The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by C0balt
Welcome back! I hope the girls are treating you well :biggrin:

Thank you - it's nice to be back on TSR after a (very) short break! No students around yet but am settling in nicely. I hope you're looking forward to starting soon! :smile:
Original post by Luke7456
Normally you get offers based upon As to A level. However I am self teaching and since its maths, further maths and additional further maths, I will either have An A level and an AS or 2 A levels/1 A level and two AS How does that work with Cambridge would that still get an offer? because If I have A*A* surely the offer would literally be just A/A* would that hurt my chances or is that fine.

Sorry, you're question and follow up answers are a bit confusing but I am assuming you are applying for Maths and are a mature student? We normally need to see three A Levels in addition to STEP. I think you will need to contact the college/s to which you wish to apply to get their advice on how they would deal with your individual case. My instinct would be that you would get a A*A* offer and 1,1, in STEP II & III.
Original post by Friskaaaay
Hi Dr. Spencer

Say if I were to apply to your college post A levels to do either Computer Science or Engineering, for which I may have all A*s with 90 + UMS in all modules. However my GCSEs weren’t the best: 4 A*s and 7 As, I was wondering what the effect my GCSEs would have on my chances of being a successful applicant?

Finally out of curiosity, for those students who no longer have the opportunity to do AS levels at some schools, would you put a bigger emphasis on their GCSEs? Would you advise them to take AS levels out of school?

Thank you for taking part in this forum, it’s much appreciated!

-F

P.S. Apologies if such questions have been asked already.

Thank you for your questions. If you have a strong improvement from GCSE to A Level, which 90+ in all modules would certainly represent compared with your GCSEs (which are not bad at all, though a little below the Cambridge average), then you will find yourself in a strong position on paper as we like to see upwards trajectory in applicants where this is possible.

I would not recommend students taking reformed stand-alone AS Levels out of school - students should do what their schools advise. We would like to see students taking them where their school decides this is possible but those who do not because their school has decided that it isn't possible will not be disadvantaged.
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Thank you - it's nice to be back on TSR after a (very) short break! No students around yet but am settling in nicely.

Any cats?
Original post by jneill
Any cats?

Not yet! :frown: Though the Senior Tutor was just showing me her two new ones!
Original post by MC11V33N
Hi Dr Spencer,
4As in maths, f.maths, chem and phys
Predicted 4A*S
Maths - 297
c1 - 100
c2 - 100
s1 - 97
F. maths - 241
m1 - 85
d1 - 84
fp1 - 72

I know my further UMS is dire. I honestly cannot explain my fp1 result. Any idea how likely am I to get to interview applying for mathematics?
Many Thanks!

Hello and thanks for your question. Obviously your FM Maths scores are a bit disappointing. I think that the strength of your Maths AS Level modules would probably still be enough to get you an interview but you'll have to be aware that you'll be going into the interviews behind on paper compared with many candidates. The insurance of STEP, however, allows us to take risks in Maths offers if we see potential which we can always do in other subjects.
Original post by SulfurRingROKer
Oooh it's my first time ever writing something on TSR,
I want to ask if my grades are good enough for me to get an interview at least.
I'm applying to Churchill college (only applied there because of description 'music recording room' haha) for engineering. I live in Moscow, if it makes any difference.

My IGCSEs : 9A*s and 2As (for Eng lit and lang, it's near impossible gee :/ )
AS Level : 5As : maths, further maths, physics, chemistry, Russian (I'm from South Korea, so that counts as a foreign language for me I guess?)
Module breakdown:
Core Maths 1&2 (international students have combined module called C12): 200/200
FP1: 95/100
D1: 80/100
M1: 100/100
M2: 90/100

Lowest UMS is D1, but it shouldn't matter that much I hope as I'm going for engineering...

Also another question, engineering in Churchill college, do I need to take ANY STEP papers? It doesn't specify on the Cambridge website, and in my school they were all like engineering definitely requires STEP I and STEP II, maybe even STEP III. I'm confused about this, and would really appreciate your help :smile: thank you

I can't see any reason why you wouldn't get an interview with those scores. Churchill don't ask for STEP in Engineering. There is a guide to Engineering which tells you what each college wants/ask for. No college asks for STEP II or STEP III in Engineering as far as I am aware. Your school needs to update its knowledge!
Sorry, you're question and follow up answers are a bit confusing but I am assuming you are applying for Maths and are a mature student? We normally need to see three A Levels in addition to STEP. I think you will need to contact the college/s to which you wish to apply to get their advice on how they would deal with your individual case. My instinct would be that you would get a A*A* offer and 1,1, in STEP II & III.

Hi Thanks yeah I can be a bit confusing sometimes I will have three A levels I was just saying because of the nature of the maths A levels I would already have complete 1.5-2 of them by my time of applying. thanks for your response.
Original post by Metal Warrior
Hello Dr. Spencer, I'm thinking of applying to Cambridge for Medicine but I'm unsure whether it's too unrealistic due to my GCSE results

GCSEs:
Maths - A*
Core science - A*
Additional Science - A*
English Literature - A*
Spanish - A*
History - A
Religious Studies - A
English Language - A
Music - B
(Please bear in mind I live in an overseas British territory where the results are less than stellar on average)

In AS I achieved three As in Biology, Chemistry and Maths. I got a 97% UMS average for maths but since the other two subjects are linear I there is no UMS. I'm likely predicted three A*s, do I have any chance of getting an interview?

Hello and thanks for your question. There's nothing on your profile so far that suggests you are in danger of not getting an interview at this stage. Obviously there is the BMAT to come but a reasonable performance in that should mean that you get an interview.
Thank you - it's nice to be back on TSR after a (very) short break! No students around yet but am settling in nicely. I hope you're looking forward to starting soon! :smile:

Finally started packing and it's a nightmare. Still feels surreal though and I doubt it will sink in until I actually get there :lol:
Original post by elegantmaths
Hello, for people retaking A levels and STEP, is STEP better left for if/when you get an offer? I was thinking that admissions tutors would want to access your script, which wouldn't be possible if you do STEP before-hand.

Thanks

If you are retaking A Levels, first we'd need to know why you are retaking as the vast majority of successful candidates have achieved or exceeded the offer in two years of A Level study. If you have met the STEP offer before you apply then you'll be in a much stronger position than having yet to do it.
Original post by C0balt
Finally started packing and it's a nightmare. Still feels surreal though and I doubt it will sink in until I actually get there :lol:

It will feel strange and a bit surreal even after you arrive. Will settle down soon though and it's always important for all new students to remember that they deserve to be there and have done really well to do so! :smile:
It will feel strange and a bit surreal even after you arrive. Will settle down soon though and it's always important for all new students to remember that they deserve to be there and have done really well to do so! :smile:

Thank you, I'll try to keep that in mind, though the freshers group chat on Facebook is making me feel out of place already :rofl:
Original post by C0balt
Thank you, I'll try to keep that in mind, though the freshers group chat on Facebook is making me feel out of place already :rofl:

I think a good rule of thumb for any Fresher is to ignore anything in the freshers group chat on Facebook - it's not representative of what you'll find in Cambridge!
Reply 134
Hello again TSR. My name is Dr Andrew Spencer and I am the Admissions Tutor at Murray Edwards College in Cambridge. Welcome to my tenth Ask an Admissions Tutor thread, this time in my new guise as Murray Edwards Admissions. The @Christ's Admissions profile, which I ran for the last three years, will continue under my successor but for the next month before the application deadline for Cambridge, I'll be answering your questions here so please fire away.

Hi Dr spencer. I wanted to know about admissions and acceptance rates typically relating to indian international students. How fierce is the competition and how many people are typically accepted. And if you have any knowledge about admissions at university of bristol to be precise, I would love to hear.
Thank you
Is there any chance of me getting an offer based on further maths, which I am sitting on it's own in my gap year?
The course is natsci and I already have A levels in maths, biology & chemistry - could I get an offer based off further maths? It will be pretty relevant, as I'm doing S1, S2 & S3 as part of the qualification so fairly useful w.r.t. biology
Original post by k.russell
Is there any chance of me getting an offer based on further maths, which I am sitting on it's own in my gap year?
The course is natsci and I already have A levels in maths, biology & chemistry - could I get an offer based off further maths? It will be pretty relevant, as I'm doing S1, S2 & S3 as part of the qualification so fairly useful w.r.t. biology

You might get one, though if you are applying for Bio Nat Sci I would think it's unlikely. I assume you've met the standard offer already?
Original post by maya438
Hi Dr spencer. I wanted to know about admissions and acceptance rates typically relating to indian international students. How fierce is the competition and how many people are typically accepted. And if you have any knowledge about admissions at university of bristol to be precise, I would love to hear.
Thank you

Some stats here:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/india

(But you aren't only in competition with other Indian candidates per se.)

Hold on, "Bristol"? This is a Cambridge thread :smile:
You need http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=21
I think a good rule of thumb for any Fresher is to ignore anything in the freshers group chat on Facebook - it's not representative of what you'll find in Cambridge!

Just like TSR I suppose!
Original post by maya438
Thank you

The India page on the Cambridge website gives you a sense of the number of applications, offers and acceptances in recent years. There's no competition among Indian students, we don't have quotas for particular nationalities - you're just up against everybody else. I know nothing about admissions at Bristol, sorry.

Latest

Trending

Trending