The Student Room Group

Medicine 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="Selgomez11;67725588"]
Original post by michaela__
Are you WP or WP+ flag? I'm only WP so as you can see it doesn't help me out with my ukcat :frown: ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474653595.707624.jpg
Me too, I'm not sure as my avg is 655 and should I risk it... What do you think?

I've just compiled all my chosen uni's and their previous cut offs. Here is Manchester's. I think 655 is a bit risky but I also think my score of 667 is a bit risky so honestly I have no advice sorry 😂 here you go though hope it helps I'm fairly certain these are 99% accurate just depends whether I typed it into my calculator right lmao. Yellow means their cut off and pink means the UKCAT average for the year!ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474664343.962757.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bright_Gift
What unis are you thinking of applying to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Birmingham, UCL , sheffield and Leicester
Guys I could really use some help in deciding which unis would be reasonable for me to apply to. I got 5A*s, 3As, and 1B for GCSEs and 3As in AS, in biology, chemistry and maths. I am predicted 3A*s for A2 and have very recently sat my UKCAT, scoring an average of 747 with Band 1 in SJ. I'll be taking the BMAT come November and have already decided that I'm applying for Cambridge (I'm aware that it's a very long shot hahah) but do you guys have any idea where else I should apply to? I'm thinking UCL and Newcastle but I'm not sure if my UKCAT score is high enough for 2017 entry. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Original post by Metal Warrior
Guys I could really use some help in deciding which unis would be reasonable for me to apply to. I got 5A*s, 3As, and 1B for GCSEs and 3As in AS, in biology, chemistry and maths. I am predicted 3A*s for A2 and have very recently sat my UKCAT, scoring an average of 747 with Band 1 in SJ. I'll be taking the BMAT come November and have already decided that I'm applying for Cambridge (I'm aware that it's a very long shot hahah) but do you guys have any idea where else I should apply to? I'm thinking UCL and Newcastle but I'm not sure if my UKCAT score is high enough for 2017 entry. Any input would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Why not apply to Imperial instead, they do not take GCSEs into account

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Metal Warrior

Your UKCAT is amazingly high, honestly!

I'd suggest applying to at least 3 UKCAT universities to make use of your amazing UKCAT. Have you considered Kings, Sheffield or Southampton?
Newcastle is a very good choice, and you're in with an amazing chance of interview there :smile:
[QUOTE="michaela__;67725786"]
Original post by Selgomez11

I've just compiled all my chosen uni's and their previous cut offs. Here is Manchester's. I think 655 is a bit risky but I also think my score of 667 is a bit risky so honestly I have no advice sorry 😂 here you go though hope it helps I'm fairly certain these are 99% accurate just depends whether I typed it into my calculator right lmao. Yellow means their cut off and pink means the UKCAT average for the year!ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474664343.962757.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the information! They are really helpful. Are they the normal cut off scores or the WP ones? If it's WP, then I'm screwed lol
[QUOTE="michaela__;67725786"]

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you by any chance send a picture of the other cut offs you calculated? You can send it by pm if you wish :smile:
[QUOTE="Selgomez11;67727732"]
Original post by michaela__

Thanks for the information! They are really helpful. Are they the normal cut off scores or the WP ones? If it's WP, then I'm screwed lol

Those are the normal/WP cut offs! and not the WP+ since that doesn't apply to me so I didn't include it. Yeah sure I'll PM you the rest tomorrow when I go on my laptop!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bright_Gift
Birmingham and Sheffield.

Birmingham has a more vibrant city than Nottingham. (superficial?) Sheffield and Exeter both have amazing research qualities but I just have a preference for Sheffield (maybe because Exeter only has about 130 spaces for med)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cool. Cheers :smile:
Hi everyone,

I need advice as to whther i should apply to QMUL. I'm not too sure how the UCAS Tariff system works so can someone give me an idea of what my score would be and how competitive it will be.

GCSE: 7A* 2A 1B 1C
AS: AAAA
A level prediction: A*A*A*

Based on my Tariff points(which i dont know) will a Ukcat score of 663 be competitive?

Thanks in advance
Is anyone freaking about their personal statement? I find it so hard to explain why I want to study medicine in such a short amount of words:frown:
Original post by Kantth1
Hi everyone,

I need advice as to whther i should apply to QMUL. I'm not too sure how the UCAS Tariff system works so can someone give me an idea of what my score would be and how competitive it will be.

GCSE: 7A* 2A 1B 1C
AS: AAAA
A level prediction: A*A*A*

Based on my Tariff points(which i dont know) will a Ukcat score of 663 be competitive?

Thanks in advance

I have the kind of the same stats as you, I got 7 A*s and 5As, same AS and predicted grades. Except my UKCAT is lower at 655. Where else do you want to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I have the kind of the same stats as you, I got 7 As and 5As, same AS and predicted grades. Except my UKCAT is lower at 655. Where else do you want to apply to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

My other considerations are:
Leicester
Liverpool
HYMS
East Anglia
St Georges
Keele

BTW are you considering QMUL?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1093
hi, can i have some advice on where to apply?

i have A*A*A predictions and 7A* 4A at gcse, however my AS are bad (AACD). basically, last year i was extremely unmotivated, but now that i know i really can't imagine myself studying anything other than medicine, i'm determined to fix my grades and have been doing well in terms of that so far. my D was in physics however i achieved an A* in gcse and it's always been the science that's been easiest for me which is part of why I ended out with a D, because i overestimated myself and didn't work for it at all. i've dropped my C grade subject and I'm not 100% sure if unis will take my AS into account or if they just care about my predictions. my UKCAT avg is 683

I'm planning on applying to manchester and sheffield (i can't find sheffeild's ukcat cutoffs for previous years though) but i'm really stuck on my other two options!!

i don't take biology a level so my choices are limited to aberdeen, bristol, barts, dundee, glasgow, leeds (don't really want to do the bmat though), newcastle (risky with my ukcat score), and st. andrews

the scottish universities all seem so nice but they're all like 4-7 hour train journeys and i get homesick easily lol, but i am super interested in st andrews

any advice would be really appreciated, thanks
Original post by zmlk

i have A*A*A predictions and 7A* 4A at gcse, however my AS are bad (AACD). basically, last year i was extremely unmotivated, but now that i know i really can't imagine myself studying anything other than medicine, i'm determined to fix my grades and have been doing well in terms of that so far. my D was in physics however i achieved an A* in gcse and it's always been the science that's been easiest for me which is part of why I ended out with a D, because i overestimated myself and didn't work for it at all. i've dropped my C grade subject and I'm not 100% sure if unis will take my AS into account or if they just care about my predictions. my UKCAT avg is 683

I'm planning on applying to manchester and sheffield (i can't find sheffeild's ukcat cutoffs for previous years though) but i'm really stuck on my other two options!!

i don't take biology a level so my choices are limited to aberdeen, bristol, barts, dundee, glasgow, leeds (don't really want to do the bmat though), newcastle (risky with my ukcat score), and st. andrews

the scottish universities all seem so nice but they're all like 4-7 hour train journeys and i get homesick easily lol, but i am super interested in st andrews

Hey. Lucky for you, that almost all unis don't take AS grades into consideration, just your predicted. I know leeds will look at them.
This is the first year sheffield are using the UKCAT cut off and they said if they used it last year, 675 would have been the cut off. Last year sheffield basically used PS.
Your UKCAT seems pretty good so manchester and sheffield would be smart choices, of course manchester like people who have done a lot of care work! yes newcastle is risky imo, but glasgow looks good since the cut of last year was 663 and the year before was well below 650! Dundee may look as AS levels in their academic score so make sure you email dundee to make sure, but if dundee don't look at AS, it seems like a good choice for you imo and also aberdeen since ur predicted grades are good. And lmao, medicine is medicine doesn't matter where you do it, you will still become a doctor.
Original post by Kantth1
Hi,

My other considerations are:
Leicester
Liverpool
HYMS
East Anglia
St Georges
Keele

BTW are you considering QMUL?

I'm also hoping to apply to Keele, Leicester, Liverpool (or maybe Manchester) and Birmingham.
I'm hoping to get Birmingham and Leicester the most. I wanted to apply to QMUL but it's so UKCAT heavy! I think Kings would be easier to apply than QMUL
Hello! Any advice from anyone with offers/ doing the course would be greatly appreciated! I'm really delighted with how in the UKCAT I did given my low expectations. Thinking my application will be Glasgow, Manchester, QUB ( I live in Belfast, but would really like to go away for university, and while QUB is great I hope this isn't my only offer), and possibly Birmingham/Edinburgh (bit risky with band 2).

What do you think of medicine as a course and what's it like to study it in any of these places? Where is it more PBL? What is PBL actually like? What cities are affordable for students? Did you get campus/university accommodation in first year? Do you have much free time?

My full stats are currently:
AS Levels: AAAA (biology, chemistry , politics, English)
Predicted A2: A*A*A (though to be honest I personally expect 1 A*)
GCSE's: 9A*s, A, B
UKCAT: 703.33 average, band 2 TOTAL: 2110
Work Experience: Volunteering in an A+E dept. currently, have shadowed an Upper GI Surgeon for one day, GP day+ children's hospice day

I would be delighted and grateful for any advice about my application as I'm sure you're extremely busy!! Thank you so much!
Gcse: 6A*s 4As 1B
As level: AAAA
predicted: 3A*s in bio chem and maths
Ukcat: 673
Done a lot of volunteerring.
Where do i have a high chance getting into
Original post by zmlk

How on earth did you get an A prediction from one of your C or D AS grades?

I got a B in bio, and yet my teacher's is refusing to predict me an A :cry:
Reply 1099
Hi guys, really need some advice on where to apply I was thinking Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool and Aberdeen however my stats aren't great,
I have 3A*'s 7A's and a B at GCSE
Predicted AAA and a B at AS
With a UKCAT of 1850
VR:420
AR:720
QR:710 so 617 average :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending