The Student Room Group

Please help me I am scared

I just cried my eyes only nice words would be appreciated thank you.I am scared of failing maths I am trying so hard ot became good at it I practice maths often by doing questions i feel like I know the theory but when it cames to questions I struggle to apply it.My parents are not very helpful my father studied further maths at a level received an A* and did an electrical engineering degree.He believes I can get a 9 he is oblivious to reality I received a B or 6 at the end of year 10 (scraped by with a B).I need 6 A* to get into the sixth form of my dreams I have currently 2 A's and 2A*'s from GCSE's that I did in year 9 and 10.I know when the day comes to do my entrance exams for sixth form and the day when I will receive my GCSE results I will fail maths this terrifies me so much I am trying so hard to became good at it and it is not working out.No silly insensitive answers please or stupid answers like if you get a B it will be ok because it won't be I want to do maths at A level and need atleast a 7 or A in maths.

Scroll to see replies

why the hell does a sixth form want 6 A*'s? why do you have a dream sixth form? why are you crying? why have you taken GCSE's at year 9? GCSE's are only taken at year 10 and 11. why do you want to do A level maths if your not good at GCSE maths?
Original post by Anonymous1502
I just cried my eyes only nice words would be appreciated thank you.I am scared of failing maths I am trying so hard ot became good at it I practice maths often by doing questions i feel like I know the theory but when it cames to questions I struggle to apply it.My parents are not very helpful my father studied further maths at a level received an A* and did an electrical engineering degree.He believes I can get a 9 he is oblivious to reality I received a B or 6 at the end of year 10 (scraped by with a B).I need 6 A* to get into the sixth form of my dreams I have currently 2 A's and 2A*'s from GCSE's that I did in year 9 and 10.I know when the day comes to do my entrance exams for sixth form and the day when I will receive my GCSE results I will fail maths this terrifies me so much I am trying so hard to became good at it and it is not working out.No silly insensitive answers please or stupid answers like if you get a B it will be ok because it won't be I want to do maths at A level and need atleast a 7 or A in maths.

Your dad ovs was well young when he released you.

The A* wasn't awarded until 2010.

Your dad is chattin' sh**

+Alot of peeps get A*s in FM - Look at the stats.

If your dad is boasting tell him to go and suck a sponge...
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
why the hell does a sixth form want 6 A*'s? why do you have a dream sixth form? why are you crying? why have you taken GCSE's at year 9? GCSE's are only taken at year 10 and 11. why do you want to do A level maths if your not good at GCSE maths?

1.Very competitive sixth form top 5 in uk
2.I like that school I belong there and education is my number 1 priority in life also I have very strict parents.
3.I am scared of failing
4.Because this is the way by school does their GCSE'S
5.I want to be good at maths and I sort of like maths and I just want to

Westminster- private school. £29,000 pa fees.
Original post by Maths is Life
Your dad ovs was well young when he released you.

The A* wasn't awarded until 2010.

Your dad is chattin' sh**

+Alot of peeps get A*s in FM - Look at the stats.

If your dad is boasting tell him to go and suck a sponge...

He is my step father but we do not use such terms.Also you are being very disrespectful it is very funny what you said but I have a lot of respect towards my parents I wouldn't dare to say such to them.
You want to get at least a 7and you won't accept any other options, what do you want us to say? Looks like you'll have to work at it
He is my step father but we do not use such terms.Also you are being very disrespectful it is very funny what you said but I have a lot of respect towards my parents I wouldn't dare to say such to them.

Hah lol dude calm down.

Right so if you're in year 9/10 you shouldn't be expected to know what you want to do.
If maths isn't your strong subject then don't be pressured into taking in.
However it wont be so bad if you do.

This is your life.

Banter
Original post by whatadon
You want to get at least a 7and you won't accept any other options, what do you want us to say? Looks like you'll have to work at it

Words of encouragement to be told you can do it or tips to improve.
Original post by Maths is Life
Hah lol dude calm down.

Right so if you're in year 9/10 you shouldn't be expected to know what you want to do.
If maths isn't your strong subject then don't be pressured into taking in.
However it wont be so bad if you do.

This is your life.

