The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neuromeg
I think they have to know you quite well - it's going to be a reference on your character and academic abilities. I would really try and get an academic reference, maybe ring your tutor if they're not replying to email? Giving references is pretty standard stuff for university tutors.

The university lecturer declined saying she didn't know me well enough about what I had been doing after university.
Is anyone considering a Cambridge Application? And if so, do you still have your UMS marks for your A Levels?! Mine were 10 years ago, so I am pretty doubtful I'll be able to get them from anywhere.

I'm surprised that you're having trouble with your uni reference. Usually they're pretty helpful as it always looks good on the uni if people go into further education. Maybe one of your subject professors who you got on well with rather than your tutor could provide something?
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
The university lecturer declined saying she didn't know me well enough about what I had been doing after university.

Sorry, I was referring to your personal tutor "My personal tutor never replied to my emails (and was technologically so illiterate sometimes we'd have to start the powerpoints for her) and there's really only one other lecturer I had who knew me by name. " But if no-one from your university can help, then probably worth getting a colleague to do it, but send them some information - like your current CV and your personal statement. So long as they're not going to say anything awful I wouldn't worry too much about it!
Original post by neuromeg
Sorry, I was referring to your personal tutor "My personal tutor never replied to my emails (and was technologically so illiterate sometimes we'd have to start the powerpoints for her) and there's really only one other lecturer I had who knew me by name. " But if no-one from your university can help, then probably worth getting a colleague to do it, but send them some information - like your current CV and your personal statement. So long as they're not going to say anything awful I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Ah yeah I'll see if I can get through to her. I think I'm going to have to go visit her though. Thanks.

EDIT
Since it's past office hours, I've emailed her again but I have a number for her so I might call her up during her office hours which she has tomorrow. I just hope she remembers me. This is the curse of being on a course with so little contact hours and commuting.

I really regret not starting this earlier. And then there's the fact that my HCA job has been delayed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey everyone! Any advice?

I have a 2.2 in biology and am just finishing my MSc in Forensic Medical Science (unless anything magical happens, I'll be getting a merit- the equivalent of a 2.1).

Sat my GAMSAT in March and scored 70,72,79 (75 overall).

Just sat my UKCAT and scored VR: 720, QR: 620, AR: 670 (total 2010, 670 average), with a band 2 in SJ.

I don't have a tonne of work experience, but should have a load before interview.

I'm definitely applying to Nottingham and St Georges. Before taking the UKCAT, I was thinking of applying to Warwick and King's. Preferably want to stay in London, because I can't afford to move out.... but anyway.... do you guys think that applying to Warwick and King's is a total waste? On the other hand, since I f*cked up UKCAT I was thinking about throwing caution to the wind, sitting the BMAT and applying to Oxford, seeing as they don't have "entry requirements" per say..... but that seems like insanity.

Thoughts? x
hey guys
i was wondering how old the stuff you mention in your ps is? (oh and i'm talking non-academic, non-work-experience-related)
because i have some stuff that i did before university (i.e. during school) which demonstrates a lot of good attributes but i don't really have much equivalent stuff that i have done recently....
would unis be likely to ask how long ago you did specific things? not really sure what to do!
where does it say that you a levels need to be within 7years for oxford? x
Original post by Lostperson
where does it say that you a levels need to be within 7years for oxford? x

I can't remember but someone on here quoted an admission tutor or another official source from Cambridge saying a-levels had to be at most 7 years old
Original post by puddleduck
Hey everyone! Any advice?

I have a 2.2 in biology and am just finishing my MSc in Forensic Medical Science (unless anything magical happens, I'll be getting a merit- the equivalent of a 2.1).

Sat my GAMSAT in March and scored 70,72,79 (75 overall).

Just sat my UKCAT and scored VR: 720, QR: 620, AR: 670 (total 2010, 670 average), with a band 2 in SJ.

I don't have a tonne of work experience, but should have a load before interview.

I'm definitely applying to Nottingham and St Georges. Before taking the UKCAT, I was thinking of applying to Warwick and King's. Preferably want to stay in London, because I can't afford to move out.... but anyway.... do you guys think that applying to Warwick and King's is a total waste? On the other hand, since I f*cked up UKCAT I was thinking about throwing caution to the wind, sitting the BMAT and applying to Oxford, seeing as they don't have "entry requirements" per say..... but that seems like insanity.

Thoughts? x

oxford would be very unlikely to shortlist you with a 2:2 x
may be for cambridge but its isn't the case for oxford ... x
may be for cambridge but its isn't the case for oxford ... x

Are you sure? How do you know?
oxford would be very unlikely to shortlist you with a 2:2 x

Haha "very unlikely" is best case scenario :P
I checked the website thoroughly.
Original post by puddleduck
Haha "very unlikely" is best case scenario :P

it says it on the website ... x sorry :frown:
I checked the website thoroughly.

Thanks, are you a current GEM student?
yes yes... just gradated with an MSc at Oxford and did my a levels in 2009. I guess to make sure I can ring them to make sure tomo ... but it says on there that they only really want a chemistry a level, of which I am taking this year anyway x
yes yes... just gradated with an MSc at Oxford and did my a levels in 2009. I guess to make sure I can ring them to make sure tomo ... but it says on there that they only really want a chemistry a level, of which I am taking this year anyway x

So you're a current GEM student at Oxford? Can you give me any hints?
no no sorry haha I'm a gem applicant just graduated from an msc at oxford x
Original post by gmg2710
I myself am a current GEM student, who was accepted to all 4 universities that I applied too. In addition I have sat on interview panels at my current university for the GEM course. Hope this helps.

Have you got any hints or tips? Which university are you at?
no no sorry haha I'm a gem applicant just graduated from an msc at oxford x

Ah cool, best of luck, what was your MSc in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending