

It's not actually as black and white as you or teacher thinks. Oxford and Cambridge are very similar in terms of quality and there are only minor differences in quality between courses at the two universities.
Reply 15

Oh well, thank you very much for telling me a fact that everyone knows: 'oxford is a good enough uni'. It is really helpful!!

I am asking is an engineering degree from Oxford good for IB, not asking which uni is better or is Oxford good for IB. Thank you for expressing your opinion, but I don't think this is a right thread for comparing Oxford and Cambridge. If you are interested in this topic, I suggest you go to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4331084

Thank you again for your replies, though.
Original post by shanktheopps
It's not actually as black and white as you or teacher thinks. Oxford and Cambridge are very similar in terms of quality and there are only minor differences in quality between courses at the two universities.

LOOOOL cambridge is far better. oxford is a shadow.

Original post by OxO.
Oh well, thank you very much for telling me a fact that everyone knows: 'oxford is a good enough uni'. It is really helpful!!

I am asking is an engineering degree from Oxford good for IB, not asking which uni is better or is Oxford good for IB. Thank you for expressing your opinion, but I don't think this is a right thread for comparing Oxford and Cambridge. If you are interested in this topic, I suggest you go to this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4331084

Thank you again for your replies, though.

np man, glad i could be of help :smile:
LOOOOL cambridge is far better. oxford is a shadow.

Ok I'll just agree to disagree with you on that. As an Oxbridge reject I know I would be really happy to go to either!
Reply 18
gr8wizard10 May I ask you which uni did you go to/are studying?
Original post by OxO.
gr8wizard10 May I ask you which uni did you go to/are studying?

harvard law m8

now doing an MBA at wharton

Quick Reply

Latest