The Student Room Group

Do your folks let you bring your bf/gf in the house? And even sleep over?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhaenys10
this tsr user needs to be protected at all costs. she has a noble purpose is life

:rofl:

high five yooo

i rebelled real bad too when i was about 13 (cringe)
i can still remember the day when i came back home from school and my mum was like 'we gotta talk'.. i was wearing a choker and since then i've never been able to wear one again lol. i would've been angry with myself too... it's all about how you approach your parents - if u try to do sth behind their back, they're pretty much always gonna get mad, but after the while, they get over it

right now my mum and dad are absolutely amaaaazing tho
like i said, 'partners in crime' is the best way to describe em

my brother has it a lot easier than me tho
now that i m away he's pretty much like an only child, not to mention that i've bought him a lot of **** and he can have almost everything he wants
and he's also a boy so yeah

Just said to reachin4thestars that you gotta show your folks they can trust you. I didn't do that as a kid but that's because I rebelled against restrictions. It's now why my mum has kinda loosened the unnecessary straps on us. Everyone is dying their hair now, staying out, going parties, etc. I think it's good!
Original post by hxfsxh
Through the back door window, which is basically a door in itself. It doesn't make any noise and neither do our stairs. Plus my room is on the floor lower to my parents' room. I've only ever done it twice though.

looool I won't tell :wink:
my house is squeaky as **** though, old victorian flat
My mum said she likes it because she calls it an alarm system, the squeaks and that lol
literally nothing is quiet, the cupboards, the doors, floors...-__-
Original post by 0to100
:rofl:

Just said to reachin4thestars that you gotta show your folks they can trust you. I didn't do that as a kid but that's because I rebelled against restrictions. It's now why my mum has kinda loosened the unnecessary straps on us. Everyone is dying their hair now, staying out, going parties, etc. I think it's good!

exactly
they just wanna be part of their kid's life
and the thing is, most of the times, they can actually help you..it's not like they weren't young too at some point
when i have kids i wanna be a badass mum lol.. and teach my kids that it's abs okay to tell me about all the **** they do
(edited 7 years ago)
Am I the only person here with South Asian parents that don't actually care that I've got a boyfriend? Like the only reason he doesn't stay over is purely embarrassment on my end tbh, I've never really tried asking if he can stay over. But he's visited loads of times.
Original post by 0to100
looool I won't tell :wink:
my house is squeaky as **** though, old victorian flat
My mum said she likes it because she calls it an alarm system, the squeaks and that lol
literally nothing is quiet, the cupboards, the doors, floors...-__-

Trade secret :wink:
I love Victorian style houses; ours was built in the 60s I think. And your mum's right; it is pretty effective. Our house is wayy too quiet so every little squeak makes me paranoid.
My boyfriend is more than welcome in the house and my room but unfortunately my parents are quite traditional in that he isn't allowed to sleep in my room with me. They'd let him sleep on the sofa but I find that embarrassing and it makes me feel childish. I respect their rules and don't kick up a fuss about it, I just disagree with it and will hopefully not be like that when/if I'm a parent.

His parents let me practically live at their house, I sleep there half of the time and I was sleeping in my boyfriends bed from day one. It's like my second home :smile:
And it's not just about me. All of my mates as well have very open minded parents.

I have been over to countless mates' of mine houses since primary school (dunno if I worded that right) and their folks just let us crack on with it while they are out or sat in another room.

I grew up where my mum didn't let me leave the front gate and I had to watch my friends skate and bike without me -___- I got tired of it and jst said **** it and went without permission. Now with my younger siblings my mum is nicer about their freedom and self expression. It's harmless. You gotta trust your kids and you gotta get your folks to trust you as well. Soon you'll be able to do anything around each other comfortably.
exactly
they just wanna be part of their kid's life
and the thing is, most of the times, they can actually help you..it's not like they weren't young too at some point
when i have kids i wanna be a badass mum lol.. and teach my kids that it's abs okay to tell me about all the **** they do

Lol I stay thinking about how I'm gonna raise my kids because I'm getting to that age/point of my life where it could happen any minute, that I make a child. I have a lot of practice with my little siblings and what I do with them is let them express themselves freely :indiff: But they respect me at the same time, they know when to stfu, when to "come here," when to stop...even though they're very happy it seems with like self expression. I didnt have that growing up and I think my mum sees wtf it did to me. So she's not like that anymore. Much more lenient while still parenting.

One big thing was hair dye and dating and parties, honestly. My mum hated it. Now we all do it. And I talk to her about sex and ****. I used to be terrified.
I wasn't allowed a boy in my room with the door closed all the way up to leaving for uni and I wasn't allowed a boy in the house if there wasn't someone else there

once I went to uni my mum was fine with my boyfriend coming to stay and sleeping in my room (although I have a single bed so we had a separate mattress for him anyway), my dad took until I was about 21 to agree to it lol
Original post by 0to100
Lol I stay thinking about how I'm gonna raise my kids because I'm getting to that age/point of my life where it could happen any minute, that I make a child. I have a lot of practice with my little siblings and what I do with them is let them express themselves freely :indiff: But they respect me at the same time, they know when to stfu, when to "come here," when to stop...even though they're very happy it seems with like self expression. I didnt have that growing up and I think my mum sees wtf it did to me. So she's not like that anymore. Much more lenient while still parenting.

