The Student Room Group

Internal assessments in personal statements

Hi,

I didn't find anyone asking for that but do you put your internal assessments (or EE) into your UCAS personal statement? The science IAs could benefit me but I'm unsure if I should mention them. If so, do I have to explicitly state that they are part of the syllabus or not?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Just to clarify, you're talking about the personal statement for UCAS right?
Reply 2
Original post by hipsterrapunzel
Just to clarify, you're talking about the personal statement for UCAS right?

Yup.
I personally didn't, so I don't have personal experience to help you with - so to say.

Nevertheless, if you feel that your IAs/EE demonstrate your passion for a particular subject, I don't see why not. The most important thing is how you put it into words and phrase it. You have to link it to qualities that are good for the course you are applying for. For example, if you've spent a couple hundred hours in a lab working on your experiment for your Biology EE, you can talk about the various obstacles you faced (perseverance/patience/dedication), how you tried different research methods (interest/innovation), and other things that this process has taught you. Of course you have to put it a little more well-phrased than "I worked hard on this so I am dedicated."; I'm just giving a brief idea.

I don't think you need to explicitly "say" it's part of the syllabus, something like "as I was working on my Extended Essay (EE) in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB)" would be fine. Remember to abbreviate each time you mention it after, so you don't waste characters. E.g. (EE, IA, IB)

Just my two cents. Like I said, I haven't done it, so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

What course are you applying for, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 4
I personally didn't, so I don't have personal experience to help you with - so to say.

Nevertheless, if you feel that your IAs/EE demonstrate your passion for a particular subject, I don't see why not. The most important thing is how you put it into words and phrase it. You have to link it to qualities that are good for the course you are applying for. For example, if you've spent a couple hundred hours in a lab working on your experiment for your Biology EE, you can talk about the various obstacles you faced (perseverance/patience/dedication), how you tried different research methods (interest/innovation), and other things that this process has taught you. Of course you have to put it a little more well-phrased than "I worked hard on this so I am dedicated."; I'm just giving a brief idea.

I don't think you need to explicitly "say" it's part of the syllabus, something like "as I was working on my Extended Essay (EE) in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB)" would be fine. Remember to abbreviate each time you mention it after, so you don't waste characters. E.g. (EE, IA, IB)

Just my two cents. Like I said, I haven't done it, so take my advice with a pinch of salt.

What course are you applying for, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for the reply! I could have not thought about phrasing it that way.

I'm still torn apart between physics and materials. Need to decide quickly if I want to apply to Oxbridge. I will probably give it a try as I got decent predictions.
Original post by Cookiezi
Thanks for the reply! I could have not thought about phrasing it that way.

I'm still torn apart between physics and materials. Need to decide quickly if I want to apply to Oxbridge. I will probably give it a try as I got decent predictions.

ah, neither course is in my realm of expertise so I can't help you there, sorry. do have a think about which one you like more and what you would like for a career. follow your heart.

there are different ways of writing a personal statement really, but as long as you show how much you want the course, how you have the character qualities for it, and the work that you've put in, you should be alright.

do you have other main points apart from your IAs and EE in your personal statement?
Reply 6
ah, neither course is in my realm of expertise so I can't help you there, sorry. do have a think about which one you like more and what you would like for a career. follow your heart.

there are different ways of writing a personal statement really, but as long as you show how much you want the course, how you have the character qualities for it, and the work that you've put in, you should be alright.

do you have other main points apart from your IAs and EE in your personal statement?

Well, I do have:
- books
- a winter school
- lectures at a local university I regularly attend
- advanced physics and mathematics courses I attended a year ago at another university
- maths competitions
- excellent but unrelated extracurriculars (at most dedication, teamwork, time management etc.)

Nothing exceptional, really. I might add something else if it's worthwhile eg. G4.

Btw. most of them are related to each other in a cause-and-effect manner, which makes them flow nicely.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Cookiezi
Well, I do have:
- books
- a winter school
- lectures at a local university I regularly attend
- advanced physics and mathematics courses I attended a year ago at another university
- maths competitions
- excellent but unrelated extracurriculars (at most dedication, teamwork, time management etc.)

Nothing exceptional, really. I might add something else if it's worthwhile eg. G4.

Btw. most of them are related to each other in a cause-and-effect manner, which makes them flow nicely.

that looks good. also, good on you for making it flow nicely. remember, the uni can't read your mind, they only see what you put down on your personal statement; so make sure you explain/show how each activity played a role in building you in your journey towards your particular course. i personally think having a variety of activities is good, but don't forget to go into detail for a couple of them especially if they are good examples of your skills/character. some you can mention briefly, others you may want to go into a little more. best wishes.
Reply 8
that looks good. also, good on you for making it flow nicely. remember, the uni can't read your mind, they only see what you put down on your personal statement; so make sure you explain/show how each activity played a role in building you in your journey towards your particular course. i personally think having a variety of activities is good, but don't forget to go into detail for a couple of them especially if they are good examples of your skills/character. some you can mention briefly, others you may want to go into a little more. best wishes.

Thanks for the valuable insights! Really enjoyed the conversation. Beat wishes as well!
The college counselor at my school explicitly tells you to choose IA's and EE topics that relate to the course. Since the more interest you show in the course will help in the ps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending