The Student Room Group

2nd Year Moving Back Into Halls

Basically my housing situation was a bit of a mess at the end of last year and because I really don`t get on with current flatmates in my private accommodation I`ve decided to try and leave and there`s a chance I can move back into Uni Halls.

All of the others would be first years so I was just wondering if this looks weird at all moving back into Halls? If someone asks where I`m staying I`ll probably be a bit embarrassed but at the same time I hate where I am currently and have no social life with my flatmates anyway so the possibility of being in a better situation is worth the risk right?
I'm a first year in private accommodation with everyone further on in their studies, and we all get on like a house on fire...you could go into halls, but who is to say that the grass is greener on the other side? You may have the same issues that you did last year, and because they are younger than you, you may have more issues. If I was you, I'd ask your private accommodation landlord, or whoever deals with allocations, and see if they can move you to a flat more suitable for you, if you have already started your tenancy, they may be reluctant to do so, or to let you leave. Hope this helps :smile: good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it would be weird. I know people who lived in halls all the way through uni, some people just prefer that atmosphere. However it's going to be louder and messier than private halls so make sure you're okay with signing up to living with partying freshers.
Original post by The Monk
Basically my housing situation was a bit of a mess at the end of last year and because I really don`t get on with current flatmates in my private accommodation I`ve decided to try and leave and there`s a chance I can move back into Uni Halls.

All of the others would be first years so I was just wondering if this looks weird at all moving back into Halls? If someone asks where I`m staying I`ll probably be a bit embarrassed but at the same time I hate where I am currently and have no social life with my flatmates anyway so the possibility of being in a better situation is worth the risk right?

Hello :smile:,

It doesn't matter what people say or do - generally halls is cheaper and easier and you could live there for all three years if you felt like you wanted too. If they ask and you don't want to give the real reason, use this excuse.

Good luck
Don't burden yourself with worrying about taking the best available option.

It would be fine. Houses can be hit or miss whether you get on or not, but with halls there is more scope to meet more people. Dont think it will be any different if they are first years.
Reply 6
Similar thing happened with me, when asked why I was in halls 2nd year I just said my housing fell through at the last minute. No-one batted an eyelid!

If you move out of private accomodation you usually have to find a replacement tenant or carry on paying rent.

Quick Reply

Latest