The Student Room Group

Moving to an Engineering Grad Scheme (Oil) from Finance Job

Hi,

I'm wondering, for anyone who's worked in recruitment, if it will be looked upon favourably or negatively if I apply to oil & gas engineering graduate schemes this year after having worked in a finance graduate scheme the past year.

Will it be seen as a positive, since it shows discipline (studying whilst working) and the ability to function in a corporate environment?

Or will it be frowned upon since it is completely irrelevant to engineering...?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated, thanks!
Original post by danl88
Hi,

I'm wondering, for anyone who's worked in recruitment, if it will be looked upon favourably or negatively if I apply to oil & gas engineering graduate schemes this year after having worked in a finance graduate scheme the past year.

Will it be seen as a positive, since it shows discipline (studying whilst working) and the ability to function in a corporate environment?

Or will it be frowned upon since it is completely irrelevant to engineering...?

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated, thanks!

Grad schemes are design for people with little to no experience. You fit that bill. Although given the current state of the oil industry, there's likely to be extremely little on the market in that industry.
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Grad schemes are design for people with little to no experience. You fit that bill. Although given the current state of the oil industry, there's likely to be extremely little on the market in that industry.

Right now I'd be limited to Shell and BP I think. Slim pickings and very high competition...
Reply 3
You'll have better job security staying within finance than oil, I reckon. That probably doesn't say much tho. Both are volatile industries in their own right. I really hope you want to move to the oil industry for greater reasons than money.
Reply 4
Original post by ahpadt
You'll have better job security staying within finance than oil, I reckon. That probably doesn't say much tho. Both are volatile industries in their own right. I really hope you want to move to the oil industry for greater reasons than money.

I'm sure in the long run I could rack up a larger income in finance once I have qualifications under my belt and a fuller portfolio.

I do want to work in oil for money - but also for interesting projects and global opportunities.
Hey,

What has made you change from finance to engineering? This article brings up a few thoughts and questions about changing a career: http://advice.milkround.com/its-not-too-late-to-begin-again

You might be interested in this engineering sector insight: http://advice.milkround.com/sector-insight-engineering-and-manufacturing as well as the top 5 engineering graduate jobs available: http://advice.milkround.com/midweek-roundup-top-graduate-engineering-jobs

I hope these help!
Well, your advantage is, that you can limit yourself to only apply to jobs you really want and otherwise you already have a career. You should jut invest time to find out, which skills you need and which you want to get and how exactly you can plan your career, that changing is a possibility.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending