The Student Room Group

Short forms in personal statement

Should i use MOOC or type the entire thing out when mentioning it in my personal statement ? I initially used MOOC but my career teacher has told me to type the entire thing out and not use short forms. Another short form i used was BGIC which stands for Borneo Global Issues Conference (something like MUN but smaller).

What does UCAS recommend ? And any official statement by UCAS would be good as i dont think she would take a strangers opinion from TSR as reliable. Thank you
I haven't really seen anyone from UCAS post in here (I don't know if UCAS has an official representative on TSR), but the general rule is write it out in full the first time, acronym afterwards in brackets, then you can use the acronym after that. Some very common ones can be used from the outset, but I don't think those qualify. Best to err on the side of caution anyway
Reply 2
Original post by *Interrobang*
I haven't really seen anyone from UCAS post in here (I don't know if UCAS has an official representative on TSR), but the general rule is write it out in full the first time, acronym afterwards in brackets, then you can use the acronym after that. Some very common ones can be used from the outset, but I don't think those qualify. Best to err on the side of caution anyway

Even for generally known acronyms like MOOC ? I understand if its for less well known acronyms such as BGIC (Borneo Global Issues Conference).
Original post by lyamlim97
Even for generally known acronyms like MOOC ? I understand if its for less well known acronyms such as BGIC (Borneo Global Issues Conference).

I'm not familiar with the specific area (obviously different subjects have different common acronyms). You may be OK with MOOC, I don't know. I would say definitely write out the other one in full tho
Original post by lyamlim97

Most admissions staff will understand what a MOOC is - or you can always just refer to "online modules" or "online courses" as a compromise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending