The Student Room Group

English

Does anybody know how I can revise for GCSE English? How do top set students revise for English? And what is a Major factor to getting top grades? Thanks...
I did mine in 2015 so the format of yours is likely different from mine (I know you have the numerical grading now as well). Ultimately it depends on how you learn as an individual. Do you know the layout of the exam or exams? e.g the kinds of questions and sections.I could try and give some advice on the basis of that.
Original post by mivoknta
Does anybody know how I can revise for GCSE English? How do top set students revise for English? And what is a Major factor to getting top grades? Thanks...

I didn't revise for english, but got an A* in lang and lit (2016)!:tongue: I can give you some advice if you want though!:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
I didn't revise for english, but got an A* in lang and lit (2016)!:tongue: I can give you some advice if you want though!:smile:

I am interested also in good advice, please! thank you!
Original post by the_queen
I am interested also in good advice, please! thank you!

OK, for english lit... I didn't actually read any of the books! But the main thing you need to do is revise the themes and the characters qualities for each book. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO MAKE YOUR ESSAYS CONCISE! Seriously, I cannot stress this enough! Make sure you embed quotations in your essays and ALWAYS link back to the question- it will make sure you don't drift away from the point of the question... In every point you make, make sure it is backed up with EVIDENCE. Make sure you ANALYSE single words... and when you get an extract LINK it to the rest of the book- other SIGNIFICANT events! This helps A LOT!

For english lang watch mr salles videos on youtube for OCR (he saved me 30 mins before the exam LOL...) and I heard that Mr bruff is good for AQA...

For lit, I did lord of the flies, to kill a mockingbird and a view from the bridge, so if you need any help just ask me!

If you need any more SPECIFIC advice, PM me!:h:
Thank you, Sunshine! I am with Edexcel. Do you have any recommendation like for OCR and AQA?
Original post by the_queen
Thank you, Sunshine! I am with Edexcel. Do you have any recommendation like for OCR and AQA?

No sorry, I don't know anything about Edexcel!:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest