The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys! Thanks for all your help in this feed and congrats to everyone on the great results!

Having just done my UKCAT I got 683

VR - 710
QR - 700
AR - 638
(AAA at AS)

I'm hoping to apply for Barts (possibly GEM and UG) and Bristol .. do you think my scores are good enough? Also, any tips for another two solid enough choices? I would ideally like to be in SE England!
Hey guys! Thanks for all your help in this feed and congrats to everyone on the great results!

VR - 710
QR - 700
AR - 638
(AAA at AS and 2.1)

I'm hoping to apply for Barts (possibly GEM and UG) and Bristol .. do you think my scores are good enough? Also, any tips for another two solid enough choices? I would ideally like to be in SE England!
Original post by Ncollins93
Hi there,
I sat my UKCAT this morning and didn't do as well as I had hoped:

VR 590
QR 690
AR 580
SJ band 3 (even though I got band 1 in my mock!!)

I was wondering if anyone knows cutoffs or what score is needed to get into Newcastle and Warwick? Or what they were last year so I have some idea of whether I stand a chance of getting in?

Any help would be much appreciated! :biggrin:

Hey :smile: based on information i have found in this feed .. Newcastle is quite UKCAT heavy. I thiink that Warwick take verbal reasoning into account separately to the other scores so you would want a good VR score to apply there (not 100% sure on this).

Some unis which aren't ukcat heavy are Birmingham, Bristol, Sheffield, Keele, Cardiff, UEA and Leicester.
Hi guys,

I'm taking a gap year and reapplying to medicine for 2017 entry. I got 623.5 in my UKCAT last year which was awful :frown:! I applied to UEA, Imperial, QMUL and Bristol. Even though people say UEA isn't that UKCAT heavy, I still didn't get an interview unfortunately. I also messed up on the BMAT, so Imperial rejected me straight away. QMUL also rejected me and that genuinely was a bad choice and I only found out after I put down QMUL as one of my options. Bristol was the only uni that gave me an interview and it's MMI which some people find difficult, but I didn't think it went too badly, but ended up getting rejected after interview :frown:. I'm doing the UKCAT again this year and hopefully I perform better this year. I didn't think of the UKCAT as much last year which was such a bad mistake! If you guys have any questions about applications or Bristol interview advice, I'm here to help!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by masterscientist2
Hi guys,

I'm taking a gap year and reapplying to medicine for 2017 entry. I got 623.5 in my UKCAT last year which was awful :frown:! I applied to UEA, Imperial, QMUL and Bristol. Even though people say UEA isn't that UKCAT heavy, I still didn't get an interview unfortunately. I also messed up on the BMAT, so Imperial rejected me straight away. QMUL also rejected me and that genuinely was a bad choice and I only found out after I put down QMUL as one of my options. Bristol was the only uni that gave me an interview and it's MMI which some people find difficult, but I didn't think it went too badly, but ended up getting rejected after interview :frown:. I'm doing the UKCAT again this year and hopefully I perform better this year. I didn't think of the UKCAT as much last year which was such a bad mistake! If you guys have any questions about applications or Bristol interview advice, I'm here to help!

When is your UKCAT? Did you prepare for it?
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
When is your UKCAT? Did you prepare for it?

My UKCAT's on the 3rd October, next Monday. I am using Medify and 1000 UKCAT questions by ISCMedical
Original post by Ncollins93
Hi there,
I sat my UKCAT this morning and didn't do as well as I had hoped:

VR 590
QR 690
AR 580
SJ band 3 (even though I got band 1 in my mock!!)

I was wondering if anyone knows cutoffs or what score is needed to get into Newcastle and Warwick? Or what they were last year so I have some idea of whether I stand a chance of getting in?

Any help would be much appreciated! :biggrin:

Yeah Newcastle is pretty heavy on UKCAT and I do believe Warwick look at your VR score for interview selection and then your overall average after that.

Original post by zaeem.m
Hey Guys! So I've been reading your posts about the UKCAT and it really helped me in the days leading up to the exam. I finished mine this morning and got an average of 683 and Band 2 in Situational Judgement. The test is so much more easier than the Mocks! Especially QR- there was one question that would take some time but I guessed and moved onto the easier ones! How do you guys think this score is?

I'm an international student so where would you guys recommend I apply to? Really want to go to King's College London

Really appreciate any replies
Thanks

Great score! I am aware King's is HEAVY for UKCAT. People tend to have 700+ plus but I would check cut offs as your score is very good and very close, just make sure you are careful.
Original post by mbradley42

VR - 710
QR - 700
AR - 638
(AAA at AS)

@mbradley I am aware that Barts is very UKCAT heavy so make on their website or have a look at the cut offs. I have heard Barts being 700+ before but your score is good so I would check.
You guys all got such amazing scores!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was so easy about the QR? In Medify I can't break 600 in QR :'( Like I just did the last mock and got 550 on it for QR.

What made it easier in the exam and what scores did you get in mocks if I can ask pls?

Well done once again.
My UKCAT's on the 3rd October, next Monday. I am using Medify and 1000 UKCAT questions by ISCMedical

mine is on the same day :smile: how long have you been prepping for? x
Original post by mbradley42

VR - 710
QR - 700
AR - 638
(AAA at AS and 2.1)

warwick is a good option , they screen on VR scored first :smile: IMO if you don't have a 1st or a masters...avoid barts x

what was your VR Technique?? x
Original post by aamin96
Got mine on wednesday and the mocks are scaring me

SAME! In the official ones I have gotten so much lower than I wanted. I got 551 in A, 548 in B, and 582 in C. Slightly happier with C because I want around 600-650 in the exam. Anything above is just amazing for me tbh because I am so bad at this.
Mine is tomorrow. I was terrified but now I'm calm.*

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Good luck then if it's tomorrow!!!!!!!!! How do your mocks score?
hiya, just wanted to know is barts gcse heavy?? they haven't stated in the 2017 entry requirement if they are going to look at gcses. they've only said AAA predicted and AAA a-level
Thanks for the replies guys,

I am also wondering if I can get onto a 5 year medical programme on the basis of a BTEC :frown:? I was going to apply to the 4 year graduate medical programme (as I have a upper second class Bsc in psychology with criminology) but they tend to want A levels, the only 2 that don't are Newcastle and warwick and they are quite UKCAT heavy and I only scored 630, and then I was thinking about applying to the 6 year programme with a foundation year but they tend not to like graduates applying! I feel quite stuck, does anyone have any suggestions?
Original post by .......Jeff458
Yeah Newcastle is pretty heavy on UKCAT and I do believe Warwick look at your VR score for interview selection and then your overall average after that.

Great score! I am aware King's is HEAVY for UKCAT. People tend to have 700+ plus but I would check cut offs as your score is very good and very close, just make sure you are careful.

@mbradley I am aware that Barts is very UKCAT heavy so make on their website or have a look at the cut offs. I have heard Barts being 700+ before but your score is good so I would check.
You guys all got such amazing scores!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what was so easy about the QR? In Medify I can't break 600 in QR :'( Like I just did the last mock and got 550 on it for QR.

What made it easier in the exam and what scores did you get in mocks if I can ask pls?

Well done once again.

Hi I just thought I would add that although I didn't score great in QR (690), it is much higher than what I did in the mocks and it was my most dreaded section but then turned out to be my best - the questions I had were all quite straightforward. I had the 1000 ukcat practice question book by ICS medical and the questions in the exam were much easier than the ones in the book. I was scoring less than 500 in my mocks.
Reply 5793
Hi there! Just did my UKCAT today! I got an average of 780 and band 2 in sjt.

Here's the breakdown of my scores and take on each section:

VR: 760
Tbh I expected it to be wayyyy harder after reading the posts on here, but for me it was about the same standard as medify and slightly easier than the isc medical 1000 questions. Just keep track of time (for me I made sure i was on the 6th passage by the 10 minute mark) and scan for keywords! Don't bother reading the passage because you'll waste too much time.

QR: 900
SO MUCH EASIER THAN EVERYTHING I'VE EVER DONE. a majority of the questions was just basic addition, answered like 5 from just looking at the data. Don't worry too much about it! :smile: But I finished right on the dot so I had no time to check the ones I guessed (about 2 or 3)

AR: 670
this section really threw me off.... :frown: it was so much more difficult than any mock I've ever done. (I was used to getting 700s or above) Couldn't figure out like 5 sets and spent too much time on each of them so I didn't have much time left for the easy ones. I'm quite disappointed with my score because AR was the section I spent most time and effort on.

SJT: Band 2
I kind of underestimated this section because everyone was telling me how easy it was to get band 1 here that I neglected it after I got band 1 on a medify mock.

resources used: Kaplan 1000 questions (good for exam tips, qr was closest to the actual), isc medical 1000q (okay-ish for ar and vr, qr is WAY too hard), ukcat ninja (i didn't like it tbh. the design of the site was faulty and kept erasing my data, mock results aren't scaled for you), medify

I think medify was the most useful resource for me, I bought it 12 days before my exam and didn't regretted a single moment! The mocks gave me a rough idea of what i needed to improve on. (I got 633, 677 and 800)

I only started studying seriously a few days before I bought medify (about 3 hours a day), so to the worried last minute crammers, don't worry! :smile: you still have some time left

I'm planning to apply to King's, Newcastle, Edinburgh and St Georges/ Bristol for UG med.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! As for those who are taking their UKCAT soon, good luck!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by hayott
Hi there! Just did my UKCAT today! I got an average of 780 and band 2 in sjt.

Here's the breakdown of my scores and take on each section:

VR: 760
Tbh I expected it to be wayyyy harder after reading the posts on here, but for me it was about the same standard as medify and slightly easier than the isc medical 1000 questions. Just keep track of time (for me I made sure i was on the 6th passage by the 10 minute mark) and scan for keywords! Don't bother reading the passage because you'll waste too much time.

QR: 900
SO MUCH EASIER THAN EVERYTHING I'VE EVER DONE. a majority of the questions was just basic addition, answered like 5 from just looking at the data. Don't worry too much about it! :smile: But I finished right on the dot so I had no time to check the ones I guessed (about 2 or 3)

AR: 670
this section really threw me off.... :frown: it was so much more difficult than any mock I've ever done. (I was used to getting 700s or above) Couldn't figure out like 5 sets and spent too much time on each of them so I didn't have much time left for the easy ones. I'm quite disappointed with my score because AR was the section I spent most time and effort on.

SJT: Band 2
I kind of underestimated this section because everyone was telling me how easy it was to get band 1 here that I neglected it after I got band 1 on a medify mock. Just make sure to read the good medical practice document!

resources used: Kaplan 1000 questions (good for exam tips, qr was closest to the actual), isc medical 1000q (okay-ish for ar and vr, qr is WAY too hard), ukcat ninja (i didn't like it tbh. the design of the site was faulty and kept erasing my data, mock results aren't scaled for you), medify

I think medify was the most useful resource for me, I bought it 12 days before my exam and didn't regretted a single moment! The mocks gave me a rough idea of what i needed to improve on. (I got 633, 677 and 800)

I'm planning to apply to King's, Newcastle, Edinburgh and St Georges/ Bristol for UG med.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! As for those who are taking their UKCAT soon, good luck!!!

can you sort of go through your VR technique please?? like as soon as you read the question, what do you ? :smile: well done on the score!!!
Original post by Lostperson
mine is on the same day :smile: how long have you been prepping for? x

I've used three weeks of medify and tried to use the 1000 practice questions book. Just started doing mocks and the AR seems too easy in Mock 2 and last year it was unbelievably difficult and I guessed everything so my main focus is AR. My VR is also weak, I got 570 last year :frown:. Hopefully, I do better this year! Good luck to you next week too! What resources are you using and how are you finding practice?

Great. Good luck. I did UKCAT last year and got 615... really poor... but will change it tomorrow hehe.
Great. Good luck. I did UKCAT last year and got 615... really poor... but will change it tomorrow hehe.

Good luck!
I've used three weeks of medify and tried to use the 1000 practice questions book. Just started doing mocks and the AR seems too easy in Mock 2 and last year it was unbelievably difficult and I guessed everything so my main focus is AR. My VR is also weak, I got 570 last year :frown:. Hopefully, I do better this year! Good luck to you next week too! What resources are you using and how are you finding practice?

I'm exactly the same as you. I HATE AR! I have got better at it though, I've been finding AR easier on medify. last year my mistake was i wasted a long time trying to figure out sets in the beginning and all the easy ones were at the end!!!
Reply 5799
Original post by Lostperson
can you sort of go through your VR technique please?? like as soon as you read the question, what do you ? :smile: well done on the score!!!

Thank you! Once I read the question I'll pick 1 keyword (usually a name, number or a distinct word) and scan the passage for it. If I can't find anything after 20 seconds, I'll just choose a random option and move on.

As for those questions that ask for a author's stance or summary of the passage, I'll scan read the first and last paragraph.

Just remember to practice scanning for keywords! Once you get better at it, you'll find your scores improving by a lot

Quick Reply

Latest