The Student Room Group

Manual or automatic?

I've just passed my driving test in a manual car. I'm looking to get a car but I'm not sure on what to get. I think I would be a lot more comfortable driving an automatic.
I need some help on whether I should get an automatic or a manual car? Also if I drive an automatic, would I forget how to drive a manual in the future?
Reply 1
I really don't think you'd forget - it's like riding a bike - but don't get an auto. Manual is the way to go.
Reply 2
Original post by Ellllllllll
I've just passed my driving test in a manual car. I'm looking to get a car but I'm not sure on what to get. I think I would be a lot more comfortable driving an automatic.
I need some help on whether I should get an automatic or a manual car? Also if I drive an automatic, would I forget how to drive a manual in the future?

Automatic cars CAN be more expensive, more unreliable and use more fuel.

My best advise is this.
When driving an automatic car, tuck your left foot behind your right leg.
If you go for the clutch pedal by mistake, you will hit the brake and stop dead.

Even worse in cars which have the parking brake where the clutch pedal is normally located.

as someone who sadly has driven with a broken leg, auto is better from the perspective that you can drive it 1 legged (unlike manual which friggin kills every single time you change gear with a broken leg / cant use your right leg for clutch as it hurts somewhere,

Spoiler

If you can, go for a semi-auto but try the car before pruchasing as some semi-autos have clunky gearboxes
Reply 4

Take some out on test drives and see what you like - get a feel for the car

Posted from TSR Mobile
The big question which will make it a little easier for you, how much time are you realistically going to spend in crawl speed traffic? For me it was a no brainer to go Auto as my daily commute involves over an hour of sitting in stop start traffic a day.

Automatic's are more difficult to find, however the MPG bit mentioned above is becoming less and less of an issue, even my 10 year old car, the realistic MPG for the manual is 36MPG vs the Auto's 34MPG on a 1.6L 4cyl.

Auto's are more expensive to repair, there is no disputing that, however they are no less reliable than manuals now. The reliability issues recently stem more from dry clutch DSG semi auto's, where the expected life on a gearbox is less than 45,000 miles, as even 2nd hand cars with those sell for in excess of £10k with reasonable year for year mileage, I somehow doubt you'd be looking at those initially (think more expensive VW group cars).

As far as forgetting how to drive a manual, once you've learnt how to do it, it's not something you really forget, as its committed to muscle memory.
I had a manual for a year, if you commute a lot - then get an automatic. Having a manual navigating through rush hour traffic in London is a ****ing nightmare. Switched to manual and not sure I want to go back. DSG gearboxes, flappy paddles etc - they're just getting better and faster and don't "use more fuel" like someone said above. Its the opposite, they are more efficient. They use the right gear for the right speed and the better cars will be able to tell when you are cruising and select a higher gear for less fuel consumption while maintaining speed.
Reply 7
Original post by The_Stig
I had a manual for a year, if you commute a lot - then get an automatic. Having a manual navigating through rush hour traffic in London is a ****ing nightmare. Switched to manual and not sure I want to go back. DSG gearboxes, flappy paddles etc - they're just getting better and faster and don't "use more fuel" like someone said above. Its the opposite, they are more efficient. They use the right gear for the right speed and the better cars will be able to tell when you are cruising and select a higher gear for less fuel consumption while maintaining speed.

It depends where you are - London's a nightmare but the towns and stuff near me ain't too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
It depends where you are - London's a nightmare but the towns and stuff near me ain't too bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're in the back and beyond though, if your profile location is accurate :tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by iainvg
You're in the back and beyond though, if your profile location is accurate :tongue:

Hey, at one stage Grimsby was the biggest dock in the UK!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Hey, at one stage Grimsby was the biggest dock in the UK!

Posted from TSR Mobile

A long, long, long time ago :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by iainvg
A long, long, long time ago :tongue:

That's beside the point:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Given that you're just starting out to drive and probably can't afford a very modern car with a twin-clutch gearbox - get the manual. Older autmatics are slow, sap power, and increase fuel consumption.

If you plan to use the car pretty much exclusively for inner-city driving during rush hour, or if you are able to buy/finance/lease a new car with a modern twin-clutch gearbox, go for the automatic.

Quick Reply

Latest