The Student Room Group

Surely this is nationalism rather than racism?

Scroll to see replies

Isn't he quite dark for a pakistani, I thought he looked indian, I thought pakistani's were lighter skinned tbf.
Original post by IronicalMan
No where, just a typical lefty opinion.

No, it's not.
Original post by 0to100
the wording is important because of what it clearly is triggering from angry readers lmao, for The Guardian's benefit solely. :nah:

...That's just ridiculous, but if it makes you feel superior then okay.
Isn't he quite dark for a pakistani, I thought he looked indian, I thought pakistani's were lighter skinned tbf.

lmao it's because they are the same that's why they look the same. Only a pakistani or indian or a self-righteous but completely oblivious lefty will say they are not the same. And Asia tends to only showcase light skinned asians.
Original post by Plagioclase
...That's just ridiculous, but if it makes you feel superior then okay.

What's ridiculous. Saying something is ridiculous and not explaining is more ridiculous and also immature. You're acting like I'm commending the dude who said something nationalistic. This isn't about superiority for me, maybe it is with you letting yourself be angered by intentionally misworded clickbait from the guardian lol
Asian people problems, I'm off lmao.
Original post by 0to100
lmao it's because they are the same that's why they look the same. Only a pakistani or indian or a self-righteous but completely oblivious lefty will say they are not the same. And Asia tends to only showcase light skinned asians.

So Indians and Pakistanis are NOT the same people... Pakistanis are different than Indians in genetics, overall genetic composition, religion, culture, rituals, linguistics, dress, diet, ethnicity, governance, pre-history, civilization, race, complexion, geography, philosophy, script, cuisine, music, entertainment, soico-politics and economies.
I would argue they aren't the same race anymore, although they are related - if they were the same, one wouldn't be able to distinguish the two; if there was a line of 20 Pakistanis and Indians with the same haircuts and beards etc, I would be able pick most of them out just by looking at them.

It would be more accurate to say that Pakistan is a multi-racial nation, and so is India, rather than just being two races, but the pool of races differ such that you can make distinction between Indians and Pakistanis with only some overlap - for example a Pathan or a Kashmiri looks nothing like someone from Goa or even Delhi, and even within India itself, I as a Punjabi look substantially different frm others around India.

Since when?

Original post by 0to100

And Indians aren't a race, it's a nationality

that ain't racist.

It's nationalism

Nationalism is not an interchangeable term for racism as regards race/nationality. Nationalism is extreme patriotism which can call for sovereignty like the SNP.
Reply 29
Indians and Pakis have a long and noble history of hating each other. Stupid little man should have known better than to run his mouth in such a public sphere though.

So you made it up and the only place that opinion exists is inside your head.
Reply 31
Original post by Mathemagicien
A Pakistani saying nasty things about Indians... does it really matter if its racism or nationalism?
It does if you are bothered about the correct use of terms.
Reply 32
Original post by riyaaaaa
Idk that made me laugh lmao. Okay just bc people refer to brown people generally as desis doesn't mean they're of the same race. No Indians wanna be associated w pak and I'm sure pakis feel the same way too now. It's the sad truth.
Would you say the French and Germans were racially different?
Reply 33
Original post by Zamestaneh
I would argue they aren't the same race anymore, although they are very closely related - if they were the same, one wouldn't be able to distinguish the two; if there was a line of 20 Pakistanis and Indians with the same haircuts and beards etc, I would be able pick most of them out just by looking at them.

It would be more accurate to say that Pakistan is a multi-racial nation, and so is India, rather than just being two races, but the pool of races differ such that you can make distinction between Indians and Pakistanis with only some overlap - for example a Pathan or a Kashmiri looks nothing like someone from Goa or even Delhi, and even within India itself, I as a Punjabi look substantially different frm others around India.
People from Germany and Spain are classed in the same racial group. As are Poles and Italians. But I can generally tell the difference.
For all the excitement it generates over here, we have to wonder if anyone in the region bats an eyelid to it. Can't see it making the news in india.
Original post by QE2
People from Germany and Spain are classed in the same racial group. As are Poles and Italians. But I can generally tell the difference.

Perhaps I am conflating ethnicity and race; then again, that makes me wonder why the British Empire employed martial-'races' rather than ethnicities.
Original post by MagnetoWasRight
Loads of Pakistani boys are like wallah I'm Persian/half-Arabic and I'm like nah-uh girlfriend you're 5'4 and you have a one of those pervy looking moustaches.

That's very common amongst Persians and Arabs.

To the op: No it's not nationalism, since nationalism is just being overly proud of your country, it's not insulting people that belong to another country.
Certainly not nationalism. Racism can have different meanings depending on the definition of race you're using. Would it not be racist for a English person to discriminate against an Arab purely because of their ethnic background, seeing as they are both technically of the Caucasoid race? Of course it's still racist. Race is a loose term nowadays, and racism usually includes prejudice based on ethnicity too.
Original post by Napp
Indians and Pakis have a long and noble history of hating each other. Stupid little man should have known better than to run his mouth in such a public sphere though.

Pretty much this.
Original post by riyaaaaa
Okay but they're different races. Also, never say that in front of an Indian or a paki 😂

So which distinct races do, at least the majorities in, each country represent?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending