The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squishy•
But like aren't the others easier to tell before you resort to using this anyway?

It's pretty hard to do all of that in a tight time frame and I found AR in the exam hard as for most of mine counting didn't achieve much it was multi pattern things, so like I said- time consuming. If you're good at shapes then I'm sure you could come out with 750+, but I found the shapes in my exam hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
It's pretty hard to do all of that in a tight time frame and I found AR in the exam hard as for most of mine counting didn't achieve much it was multi pattern things, so like I said- time consuming. If you're good at shapes then I'm sure you could come out with 750+, but I found the shapes in my exam hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right. Were there lots of multiples for you? What would u say was the highest occurring type of pattern like size/shape/numbers etc.
what would you look for in shape, number of a certain shape would be under numbers so i don't get what u would look for with that.
Oh right. Were there lots of multiples for you? What would u say was the highest occurring type of pattern like size/shape/numbers etc.
what would you look for in shape, number of a certain shape would be under numbers so i don't get what u would look for with that.

Yeah there was lots for me and I know that as I couldn't get the whole pattern only half for a lot of questions and had to guess 😂 I don't know what was the highest occurring as I really wasn't trying to remember during the exam lol I was too busy! For shape I had on my notes when I was practicing, concave and convex, type of shape present or particular shape present, are the straight lines of the shape parallel, how many lines of symmetry (rotational, horizontal, vertical), can't remember much else but I think that'll do for shapes 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah there was lots for me and I know that as I couldn't get the whole pattern only half for a lot of questions and had to guess 😂 I don't know what was the highest occurring as I really wasn't trying to remember during the exam lol I was too busy! For shape I had on my notes when I was practicing, concave and convex, type of shape present or particular shape present, are the straight lines of the shape parallel, how many lines of symmetry (rotational, horizontal, vertical), can't remember much else but I think that'll do for shapes 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks a lot michaela
But like aren't the others easier to tell before you resort to using this anyway?

Yeah I find some number patterns really obvious such as an even number of shapes, all shapes have odd number of sides etc but then there are some weird ones too etc so I leave it last, But before I went through SSSPN I looked at both sets for about 5 seconds to see if any jump straight out at me, and some number ones did
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cookiemunch12
Thats really good! Any tips for that section? Were the patterns mostly quite obvious?

About similar difficulty to medify. Just look for 5 seconds then go through SSSPN and if you don't get it in like 30 ish secs move on
Just wanted to wish everyone luck for the final few weeks of testing. It really is better than the mocks so don't worry too much and keep pressing on!!

Check out my blog for some more detailed tips on each section, hopefully it helps someone :smile:

www.scrubsnstilettos.wordpress.com
Reply 5747
HI Guys ,
Does anyone know where I can find the specific UKCAT cut offs for different universities? (other than the ukcat website which is extremely vague).
I got a score of 663.3 in my UKCAT and my predicted grades are 6 A1 (Irish Leaving cert).....where would I stand a chance?

Could really use some help! :/
Original post by Ebro16
HI Guys ,
Does anyone know where I can find the specific UKCAT cut offs for different universities? (other than the ukcat website which is extremely vague).
I got a score of 663.3 in my UKCAT and my predicted grades are 6 A1 (Irish Leaving cert).....where would I stand a chance?

So there are some on the UKCAT website if you go on how uni's use the UKCAT document like Plymouth have all their cut offs on there. Next best thing is to search the uni's website, after that either call/email them if you can't find any still.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ikram99
I got Band 4 aswell! :frown:

Sad time for us man. Whats your plan now then considering almost every single unis straight reject the application with band 4 on situational judgement.
The UKCAT website mock i used to get really high scores on situational judgement and really bad scores on quantitative reasoning but in actual exam i somehow managed to do the worst possible.
Original post by Roman hang Limbu
Sad time for us man. Whats your plan now then considering almost every single unis straight reject the application with band 4 on situational judgement.
The UKCAT website mock i used to get really high scores on situational judgement and really bad scores on quantitative reasoning but in actual exam i somehow managed to do the worst possible.

Ahhh i feel so sorry for you :frown: i know some unis don't care about SJT. I can PM you tomorrow and find out the ones that don't care as ill call them up if they don't say on the website. But theres DEFO some unis that don't care such as plymouth i believe and also sheffield (they use SJT as virtual interview station)
(edited 7 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

sorry to bother you again but do you still have your notes? Like could you just give me a quick run through of the things to look for in AR like you just did for the 'Shape' section pls?

If you could :smile:?

Sorry to bother you again though!
Original post by .......Jeff458
Hey,

sorry to bother you again but do you still have your notes? Like could you just give me a quick run through of the things to look for in AR like you just did for the 'Shape' section pls?

If you could :smile:?

Sorry to bother you again though!

I have my own notes in a little book and then I constructed a mind map using somebody else's on here! I would send you my mind map but it's recently gone in the bin lol 😂 but I'm not taking credit for it as like I said this is not mine! I can't quite remember who I think it might have been ASTK98 but not 100% sure but I know they posted it onto the thread a bit ago!ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474837898.221315.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone done the ISC mock?, i didnt break even break 600 in it.
Original post by Roman hang Limbu

Im applying for bmat unis and sitting the bmat (i'll probably get rejected this year).
My plan is to apply again next year and take the ukcat again next year :frown:
What about you?
I have my own notes in a little book and then I constructed a mind map using somebody else's on here! I would send you my mind map but it's recently gone in the bin lol 😂 but I'm not taking credit for it as like I said this is not mine! I can't quite remember who I think it might have been ASTK98 but not 100% sure but I know they posted it onto the thread a bit ago!ImageUploadedByStudent Room1474837898.221315.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Michaela, if you don't mind me asking, what score and band did you get?
Im guessing you done exceptionally well (from looking at your amazing mindmaps!)
Original post by Ikram99
Michaela, if you don't mind me asking, what score and band did you get?
Im guessing you done exceptionally well (from looking at your amazing mindmaps!)

No that's not mine! I made one very similar but it's in the bin as I finally cleaned my room yesterday (as you can imagine haven't had much time recently so my floor turned into a library effectively lmao) 😂 I got 667 average band 1! Very happy with my score! It's not exceptional but it's more than enough hopefully and I'm super relieved 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
No that's not mine! I made one very similar but it's in the bin as I finally cleaned my room yesterday (as you can imagine haven't had much time recently so my floor turned into a library effectively lmao) 😂 I got 667 average band 1! Very happy with my score! It's not exceptional but it's more than enough hopefully and I'm super relieved 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow well done!
(Wish i could say the same for myself lmao)
Original post by Ikram99
Wow well done!
(Wish i could say the same for myself lmao)

Thank you! Apply to your strengths and maybe do the BMAT! If not there's always a gap year and to take the UKCAT again then! So many people have to take gap years and I'm sure I probably will too as I probably will need more experience! It's nothing to be worried about you are a perfectly normal applicant! I've spoken to so many doctors that had to take a gap year it's so normal honestly! It doesn't reflect how much of a great doctor you'd make so don't worry 😋

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ebro16
HI Guys ,

http://www.blackstonetutors.co.uk/how-universities-use-the-ukcat/how-universities-use-the-ukcat-2016

You may find this particular site useful as it does mention the uni cut offs. You have a really good score however it is not safe so just do your research and you will be fine :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending