The Student Room Group

Is it advantageous to send off your Personal Statement early?

For dentistry..
Not really no. make sure your application is the best it can possibly be and don't rush it.
Reply 2
Back when I was applying, I was told it's always best to send your application earlier because universities start giving out offers before they are actually supposed to. That was 5 years ago
Original post by Nadile
Back when I was applying, I was told it's always best to send your application earlier because universities start giving out offers before they are actually supposed to. That was 5 years ago

ANd it was as untrue then as is it now.

Universities know what they're looking for - applying early offers no advantages and in some cases can make a rejection more likely.
Original post by PQ

Universities know what they're looking for - applying early offers no advantages and in some cases can make a rejection more likely.

If you're trying to say that universities give equal consideration all the way through the cycle, isn't that undermined by also saying that applying early can reduce your chances of getting an offer?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
If you're trying to say that universities give equal consideration all the way through the cycle, isn't that undermined by also saying that applying early can reduce your chances of getting an offer?

If you apply early with a rushed PS or with a PS that talks alot about things that you "will" do or with poor predictions because you haven't yet managed to demonstrate to your teachers that you're capable of higher grades or with a rushed reference that isn't ideal then you're obviously reducing your chances of receiving an offer.

Never underestimate the impact good research into your chosen courses, that extra redraft of your PS, an extra few weekends reading around your subject or watching online lectures or reading blogs, etc etc etc can have on your chances of getting an offer.
Universities have to give equal consideration to applications received before the equal consideration deadline - for most courses this is January 15th. You should take the opportunity you have to produced the highest standard application form you can.

David (Enquiries, Wrexham Glyndwr University)
Hello, i'm the parent of a 19 year old who is doing the final year of his HND, so if he wants to go to uni will be entering into the second year. I know that for UCAS you fill in your application online, and I think it's the same for your Personal Statement, that is then forwarded to UCAS ,yes? Can I ask, is your Personal Statement sent at the same time as your Application? Or does it not matter? Really no idea how this works,and my son doesn't either.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ

Original post by PQ
If you apply early with a rushed PS or with a PS that talks alot about things that you "will" do or with poor predictions because you haven't yet managed to demonstrate to your teachers that you're capable of higher grades or with a rushed reference that isn't ideal then you're obviously reducing your chances of receiving an offer.

Never underestimate the impact good research into your chosen courses, that extra redraft of your PS, an extra few weekends reading around your subject or watching online lectures or reading blogs, etc etc etc can have on your chances of getting an offer.

What my teachers would say is that the same application sent earlier will have higher chances than if you send it at the last moment. My school would never send out rushed applications, all personal statements had to be approved by my head of 6th form and she would give feedback on them as many times as necessary until it was good. Same with the entire application.
Original post by markova21
Hello, i'm the parent of a 19 year old who is doing the final year of his HND, so if he wants to go to uni will be entering into the second year. I know that for UCAS you fill in your application online, and I think it's the same for your Personal Statement, that is then forwarded to UCAS ,yes? Can I ask, is your Personal Statement sent at the same time as your Application? Or does it not matter? Really no idea how this works,and my son doesn't either.

Sent at the same time, if he is entering the second year then where he puts the course he wants to do there is a box for "year of entry", here he would enter 2 for the second year
Reply 10
Original post by Nadile
What my teachers would say is that the same application sent earlier will have higher chances than if you send it at the last moment. My school would never send out rushed applications, all personal statements had to be approved by my head of 6th form and she would give feedback on them as many times as necessary until it was good. Same with the entire application.

Do you trust a teacher more than someone who works in university admissions?

And @PQ didn't say to "send it at the last minute" - that's also a recipe for disaster too. (Internet glitches, etc.)
Last year I applied the day before the deadline (actually about 10 hours before the deadline) and I got offers from all of my chosen universities, although I wouldn't advise leaving it that late, I do advise that enough time is taken on your personal statement and application, sending it off early has no real advantage other than the fact you might get your offer (or rejection) earlier than you would have if you sent your application off closer to the deadline.
Reply 12
Original post by jneill
Do you trust a teacher more than someone who works in university admissions?

And @PQ didn't say to "send it at the last minute" - that's also a recipe for disaster too. (Internet glitches, etc.)

I'm not saying that at all. I just wanted to clarify that my school didn't rush applications. It might be that they lied to prevent people from applying at the last moment. Or their information may simply be dated. Thanks for the info though. I have a fair amount of younger friends who I'm sure will be relieved that they can take their time.
Original post by Nadile

There's definitely no advantage to applying early.

Being organised and working through your application etc early is great - getting your application in at 9am on 1st September or 6pm of January 15th wont make any difference to how it is treated by university admissions staff....and in many cases applying early will just mean you get to wait for longer.
Original post by lemonandlime1
Sent at the same time, if he is entering the second year then where he puts the course he wants to do there is a box for "year of entry", here he would enter 2 for the second year

Thank you.
September really isn't that early for a dentistry application anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending