The Student Room Group

how to revise for biology ???

Ive just started AS biology (AQA) and in my GCSEs I revised for all the sciences with detailed revision cards but theres just so much content that i am doubting if this is an effective method anymore. How does everyone else revise for bio? Do you just write notes and learn everything from that?
Original post by Tea2345
Ive just started AS biology (AQA) and in my GCSEs I revised for all the sciences with detailed revision cards but theres just so much content that i am doubting if this is an effective method anymore. How does everyone else revise for bio? Do you just write notes and learn everything from that?

I'm writing notes. then majorly condensing those notes down. like legit the MOST important things i highlight or whatever. I'm also doing questions by topic. you can easily find them on the internet. good luck. PM me if you need any bio help, I'm doing the same board as you :biggrin:
Biology isn't that hard to do well in, just do the homework and listen in class
Reply 3
Original post by homeland.lsw
I'm writing notes. then majorly condensing those notes down. like legit the MOST important things i highlight or whatever. I'm also doing questions by topic. you can easily find them on the internet. good luck. PM me if you need any bio help, I'm doing the same board as you :biggrin:

agh ok thanks for your help! Have you just started or are you in year 13? I'm super confused about hydrogen bonding so if you could help that would be so great :smile:
Original post by Tea2345
agh ok thanks for your help! Have you just started or are you in year 13? I'm super confused about hydrogen bonding so if you could help that would be so great :smile:

just started. finished biological molecules and food tests.

hydrogen bonding in what? cellulose? :s-smilie:
Reply 5
just started. finished biological molecules and food tests.

hydrogen bonding in what? cellulose? :s-smilie:

at exactly the same stage! Got a test on wednesday on carbs and food tests so just doing some revision. and i understand about the hydrogen bonding in cellulose (adds strength, forms cross linkages between parallel beta glucose chains etc.) its just the first page in the text book says about polar molecules and the uneven distribution of charge when talking about hydrogen bonding which i don't really get but idk if its that important ??
Original post by Tea2345
at exactly the same stage! Got a test on wednesday on carbs and food tests so just doing some revision. and i understand about the hydrogen bonding in cellulose (adds strength, forms cross linkages between parallel beta glucose chains etc.) its just the first page in the text book says about polar molecules and the uneven distribution of charge when talking about hydrogen bonding which i don't really get but idk if its that important ??

i believe it's the structure of things like water which makes it polar. if you see a water molecule, there are two positively charged hydrogen ions bonded to a negatively charged oxygen atom. this means one side of the molecule is positively charged, and the other side is negatively charged. this makes water polar...

does this help.

because, having a hydrogen ion would make one part of the molecule slightly positively charged as hydrogen is a positively charged ion.
I used mindmaps and revision cards and also by doing questions
Currently studying for A2 biology
You can carry on the same method, i personally just write notes and its worked out quite well so far
Reply 9
i believe it's the structure of things like water which makes it polar. if you see a water molecule, there are two positively charged hydrogen ions bonded to a negatively charged oxygen atom. this means one side of the molecule is positively charged, and the other side is negatively charged. this makes water polar...

does this help.

because, having a hydrogen ion would make one part of the molecule slightly positively charged as hydrogen is a positively charged ion.

yeah kinda thank you!
Reply 10
I find concepts in AS SNAB Biology easy to understand so far (just started learning about systolic/diastolic pressure). I mainly just used highlighters and condensed my notes.
But in Chemistry... I was taught so many lies in GCSE and now it is so hard to get my head around the bonding sections. I'm going to have to put more effort into this.
Original post by Tea2345

I've studied AQA biology AS and A2 and just came out with an A* this year. The best way I've always found is to keep reading your notes, as often as you can. While you learn new topics and do homework for them, take a few minutes to read over your notes on previous areas and make sure you still know your basic principles. Some of my close friends took biology with me and relied on cramming the entire course in the months before the final exams, coming out with Bs and Cs. Making notes on the entire course is just a waste of your time at A level, except for specific topics that you really struggle with.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Cave Felem
I've studied AQA biology AS and A2 and just came out with an A* this year. The best way I've always found is to keep reading your notes, as often as you can. While you learn new topics and do homework for them, take a few minutes to read over your notes on previous areas and make sure you still know your basic principles. Some of my close friends took biology with me and relied on cramming the entire course in the months before the final exams, coming out with Bs and Cs. Making notes on the entire course is just a waste of your time at A level, except for specific topics that you really struggle with.

Hope this helps!

Why is making notes on the entire course a waste of time? What would you do instead?
Yeah, I phrased it badly. Make plenty of notes in class, though don't waste time on further flash cards and revision notes for every topic you do. There's an insane amount of content, so it's a waste of time to rewrite notes you've already made for revision.

Original post by Ginertain
Why is making notes on the entire course a waste of time? What would you do instead?
Yeah, I phrased it badly. Make plenty of notes in class, though don't waste time on further flash cards and revision notes for every topic you do. There's an insane amount of content, so it's a waste of time to rewrite notes you've already made for revision.

So revision for you would be just reading over your notes?

does this help.

You'll get penalised in your exam if you say there are hydrogen ions in water. Water is a polar molecule consisting of atoms of hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen atoms have polar positive charge, while oxygen atoms have polar negative charge.
So revision for you would be just reading over your notes?

Normally, with help from textbook notes. If there are topics that are really hard to learn then resorting to flash cards or further notes is definitely okay. Ultimately, do whatever works for you though.
Normally, with help from textbook notes. If there are topics that are really hard to learn then resorting to flash cards or further notes is definitely okay. Ultimately, do whatever works for you though.

Nothing seems to be working for me though :frown:

I really don't know what does. I got a D in Biology..

It's so difficult revising for biology. Sometimes you just don't know how to answer the questions or what they are even asking for.
You'll get penalised in your exam if you say there are hydrogen ions in water. Water is a polar molecule consisting of atoms of hydrogen and oxygen. Hydrogen atoms have polar positive charge, while oxygen atoms have polar negative charge.

thanks for that, noted :yy:
PM me if you have any specific questions. With regards to answering questions, it's a skill you can learn. Look at past paper questions and then look at the specified answers in the mark schemes. If you learn patterns in questions that makes everything a lot easier, as questions are sometimes phrased very badly.

Nothing seems to be working for me though :frown:

I really don't know what does. I got a D in Biology..

It's so difficult revising for biology. Sometimes you just don't know how to answer the questions or what they are even asking for.

Quick Reply

Latest