Banter

I am in year 11 now.
1.Very competitive sixth form top 5 in uk
2.I like that school I belong there and education is my number 1 priority in life also I have very strict parents.
3.I am scared of failing
4.Because this is the way by school does their GCSE'S
5.I want to be good at maths and I sort of like maths and I just want to

universities don't care if your sixth form is the best in the UK or the worst, they just care about what A level grades you get.

if you "sort of like" it then don't do it. only do A levels that you enjoy and are part of the entry requirement for the uni you want to go to.
universities don't care if your sixth form is the best in the UK or the worst, they just care about what A level grades you get.

if you "sort of like" it then don't do it. only do A levels that you enjoy and are part of the entry requirement for the uni you want to go to.

I care i want to goto a sixth form which i like ok!I am very ambitious and i want to do maths a level because if you do easy things you will have a hard life and if you do hard things you will have an easy life.Also i want to became good at maths i don't give up so easily.I was getting D's in french mocks and I worked hard and received an a over all 1 mark of an A*.
Well I got an A in maths GCSE and went on to get two A's in maths and further maths at A-Level!
Having said that, do you have a future career in mind? I admire your work ethic but doing subjects just to challenge yourself is no good if you are then going to have to do additional A-Levels to achieve your chosen career.
I think that based on your current grade, a 7 is definitely achievable.
I care i want to goto a sixth form which i like ok!I am very ambitious and i want to do maths a level because if you do easy things you will have a hard life and if you do hard things you will have an easy life.Also i want to became good at maths i don't give up so easily.I was getting D's in french mocks and I worked hard and received an a over all 1 mark of an A*.

' if you do easy things you will have a hard life and if you do hard things you will have an easy life. ' What do you mean by that?

But if you always do hard things, you will always have a hard life.

Sometimes it's harder to take the easy option. To allow yourself to fail. To relinquish aspirations. Motivational speakers, proud parents, and teachers with boxes to tick would tell you to keep going and seize your dreams, but only those closest to you would tell you that you need to step back. So we demonise it. To step back is to admit defeat, and to admit defeat is to admit that you have lost in the game of life. Not true. To step back is to admit that you are not ready for this challenge yet, and to step back is to admit that, later, you will be ready for it.

It sounds to me that you want to go to this Sixth Form, and want to do what it takes to get there. That's great, but at what cost? What sacrifices are you willing to make for that, and are they worth making? It's a place where you will spend two years - perhaps 4% of your life - not a life-long career. Is it important? Yes. Is it so important that it's worth losing your mind over? Only you can decide.

My advice is to take a step back and think about why you want this. What is your true reason for pushing yourself so hard. When you've established that, ask yourself if the end truly justifies the means. If that means continuing with what you're doing, pushing yourself, and achieving what you want to achieve, more power to you. If, however, that means temporarily lowering your aspirations, there should be no shame in that.

Good Luck! :smile:
Reply 15
tbh the worse the 6th form the better - bc then you'll get an advantage when applying to uni, just get tuition xD

nah but for real, it really doesn't matter what 6th form you go to
there was a very good 6th form that was one of the top - dont remember what exactly when we applied
and i know people who went there and got average A levels like me - Bs and Cs
and then there were other people who went to my average 6th form who got As and A*s

it doesnt matter where you go, but how hard you work
First off, calm down! I'm not going to say there's no need to cry over this because I would've done the same but really, don't worry. Really get your head down and just work as hard as possible. Pester teachers, get extra tuition (seriously, I did this in A level Spanish and went up 3 grades), look at some YouTube vids - they're quite motivational and do give good advice. Also, for GCSE maths, there are a lot of good channels that explain things really well. With applying it, really practise makes perfect. Maybe talk to your maths teacher if you can? Get them to give you some extra questions?
I got a B at GCSE and haven't studied it since so I'm not much use but hope that helped :smile:
Keep working, keep hustling.

Or

You can stop.

It's your choice.

But ask yourself one thing:

What is it you want to achieve?

That should help you make your choice.
it doesn't even matter what sixth form you go to
Just work hard and focus on the subject, sometimes it takes people longer to grasp a subject but don't get discouraged

Quick Reply