One big thing was hair dye and dating and parties, honestly. My mum hated it. Now we all do it. And I talk to her about sex and ****. I used to be terrified.

how old are you lol? and do u really wanna have children?

and yeah, i get what you're saying

the way my parents brought me up was pretty okay i guess ..if it weren't for them i would've probably got into a lot more trouble lol

but i think communication is really important you know? when i was young i was afraid to tell my parents some stuff, and there wasn't really a reason not to do this, but it did affect our relationship at a certain point..

so do i.. right now if i wanna do some crazy **** i actually enjoy calling my parents first and being like 'have any advice lol?'
Reply 90
Waking up one morning to being used as a spring board for the girl to hide behind the bed when mum walked in... god that was awkward. Especially when she offered her Weetabix :rolleyes:
Original post by doodle_333
I wasn't allowed a boy in my room with the door closed all the way up to leaving for uni and I wasn't allowed a boy in the house if there wasn't someone else there

once I went to uni my mum was fine with my boyfriend coming to stay and sleeping in my room (although I have a single bed so we had a separate mattress for him anyway), my dad took until I was about 21 to agree to it lol

hmmm...well at least they finally let up. Some peoples parents still control them even into adulthood!? What really inspired this thread is the change I see in my mum when it comes to raising me and my sister, and our younger siblings who are over 10 yrs younger than us. I feel at this point my mum will let my younger siblings do much more than I was allowed at their ages. And I think leniency isn't so bad...as long as you teach em respect and morals and stuff. Because kids ARE gonna rebel 9x outta 10. Might as well just teach em how to stay strong under pressures against like unsafe sex and drugs Cuz they're gonna try them either way.
Original post by 0to100
hmmm...well at least they finally let up. Some peoples parents still control them even into adulthood!? What really inspired this thread is the change I see in my mum when it comes to raising me and my sister, and our younger siblings who are over 10 yrs younger than us. I feel at this point my mum will let my younger siblings do much more than I was allowed at their ages. And I think leniency isn't so bad...as long as you teach em respect and morals and stuff. Because kids ARE gonna rebel 9x outta 10. Might as well just teach em how to stay strong under pressures against like unsafe sex and drugs Cuz they're gonna try them either way.

stuff's always more interesting when it's taboo
how old are you lol? and do u really wanna have children?

and yeah, i get what you're saying

the way my parents brought me up was pretty okay i guess ..if it weren't for them i would've probably got into a lot more trouble lol

but i think communication is really important you know? when i was young i was afraid to tell my parents some stuff, and there wasn't really a reason not to do this, but it did affect our relationship at a certain point..

so do i.. right now if i wanna do some crazy **** i actually enjoy calling my parents first and being like 'have any advice lol?'

I'll tell you in pm my age and well my mum and I aren't that close, or me and my dad. It's more of an emotional detachment to each other. The thing is, my mum was very cruel growing up and did a lot to lower my confidence about simple things. So I couldn't even watch a kissing scene in a film next to her without feeling ashamed or talk about sex or even say the word sex. I was afraid what she'd think of me. Now I just dont give a ****. I letit all hang out and share every detail about sexual encounters I've had, I swear, smoke, I do wtf I want in front of her and she's kind of stuck with stopping me so she kinda has no choice but to go along with it and let my younger siblings express themselves as well. Fearing that they'll resent her as well if she doesn't. :u:

One time I was invited to a party TWO DOORS DOWN from our place.

She made me come in after 30 minutes :nothing:

And then I stayed away from home for a week unannounced :u: lol now she lets me come home at stupid oclock 5am whatever.
(edited 7 years ago)
My parents allowed my ex boyfriend to stay around our house, but my mum in particular didn't like the idea of us sharing a bed.

We once went on holiday together and I shared a hotel room with him, which was all good according to my parents. But then that same guy isn't allowed to sleep in my own bed?! I can't see the sense in that to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 0to100
I'll tell you in pm my age and well my mum and I aren't that close, or me and my dad. It's more of an emotional detachment to each other. The thing is, my mum was very cruel growing up and did a lot to lower my confidence about simple things. So I couldn't even watch a kissing scene in a film next to her without feeling ashamed or talk about sex or even say the word sex. I was afraid what she'd think of me. Now I just dont give a ****. I letit all hang out and share every detail about sexual encounters I've had, I swear, smoke, I do wtf I want in front of her and she's kind of stuck with stopping me so she kinda has no choice but to go along with it and let my younger siblings express themselves as well. Fearing that they'll resent her as well if she doesn't. :u:

One time I was invited to a party TWO DOORS DOWN from our place.

She made me come in after 30 minutes :nothing:

And then I stayed away from home for a week unannounced :u: lol now she lets me come home at stupid oclock 5am whatever.

that's kinda sad:frown:
my parents were always funny about it (my mum I understood more that it that whole he's my baby BS but my dad didn't date until he was 40 when he met my mum (seriously) so I never really listened to him too much on that score)
luckily most of my ex's already had their own places so I'd just go there
this tsr user needs to be protected at all costs. she has a noble purpose is life

Awhhhhh that's so cute :smile: Thank you so much! :biggrin:
Original post by 0to100
Enjoy,

Ty I did :biggrin:
I'm African, 'nuff said :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest