The Student Room Group

University applicants 2017 thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emwanza
Sent mine off on September 6th. I want to do LLB Law. I just wanted to get it off my table so that I can focus on studying. I got a response from Sheffield to say that they were considering my application after one week and a week later again, I received a similar email from Liverpool (also given student l.d#)

Oh cool, what do they mean by 'considering your application' ?
Maybe as a preliminary look, they think my application look strong enough. It is also an excellent marketingtool for the university to make you feel valued. I have heard of stories of student applying to university, they donot hear anything at all, even a rejection. An acknowledgement puts you in a positive spin so that you can focus on your studies, though an actual offer is better"]Maybe as a preliminary look, they think my application look strong enough. It is also an excellent marketing tool for the university to make you feel valued. I have heard of stories of students applying to university, they do not hear anything at all, even a rejection. An acknowledgement puts you in a positive spin so that you can focus on your studies, though an actual offer is better
Original post by bonjourhill
Reply 122
Original post by bonjourhill

my mum used to work in Plymouth unis admissions and she said that when unis receive and have processed your application, so it is essentially a receipt saying they have received it. Not all universities do this though and will not let you know once your application has been processed. This email just means that they have it, not necessarily that they are looking at it yet. Hope this helped xx
Reply 123
Thanks for starting up a new thread! I also received an email saying I should hear back in three weeks. It has been one week today...

I did not know you could apply through UCAS?

Wishing everyone luck!
How the hell has everyone already sent their applications. I haven't even started mine!!
Reply 125
Original post by TheAlphaParticle
How the hell has everyone already sent their applications. I haven't even started mine!!

Literally the same, trying to start my personal statement this very moment.
Original post by Edminzodo
Post your course, university choices and academic information here!

Course:
Universities:
GCSE grades:
AS grades (predicted/achieved):
A2 grades (predicted/achieved):
Extra curricular:
Other:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Course - Law
Universities - Birmingham, Liverpool, Leeds, Aston, don't know where else!!
GCSE Grades - A* A* AA B CCC
AS Grades - AB and i do a BTEC and a fast track in Psychology so don't have the grade yet..
Extra Circular - Work experience in law department in council, Work experience with an MP and a day in parliament, done lots of taster days.

Also had a year out of uni to pick up a fast track A level so i'll be starting uni already aged 18 and turning 19, if anyone has a similar situation and is applying to same uni's as me pls get in touch haha :h:
Reply 127
Original post by bhfn
Literally the same, trying to start my personal statement this very moment.

I was very keen and started writing up my experiences as soon as I found out about the programme!

This made completing the application pretty quick, however keeping under the word limit was really tricky.
Reply 128
Original post by al_h
I was very keen and started writing up my experiences as soon as I found out about the programme!

This made completing the application pretty quick, however keeping under the word limit was really tricky.

I've managed to write a first draft, however I never checked the character count until I finished and now I've got to get rid of 1500 characters to hit 4000. Hmm.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 129
Original post by bhfn
I've managed to write a first draft, however I never checked the character count until I finished and now I've got to get rid of 1500 characters to hit 4000. Hmm.

Posted from TSR Mobile

4000?! Are you not applying through the website?
Course: Law

Universities:

Cambridge
University College London
Bristol
Manchester
Liverpool

GCSE grades:

A*AAAABBBBCCC

AS grades:

Distinction* + AAB (Applied Law, Literature, Politics, and History)

A2 predicted grades:

Distinction* + A*A*A

Extra curriculars:

Work Experience in Citizens Advice Bureau
Competed in the Robert Walker Law Essay Prize competition
Read 'The Rule of Law' by Tom Bingham
Read 'The Right to Privacy' by Brandeis and Warren
Visited a Crown Court
Organised a charity project which raised £400
Served a term on local Youth Council
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by al_h
4000?! Are you not applying through the website?

I am applying through UCAS it's 4000 characters max, i've written 5500. I'm writing drafts up in Microsoft Word.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently waiting for my tutor to put my reference onto UCAS, so daunting! However, it is a good thing that i'm waiting for it, because it turns out one of the courses i've applied for is the sandwich year/placement year one and I don't want to do that one! Where is everyone applying to and what for?
Course: Psychology (single honors)
Universities: NTU, Edge Hill, Anglia Ruskin, Sheffield Hallam and Derby
GCSE Grades: A,B,B,C,C,C,C,D,D
AS Grades: E,U,U (2015) D*D* in 90 credit diploma health and social care (2016)
A2 Grades: (PREDICTED) D*D*D*
Extra Curricular: Girl Guide Leader, NCS Graduate (2014)
Reply 134
Original post by Plum1998
I'm currently waiting for my tutor to put my reference onto UCAS, so daunting! However, it is a good thing that i'm waiting for it, because it turns out one of the courses i've applied for is the sandwich year/placement year one and I don't want to do that one! Where is everyone applying to and what for?

Economics
Nottingham, Bristol, Leicester, Lancaster and Birmingham.

Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 135
This thread is now very confusing...
Original post by Isadore
Hi All,

I sent my application in the day after applications opened. I haven't heard anything as yet and this Wednesday will be three weeks to the day, fingers are crossed!!! Good luck with your applications and I will update the thread if and when I have news!!!!

So I'm not the only one! :smile:
Cambridge and Durham were quick with the acknowledgement emails, but I can't say the same about Exeter, let alone UCL.
Original post by Edminzodo
Post your course, university choices and academic information here!

Course:
Universities:
GCSE grades:
AS grades (predicted/achieved):
A2 grades (predicted/achieved):
Extra curricular:
Other:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Waaaiiit why did you remove my post as the first one? Call me petty but this was my thread isn't this unfair wtf man
Original post by CatusStarbright
Name: Catus
Course: Law/Law with French Law
Where? Oxford, Durham, Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool
AS grades+Subjects: AABB - French (B - 1 raw mark from an A), Law (A), Business (A) and English Literature (B)
A2 Predicted/Achieved: Haven't started college yet, so don't know. Will update this later.
Offers? Fingers crossed!

Update: A2 Predicted: A*AA - A*A*A (officially on UCAS it's the former, but my law teacher put in his reference that an A is the minimum he expects me to achieve and an A* would be a better reflection of my academic ability)
Course:
Physics (click here for specific courses, and offer status)

Universities:
St Andrews, Bath, UCL, Nottingham, Edinburgh

GCSE grades:
3 A*s, 3 As, 3 Bs (& a Distinction*)
AS grades (achieved):
AAAB (Computer Science, Chemistry, Physics, Maths - 3 UMS off an A :frown:)

A2 grades (predicted):
A*A*A (Chemistry, Physics, Maths) & A in EPQ

Extracurricular:
Read Richard Feynman's "Six Easy Pieces";
Read Bruce Rosenblum and Fredd Kuttner's "Quantum Enigma: Physics Encounters Consciousness";
Durham University Centre for Advanced Instrumentation work experience placement;
Newcastle University summer school;
University of York summer school;
Lecture by first British astronaut;
Talk by NASA scientist working on James Webb Space Telescope
Schooltrip to small country in West Africa with fundraising beforehand

Quick Reply

Latest