The Student Room Group

Help me british national may have to pay international fees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Poooky
In order for you to be considered for this cat., you'd need your grandparents to live elsewhere in the EU for three years I think.

"and your relevant family member has been ordinarily resident in the EEA and/or Switzerland and/or the overseas territories for the three years before the 'first day of the first academic year of the course' that you are studying."

I'm assuming that it excludes the UK as part of the EEA though

I dont think he qualifes as a relevant family member.
Original post by Ishax
This why you shouldn't move countries if you plan on coming back to study.

England is becoming more strict on this and immigration etc. Just have a look at the EU referendum.

err no those have been the rules for a long time. Not sure telling him he shouldnt have moved countries helps the OP, nire did he appear to have had much choice.
Original post by 999tigger
err no those have been the rules for a long time. Not sure telling him he shouldnt have moved countries helps the OP, nire did he appear to have had much choice.

I'm just stating the facts.

Then he should study in Canada or live in England for 3 years (work), then apply for ucas etc.
I dont think he qualifes as a relevant family member.

ukcisa.PNG

I don't understand the category though- it's labelled under EU nationals though in this case no-one (not the applicant neither the family member) would be an EU national!
I agree the best thing to do would be to contact SFE or UKCISA to be absolutely sure whether you'd qualify or not
Original post by Poooky
ukcisa.PNG

I don't understand the category though- it's labelled under EU nationals though in this case no-one (not the applicant neither the family member) would be an EU national!
I agree the best thing to do would be to contact SFE or UKCISA to be absolutely sure whether you'd qualify or not

Thats just for the definition. he is classed as an EU or UK national based on his passport. He's not a resident though. I believe he was trying to claim via his grandparents. The OP appears to have given up a long time ago and I'm going to sleep now.
Revoke your Canadian citizenship if you have one or claim asylum in England due to Canadian Bears hunting you.
Thats just for the definition. he is classed as an EU or UK national based on his passport. He's not a resident though. I believe he was trying to claim via his grandparents. The OP appears to have given up a long time ago and I'm going to sleep now.

He could get around the residency if his (UK) grandparents lived in the EU, or at least that's what I can gather from this page (or am I missing something? :colondollar:)
ukcisa 2.PNG

Fair enough, good night! :smile:
Number 3
Which of these categories are you claiming to fall into?

Home fees.jpg
Ok sorry about this guys I'm just getting desperate now. Yeah I've accepted it now it's not going to work. And I can't cough up like the rest of the foreigners I don't have the money
Yes look under the definition I am a relevant family member
Wait I though I said I accepted it lol it seems to be harder than I thought
Original post by Earlofthegrey
Yes look under the definition I am a relevant family member

You would have to prove that you are DEPENDENT on your grandparents for that category to apply.

If you can prove that your time in Canada was temporary then you might be able to claim home fees and student support.

If you're classed as an EU national based on your grandparents then you would not be eligible for student finance for living costs only for tuition fees.

If you're a UK national then just move back to the UK for a year while you apply for your course - that will show you to be independent of your parents and make your time in Canada temporary.
Original post by PQ
You would have to prove that you are DEPENDENT on your grandparents for that category to apply.

If you can prove that your time in Canada was temporary then you might be able to claim home fees and student support.

If you're classed as an EU national based on your grandparents then you would not be eligible for student finance for living costs only for tuition fees.

If you're a UK national then just move back to the UK for a year while you apply for your course - that will show you to be independent of your parents and make your time in Canada temporary.

Thanks for getting back PQ.

I thought he had to be dependent as well, which considering hes with his parents in Canada is almost an impossibility.

The time in Canada doesnt look temporary as thats what the admissions officer said i.e the parents were permanent movers.

Good point about fees only and EU national.

So if you know (from your experience) the return to the UK for a year as an independent would turn his absence into a temporary one, then that would seem to be the solution and the OP's escape card.
Wait I though I said I accepted it lol it seems to be harder than I thought

PQ seems to have given you a way out.
Thank you for all your help guys and special thanks to PQ. I just got a response from a few unis and I've been told I qualify for home fees by UKCISA and I have also been told that I don't when my grandad called. Essentially, an admissions tutor contacted on my behalf and he got back to me saying it's likely I qualify under a new regulation starting this year. But, my grandad phoned yesterday and I was told I don't.
Thank you for all your help guys and special thanks to PQ. I just got a response from a few unis and I've been told I qualify for home fees by UKCISA and I have also been told that I don't when my grandad called. Essentially, an admissions tutor contacted on my behalf and he got back to me saying it's likely I qualify under a new regulation starting this year. But, my grandad phoned yesterday and I was told I don't.

Your fee status will be assessed by each university you apply for. It is possible that they will come to different conclusions based on the same evidence. Each will ask you to complete a fee assessment questionnaire.

You will also need to be assessed for eligibility for student support. If you apply for student support as an EU student then you would only be able to apply for a tuition fee loan. If you apply for (and are awarded ) support as a UK student then you would also be eligible for living cost support. The student finance agency for your UK region would carry out that assessment. Again based on your residence history and any evidence you can provide to prove ordinary UK residence.

UK universities are strictly limited to admitting 7% or less non- home students for medicine degrees. I would strongly recommend moving back to the UK to work as a HCA or similar during your application year. It will make your fee status, eligibility for student support and therefore your chances of securing a med school offer MUCH higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending