The Student Room Group

Oxford history 2017 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quinnthequail
Hey guys, my name is Quinn and I'm applying for History and Politics. I'm an international student (US) doing the IB so I'll just tweak the qs.

Higher Level subjects: History, English, Biology
Standard Level subjects: Physics, Math, French
Ideal college: Corpus Christi
Specialty: Cold War

Any other people applying H&P?

I am also doing the IB and am applying for History and Politics. Glad to see I am not the only IB student.
Hey guys im lauren im applying for history and politics!!

im in scotland so i did Nat 5s and Highers

AAAAAAAA at National 5
AAAAA at Higher - Maths, History, Modern Studies, English, Economics
Predicted 3As at Advanced higher - History, Modern Studies, Economics

Ideal college - Univ
Speciality - Liberal Reforms/German Revolution

I'm also applying for Economics/History Economics/Politics at other unis so I hope this doesn't ruin my chances
Hello! I'm Alicia and I'm applying for straight history (after much deliberation having previously wanted to study history and french).

1) GCSE: 9A*, 1A, D*D* and B in level 3 FSMQ maths
2)History,French,English Lit and Maths
3)I got AAAA so was nicely chuffed!
4)still deliberating between brasenose and hertford!
5)Modern History, I currently study germany 1918-1945 and Britain 1851-1964, I absolutely adore the 19th century but have also recently been interested in more ancient history!
6) I did the UNIQ summer school which is oxford's offical summer school for state schools, and also UCL's summer school
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Lauren1498x
Hey guys im lauren im applying for history and politics!!

im in scotland so i did Nat 5s and Highers

AAAAAAAA at National 5
AAAAA at Higher - Maths, History, Modern Studies, English, Economics
Predicted 3As at Advanced higher - History, Modern Studies, Economics

Ideal college - Univ
Speciality - Liberal Reforms/German Revolution

I'm also applying for Economics/History Economics/Politics at other unis so I hope this doesn't ruin my chances

Hello fellow Scot! One of the professors told me Scottish qualifications were harder to use in their algorithms and so the HAT test became more important, but he also said they were acknowledged as harder.
Original post by irrelevantname
Hello fellow Scot! One of the professors told me Scottish qualifications were harder to use in their algorithms and so the HAT test became more important, but he also said they were acknowledged as harder.

I'm happy the recognize the qualifications as harder! And yeah the HAT has me worried if I can't fit one of the topics I know into the question... Not sure but I'm guessing the expect more English students so it's geared more towards stuff they have covered in their curriculum but please correct me if I'm wrong I'm stressing so much! I guess there's also written work which will help as well but I heard Oxford in 2015 only gave 33 offers to Scottish students in total... So I'm worried
the HAT has me worried if I can't fit one of the topics I know into the question... Not sure but I'm guessing the expect more English students so it's geared more towards stuff they have covered in their curriculum but please correct me if I'm wrong

Hi Lauren,

The HAT is quite challenging but 70/100 marks come directly out of sources within the question paper- almost all students will have never studied the period in these. (Last year Scandinavian monks in the early medieval period).

Question 2 is the only part that requires you to draw your own knowledge (although the depth of your knowledge isn't assessed primarily). The questions are very broad to cater for all students and as such you shouldn't ve discouraged. (e.g. Assess the "winners" and "losers" of an event within a historical period or setting you've studied).

My description is in no way the best- be sure to check out the HAT central:

https://www.history.ox.ac.uk/history-aptitude-test-hat

Good luck!
I'm happy the recognize the qualifications as harder! And yeah the HAT has me worried if I can't fit one of the topics I know into the question... Not sure but I'm guessing the expect more English students so it's geared more towards stuff they have covered in their curriculum but please correct me if I'm wrong I'm stressing so much! I guess there's also written work which will help as well but I heard Oxford in 2015 only gave 33 offers to Scottish students in total... So I'm worried

The questions are deliberately open so they can fit almost any period of history, and considering the English study many of the same things as us (Russian revolution, Rise of Nazis, etc.) I don't think they have any advantage in that sense, so don't worry. They also have to cater for IB students, and that's completely different too.

Also, they probably let in fewer Scottish students because there wasn't as many Scottish applications. Remember we've got about the same population as London alone, and many Scottish students remain inside Scotland for the free tuition; you have just as much of a chance as anyone else. On top of that, your exam results are literally the best they could have been. There's no need to stress. :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Is St Johns college a particularly over subscribed college?
Original post by Qmwnebrv
Is St Johns college a particularly over subscribed college?

St John's is one of the more popular colleges, but dont be put off applying there. Oxford "balance" out applicants, to make sure there isn't any advantage to applying to a less popular college.

So in short: Yes, it's an "oversubscribed" college. (Though popular is a better word as no disadvantage applying).

Should you be put off applying there?: Not at all :smile: If you have decent GCSEs and do well enough on the HAT (typically 55+) you will get an interview, though not necessarily there.

(btw St Johns is amazing)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Constantinople
St John's is one of the more popular colleges, but dont be put off applying there. Oxford "balance" out applicants, to make sure there isn't any advantage to applying to a less popular college.

So in short: Yes, it's an "oversubscribed" college. (Though popular is a better word as no disadvantage applying).

Should you be put off applying there?: Not at all :smile: If you have decent GCSEs and do well enough on the HAT (typically 55+) you will get an interview, though not necessarily there.

(btw St Johns is amazing)

My GCSE's arent that amazing
Art B
Maths A
Further maths C
English Literature A
English Language A
Core Science A
Additional Science A
Media A
RE A*
Catering A*
Italian A

But my AS is AAAB (one mark off an A).
And I have a killer personal statement.
It stresses me out because I want to have the best odds but it could be detrimental to choose an oversubscribed college.
Art B
Maths A
Further maths C
English Literature A
English Language A
Core Science A
Additional Science A
Media A
RE A*
Catering A*
Italian A

It stresses me out because I want to have the best odds but it could be detrimental to choose an oversubscribed college.

Biggest factor in getting to interview is the HAT, even then (for History) 70% of applicants are interviewed. So don't think choosing St Johns means you're less likely to be interviewed- simply not true.

Apply to the college you'd be comfortable, not only interviewing at, but spending 3 years studying at. Also I doubt a few strangers posts can do much to reassure, so have a look around at some other colleges. Afterall if you think it'll give you more confidence come interviews why not :smile: But 100% you won't be at a disadvantage when it comes to getting an interview- like I said before you may even end up being interviewed at a different college entirely.

On this point it may be worth also considering an Open Application- which is perfectly acceptable.

PM me if you have any Qs
Art B
Maths A
Further maths C
English Literature A
English Language A
Core Science A
Additional Science A
Media A
RE A*
Catering A*
Italian A

It doesn't matter what college you apply to if you're good enough another college will pick up your application and you'll be accepted there
Original post by historyoxford
Hey guys,Just a question on my PS, I cant decide whether or not to put history theory/historiography in. Some advice has been not to otherwise they'll bring it up at interview (if i get there), whilst other advice has to been to include it as it may make me 'stand out' and then try and deal with it in the interview. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - those applying have you included it? those there or about to start, did you include it?Massive thanks,M

What makes you stand out before interview is in the main everything except your PS. What helps you stand out at interview is - I think - when you've developed your own area of interest, outside of the A level topics you've covered.

And so simply having something on your PS won't make you stand out. Follow your interests. Don't read books cause you think it will impress them, read books because your interested in them. You'll be expected to be able to expand on anything on your PS. You'll get found out in a second if you don't know anything about something on your PS (if they bring it up).
Hey guys,Just a question on my PS, I cant decide whether or not to put history theory/historiography in. Some advice has been not to otherwise they'll bring it up at interview (if i get there), whilst other advice has to been to include it as it may make me 'stand out' and then try and deal with it in the interview. Any advice would be greatly appreciated - those applying have you included it? those there or about to start, did you include it?Massive thanks,M

Absolutely agree with MouseyBrown, its much more important to pack your PS with things that interest you, and you can talk at length about.

Also historiography is much more commonly found in History PS now, so im not sure how much it would really stand out unless you developed a specific point or made it relevant to your area of interest in an unusual way.

My best advice would be to approach it honestly, you could even put in how you want to develop your knowledge of historiography, and a degree from a top university would allow you to acheive this. Etc.

Hope this helps (feel free to PM me with any Qs)
(edited 7 years ago)

You can do, but I think it's more important to simply show how you've developed your knowledge of history outside of school. Don't do anything because it'll "impress."

And whatever you do don't mention E.H Carr- I had a professor tell me that EVERYONE puts him on their PS and they're a bit tired of it.

From what I've heard they might bring up historical theory stuff at interview, but based on the interests you've expressed in your personal statement. Things are likely to become more general because there's no guarantee they're experts in the periods you enjoy.
Sent off my UCAS form...scary stuff!
Hi, my name is Ameer and i'm applying to study History from Pakistan..

GCSEs: 4A*s,2As,4Bs,1C
Alevel subjects: History, business studies, law
Grades in A1: 1A*,2As
Preferred College; somerville
speciality: Russian and Mideastern history
Other interesting stuff: I'm a good horse rider, play the violin and love debates...I've also attended a lot of summer schools including one at Oxford :biggrin: :smile:)

do you think i stand a chance provided i perform well in the HAT accompanied by a strong personal statement? :smile:
Hi @thread starter, My names is Ameer and i'm applying from Pakistan.
GCSE: 4A*s,2As,4Bs and1C (in urdu)
Alevel subjects: World history, Business Studies, law
A1 grades: 1A*,2As
Ideal college: Somerville
Specialty: Love Russian and Middle eastern History
Extra info; Do horse riding, play violin and love debates. have been to two summer schools including one at Oxford

Any chance for me? :smile:)
Hi, I'm applying for History & Economics - any other HEcon applicants?! I haven't met any others so far.

GCSES: 11A* 1A (Design Technology) 1B (FMSQ Additional Mathematics)
A -Level Subjects: History, Maths, Economics, Gov&Pol (AS)
AS Grades: AA in Politics and Maths (History and Economics are linear)
Predicted grades: A*A*A*
Ideal college: Jesus
Speciality: Witchcraft in early modern Europe
Extra info: Debating, Robson Essay Prize (commended), Blogging, GYLC conference in China, volunteering work etc etc.

I really, really love the History and Economics course, but it is ridiculously competitive and I don't think I will get in. I was considering just applying for History because it is my strength and I have better odds for getting in than applying for joint schools, but I realised that I cared a lot about doing the subjects I love, more so than the University (even though I would love to get in). If there are any applicants or students or anyone who can give me some advice on the History and Economics application process - that would be great!
Hey, my names Will Smith. I'm applying for straight History.
1) At GCSE I got 6A* 6A 1B
2) History, Government and Politics, Geography and Religious Studies for A-Level
3) History is linear so didn't have an AS, got A* in the mock. I got AAA for the other AS exams which im so happy with.
4) Applied to New College <3, don't mind getting pooled though
5) Speciality being historiography, revolutions (Fr, Rus, Am), Islamic and Ottoman History, and Art (or niche) History contributions to the straight history understanding (implications for politics and wider society)
6) Err, predicted A*A*A*A, play drums to Grade 8, rugby at club and school, House Captain, love debating and did Parliament Week+ work experience in parliament during the referendum. Also went on the UNIQ summer school at Oxford soo i know ^^Alicia^^^ hey.

Good luck to everyone, this whole process is so full of self doubt and stress:///

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending