The Student Room Group

American Football Talk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wattsy
But Jacoby Brissett and company scored 27 points on that D! I haven't seen it yet but that beggars belief. Whether JJ Watt is full go or not that defense has some players.

BB just schemed it really well. Threw in the naked bootleg in the first half which was completely unexpected, and then went primarily to a power running game which took away the pass rushing strength of the Texans. Brissett only threw 19 times. The Pats forced 2 fumbles in kickoffs by refusing to kick into the endzone, which, given touchbacks come out to the 25, is something I'd expect more teams to do. This is how you win without a top QB. Everyone buys in.

On another note, those dark blue jerseys are beautiful.
I've got kind of a theory going that the best way to diagnose a "winning culture" vs a losing one by watching TV is by seeing how the secondary tackles. Cos I was kind of baffled by how bad Cleveland have been vs the run, because they have a first round DT, a very good ILB (in my opinion) and two or three promising edge defenders. But then you think that because most teams play a lot of split field and don't have Kam Chancellor so they almost have two free safeties instead of a free and a strong, and then they play under 40% of their snaps in base anyway, so in every running play there is going to be at least one DB with an absolutely essential role, and often they'll be the ones making the tackle while everyone else engages blockers. Every DB in the NFL obviously can tackle, but it must just come down to how much they want it and how much they believe it will help. The Patriots pretty much always have a top 5 tackling secondary I think, even when they had players like Pat Chung who used to get criticised for being a liability in coverage.
Edelman might be starting as QB next week: https://twitter.com/Trags/status/779385135774982145 Brisset injured thumb ligament
Reply 2483
Think you may have a point Smash. I'd also add that tackling is SO coachable for people with these physical capabilities. I, despite being about 8 and a half stone piss wet through used to be able to hold my own when it came to rugby tackling because of good technique, technique is that important it can hide physical deficiency. These guys don't even have that problem.

The highly strategic nature of the NFL lends itself to fundamentals coaching. Teams that have good coaching in the NFL will tackle well and I think tackling can set a precedent in a defense. Horrific tackling is so deflating because it's not that difficult to execute properly if you're in the right place. Failing at the basics pisses a team off to the point where they become a less effective unit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Monkey_Pete
Edelman might be starting as QB next week: https://twitter.com/Trags/status/779385135774982145 Brisset injured thumb ligament

Jimmy G is expected to be back by then I think, if not they will more likely pick up someone like Matt Flynn who already has knowledge of their terminology.
Original post by SmashConcept
Jimmy G is expected to be back by then I think, if not they will more likely pick up someone like Matt Flynn who already has knowledge of their terminology.

Yeah, you are probably right, but Edelman does have history as college QB, so there is a possibility there. Personally i would love for Grop to come back and destroy everyone again.

Is anyone going to the London games this year? Me and Motorbiker have season tickets for all three games :smile: Going to get myself a nice Jags 59fifty cap from the NewEra stand
Reply 2486
Oh lord. Flacco just scored a rushing TD on the Jags. I hope this isn't the beginning of another long day.
Can we get some RIPs in the chat for the cards.
Reply 2488
Original post by ..DT..
Can we get some RIPs in the chat for the cards.

I really don't get what's happened to them. Their roster is so talented! Position groups of weakness are probably the O-Line and Linebackers but they're otherwise loaded.
(edited 7 years ago)
Cam newton is limping looks like a he might of hurt his ankle.
Original post by Wattsy
I really don't get what's happened to them. Their roster is so talented!

Okay I take it back, Peterson is an animal.
Reply 2491
The Jags are getting booed. The franchise has reached tipping point.

Pat P is an animal. I love that guy.*

10-7 Jalen Ramsey just layed out Justin Forsett. Penalties still wrecking the Jags though. And another horrendous penalty for a moronic play. Poor coaching coming to the fore once again.

A Rob caught it. Awful officiating if this call stands up and a damning indictment of the catch rule. It's a blatant catch. Challenge succesful. The game is on.

This team are just not allowed nice things apparently. I feel like a damn Browns fan. 3 turnovers in a row. That was a bit wild. Poz leaping through Forsett to get the 3rd pick. Oh and now Bortles takes a nightmare sack. This is a crazy game, the FG is blocked and the Ravens recover. This is truly mental. BLAKE BORTLES IS A MORON. This is such a terrible end for a poorly coached team with a QB who is relentless in his bad decision making. My laptop was nearly thrown at a wall.*

Green Bay I could forgive the L, there was optimism. San Diego was unforgivably poor but the 'Gus Bradley character' in this team could have rebounded. After today their season is finished from an analytics point of view. Now for the excruciating cheerleader press conference. There was no positives; you lost, you are ****, your team are ill disciplined and the season is over. Thanks for your service in motivating teams which were hot garbage, now we need someone who can marshal a team, make them accountable and 'execute' in the big moments because you cannot.
(edited 7 years ago)
Let's go cardinals
shoutout to carson palmer and mathieu
Giants have been involved in some awesome games so far.
Reply 2494
Original post by ..DT..
Giants have been involved in some awesome games so far.

One of them teams that never does it easy. I feel like Eli is a big reason for that because he's just not as good unless the game is tight.
Reply 2495
Lol, 40 seconds in and Seahawks have already done more offensively than they did last week, the game in LA was excruciating :lol:
Good old Cleveland
Reply 2497
Now I'm desperate to see LA fail so it's hopefully going to be a more serene watch on RedZone for me after that entirely life shortening experience.
There was a lot of chat last week on reddit about some of the terrible calls by officials in the Rams Seahawks game. People suggesting the NFL had some influence over that for press reasons, which seems ridiculous. Yet today, Gurley just got tackled on 3rd and 1 and it looked way short and there was literally not one replay, never mind a side angle of the play. Very odd.
Reply 2499
More fuel to my fire of LA hatred. Wouldn't even surprise me. Goodell is bent in the non-homophobic fashion.

Quick Reply

Latest