The Student Room Group

Bitten off more than I can chew

Hi. I'm just wondering if anyone has any comments on my situation as I'm at a bit of a loss and stressed out.

So I'm only in my first week of uni as a 33 year old mature student. I'm not going to say where just in case anyone is reading these things from the uni. I am already having very serious doubts about the choice I have made.

I have a 1:30-2 hour train/tram commute that is costing me around £80 a week. I leave at 06:30 and get back at 7ish and realistically need to be in bed by 10:30 leaving me with next to no time to do any work.

I have to work Sundays to pay for my travel costs.

The really bad bit is that I am having to self-fund the entire thing with a loan of £5740 to "cover" living costs. My share of the rent and bills alone is £500 a month so I am having to borrow £100 extra from my fiancee. She is on a zero hours contract after cost cuttings at work and brings in about £800-900 a month.

My course is a 4 year integrated masters with one year out working so 5 years total. A long time to be in such a bad financial situation, basically the rest of my 30s!

I'm just not sure I can cope with it all for 4 years. I changed ideas for what to study when a place came up in clearing and because a lot of people have tried to warn me off (out of a sense of concern for my wellbeing) my original idea of being a Paramedic which as far as I am aware I would be eligible for a full tuition fee + maintenance loan package as it come under second degree rules.

Sorry for the long post but I am really desperate for some advice.
Your commute to the university and back is what's going to let you down...revision and time management is top priority.Was that the closest university/closest accommodation that you could find?
Think about it 4 years of constant travelling and the effect it will have,as mentioned, on your well being and if all that money is really worth the shift (with the addition of work), it does really depend on you and the commitment you put in (of course the financial costs are damning).
If you have any free days within your timetable then, Id use that to study and revise.
Reply 2
Yes it is the closest as the course I am on is only offered at about 10 universities in the country.

Another concern is that whilst my course mates are all very nice I haven't really hit it off so to speak with anyone but everyone else is already forming little groups. I think this is made worse because I can't really attend any of the course socials with living so far away. I know I'm not there to make friends, I am there to get a decent job but it's always nice to have a little group of people you can be included in. I am by far the oldest with the only other "mature" student being 25.
Omg this sounds like me in a few weeks. :bawling:

Look for grants you're eligible for at your university. Also consider moving out if it all seems like too much. Hopefully then living costs wont be too high that way.
Reply 4
Original post by undercxver
Omg this sounds like me in a few weeks. :bawling:

Look for grants you're eligible for at your university. Also consider moving out if it all seems like too much. Hopefully then living costs wont be too high that way.

I hope you cope with it better than I am! I would move but as my fiancee is bringing in the only real money we have I can't move until she finds a job where I am at uni. Plus we quite like where we are living now and all our friends are near by.
Original post by Andy13
I hope you cope with it better than I am! I would move but as my fiancee is bringing in the only real money we have I can't move until she finds a job where I am at uni. Plus we quite like where we are living now and all our friends are near by.

I've told myself to stay committed with what I do so I don't feel like ****. But I guess it will get tough at some point. The main issue with your situation is the commute. If you know there is nothing you could do (e.g. Moving out) then plan what you'll be doing in your journey home. You need to make the most of your time and travelling would take up a lot of it. Try to study when commuting. Have you considered getting another loan? Have you got a student bank account, that could be useful for you. Oh and make sure alongside all of this you give yourself a break. You'll probably get overwhelmed with everything and it might seem like a mess for some time, but you know that your health should be your number one priority.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Andy13

So I'm only in my first week of uni as a 33 year old mature student. I'm not going to say where just in case anyone is reading these things from the uni. I am already having very serious doubts about the choice I have made.

I have a 1:30-2 hour train/tram commute that is costing me around £80 a week. I leave at 06:30 and get back at 7ish and realistically need to be in bed by 10:30 leaving me with next to no time to do any work.

I have to work Sundays to pay for my travel costs.

The really bad bit is that I am having to self-fund the entire thing with a loan of £5740 to "cover" living costs. My share of the rent and bills alone is £500 a month so I am having to borrow £100 extra from my fiancee. She is on a zero hours contract after cost cuttings at work and brings in about £800-900 a month.

My course is a 4 year integrated masters with one year out working so 5 years total. A long time to be in such a bad financial situation, basically the rest of my 30s!

I'm just not sure I can cope with it all for 4 years. I changed ideas for what to study when a place came up in clearing and because a lot of people have tried to warn me off (out of a sense of concern for my wellbeing) my original idea of being a Paramedic which as far as I am aware I would be eligible for a full tuition fee + maintenance loan package as it come under second degree rules.

1. As pointed out the commute would kill me. The only thhing that mighht make it manageable is if my lectures were only 2-3 days a week.
2. How come you have no time to do any work? Toy cnat have got lecures all the time you are there.
3. You clearly havent worked out the financials properly. I would hate being that exposed for an extended period. Why is it 4 years for a Masters? Because its part time? Yu are well messed up if soemthing happens to your gfs job or you split.
You really should have got a job and saved up money imo then you could have removed soem of the money problem.
4. Are you sure this masters is going to be worth the money?
5. Just sounds impulsive , ill thought out decision.

Think about whether you cna cope with the commute, whether the Masters wil help you.

Talk to:
Partner
Any sensible friends who know you and preferably can see things objectively.
Your tutor anout concerns you have with the course.
Advisor in the SU.
SFE about repayment of loan.

Look at the cancellation/ withdrawl information and in particular the penalty clauses as attached to the Masters. I can't see the terms or dont know the Uni , so I cnat say, but at least for under grad degrees it is possible to cancel early on, this may or may not be the case with a Masters.

Talk to fees or just look it up. It may be you can escape penalty if you withdraw or you may just be liable for this terms fee. the website will tell you.

You then have to make a pros and cons choice.
Options
1. Continue MA taking into account what you have found out and addressing the issues raised above.
2. Withdraw from course. This may be time critical and worth £££ to beat the deadline.
3. You do not appear to have any finance options, but getting a job could help change the finances and maybe renting a room closer to uni?
4. Withdraw, get a job for £ and then spend time thinking what you wnat to do.
5. Possibly look into paramedic if thats what you wnat to do, but tic what your friends who know you have to say and research that aspect.

Its your choice, but if you break it down as above then it becomes clearer and more manageable.t
Reply 7
You will have to get used to the commute I'm afraid, I commute for an hour.

Have you looked into student travel passes? I buy a student one, bus train and metro until 31st December for £265. You need a student letter confirming you're a full time student before you purchase it.

You can't be in university everyday, what's your timetable like? You just need better time management skills.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Andy13
I changed ideas for what to study when a place came up in clearing and because a lot of people have tried to warn me off (out of a sense of concern for my wellbeing) my original idea of being a Paramedic which as far as I am aware I would be eligible for a full tuition fee + maintenance loan package as it come under second degree rules.

I think that those who "warned you off" studying to be a paramedic, need to explain how they thought you were going to pay your bills.*Bottom line is that you could have afforded to do a Paramedic degree with SF funding, but you can't afford a different degree which doesn't carry second degree SF funding.

It's a no-brainer. You've allowed yourself to be talked out of what you actually wanted - and could afford - to do. Stick two fingers up to other people, jack in your current degree and start your paramedic degree in 2017.
Tbh you dont know whether paramedic was a good idea. you have to understand their reasons (supposedly becayse they know him and in his best interest), but also the OP's motivation for choosing it. The only thing mentioned is that it will be better funded.
Reply 10
It's 3 years undergrad, 1 year working then 1 year masters.

I have lectures Monday-Thursday with only a few hours in the evening to eat, do housework plus study. I have to work Sunday so that only leaves Friday and Saturday to do uni work plus have some time to relax. That's a more demanding schedule than when I was working full-time.

The reason for wanting to go back to uni was that my job doesn't really have any scope to progress beyond where I'm at now so I feel a bit trapped.

I kind of feel like I'm giving up all my spare time,money,hobbies,holidays etc etc to go to university and it's seriously daunting to think of this happening for another 4-5 years!
Reply 11
Original post by 999tigger
Tbh you dont know whether paramedic was a good idea. you have to understand their reasons (supposedly becayse they know him and in his best interest), but also the OP's motivation for choosing it. The only thing mentioned is that it will be better funded.

The main reason for Paramedic is that it fits with the parts of my current job I like,a good number of people have said I'd be a good fit with the role and it had the satisfaction of being a job that helps people and is worthwhile. The main reason people have warned me off it is that I would have to deal with things like aggressive drunks and generally nasty people a I think people warning me against it are only looking out for my safety and mental health etc.
Original post by Andy13
The main reason for Paramedic is that it fits with the parts of my current job I like,a good number of people have said I'd be a good fit with the role and it had the satisfaction of being a job that helps people and is worthwhile. The main reason people have warned me off it is that I would have to deal with things like aggressive drunks and generally nasty people a I think people warning me against it are only looking out for my safety and mental health etc.

Do you have a fragile mental health? Did you do any research or work shadowing on it? You should di what you want, but also be honest with yourself about your abilities and wheter its something you can handle as a career.
Original post by Andy13
It's 3 years undergrad, 1 year working then 1 year masters.

I have lectures Monday-Thursday with only a few hours in the evening to eat, do housework plus study. I have to work Sunday so that only leaves Friday and Saturday to do uni work plus have some time to relax. That's a more demanding schedule than when I was working full-time.

The reason for wanting to go back to uni was that my job doesn't really have any scope to progress beyond where I'm at now so I feel a bit trapped.

I kind of feel like I'm giving up all my spare time,money,hobbies,holidays etc etc to go to university and it's seriously daunting to think of this happening for another 4-5 years!

It's only for few years then it'll be worth it in the end, everyone has to compromise whilst going to university. It's not easy.

Just don't do the masters and it's only 3 years, plus you break up in like May for exams. I break up in April.
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger
Do you have a fragile mental health? Did you do any research or work shadowing on it? You should di what you want, but also be honest with yourself about your abilities and wheter its something you can handle as a career.

No I don't have fragile mental health. A colleague at work's fiancee is a paramedic and I have chatted to him about it so I have a pretty good understanding of the role.
Original post by Andy13
No I don't have fragile mental health. A colleague at work's fiancee is a paramedic and I have chatted to him about it so I have a pretty good understanding of the role.

Well why would your friends mention it and why would you pay them any attention? If thats what you wnated to do, then it would seem alarming that you let people put you off and jumped at soemthing last minute, which leaves you in your current situation. Anyway good lyck and make the right decision for you.
Reply 16
Original post by Andy13

If everyone walked away from potentially difficult jobs, we'd have no paramedics, police or A&E staff. If that's what you want to do, then you don't need anyone's permission to have the courage of your convictions. If you have, or have had, mental health issues then that's a different story, but it still wouldn't mean you can't be a paramedic or that you can't make a valid decision about your own desired career. My family and friends told me I was daft to walk out of a well-paid job in IT to study archaeology but I still did it because I knew that was what I wanted. Eight years later, I've never been happier.

You panicked and made a last-minute decision during Clearing. Feel free to correct anything you now feel to be an error.

Uni with a commute will always be a slog. But with your full SF entitlement, you can stop working on Sundays and have a bit more breathing room.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending