The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5820
Original post by mm_7
do barts look at gcses?

They don't specifically. only A levels. But I'm guessing your GCSEs have to be good enough.
Most medicine successful applicants get at least 5A* at gcse
Reply 5821
Original post by masterscientist2
Hi,

I applied for chemical engineering last year as my backup and I got in. You have to send an e-mail to your backup choice, but if you put Biomed or pharmacy as your backup, they usually allow medicine personal statements if I'm not mistaken.

Did you write a separate chemical engineering personal statement?
DId you email them that it was your backup choice and if a medicine personal statement is acceptable? :smile:
Reply 5822
Original post by Jackster556
Personally, I'm just applying for 4 medicine courses. If your confident I suggest you do the same. In case I'm unsuccessful and get no offers, you go through UCAS clearing whereby you get to apply for other courses that have vacancies. Otherwise you can take a gap year, get work experience and try again next year. I'm pretty sure you have to put the same personal statement to all Unis/courses your applying to.

Have you done the UKCAT and if so what did you get?
How were your GCSEs and AS?
Original post by 11...
Did you write a separate chemical engineering personal statement?
DId you email them that it was your backup choice and if a medicine personal statement is acceptable? :smile:

I e-mailed them and they told me that I had to write a completely new personal statement for chemical engineering as it is mostly unrelated to medicine. It definitely is worth the effort as I know a few friends who didn't get into medical school the first time round, so went to study chemical engineering as it is such a good course. I've always had a passion of doing medicine, so I took a gap year! Good luck with your application!
Original post by 11...
They don't specifically. only A levels. But I'm guessing your GCSEs have to be good enough.
Most medicine successful applicants get at least 5A* at gcse

would i not be considered if i got 1A* and 3As at gcse
How hard are the QR sections on UKCAT official test made me cry and got ma test tomz :frown:
Anyone know roughly how 70-75% would score? I'm consistently scoring that in timed assessments.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ASupertramp
Anyone know how roughly 70-75% would score? I'm consistently scoring that in timed assessments.

about 700 x
Original post by Lostperson
about 700 x

Not enough then! More practice.

Thank you :smile:
Original post by mm_7
would i not be considered if i got 1A* and 3As at gcse

You would be. Looking at GCSEs isn't part of their selection process. They weigh it 50:50 with ukcat and ucas tarrif. The assumption that the average person has 5A* is not necessarily true and even if we were to assume that over every university that's just because people who tend to do well at gcse apply to medicine, not that it has an effect to whether they get the place or not.
Hello!

Sorry if this has been answered, could anyone help?

Last year I got 720, 700, 700, 600 (in DA)

I've always done badly on DA as I could never get my head around it

With DA being scrapped this year, does anyone think the cut offs will go up or down? as without it hopefully my average will go up, but I'm worried the cut offs will too
Original post by ohmills
Hello!

Sorry if this has been answered, could anyone help?

Last year I got 720, 700, 700, 600 (in DA)

I've always done badly on DA as I could never get my head around it

With DA being scrapped this year, does anyone think the cut offs will go up or down? as without it hopefully my average will go up, but I'm worried the cut offs will too

It would be logical to think that the cutoffs would be higher this year because there's one less section. The interim scores suggest this too as the scores this year have gone up slightly. But you don't know what to expect by the end of testing? We'll just have to wait and see!
Original post by secondarkhan
How hard are the QR sections on UKCAT official test made me cry and got ma test tomz :frown:

Many in this thread have said it's much easier than the mocks so don't worry.
My ukcat is tomorrow and i'm dreading it, but at the same time cant wait to get it over😂😂, gonna watch like a season of suits afterwards😂😂
just did mock 3 on medify and got 596 average, so that put a downer on the 733 and 653 i got on mock 2 and 1😓

Anyone have last minute VR advice?😁 thanks😊x
Reply 5834
Original post by Louise427
My ukcat is tomorrow and i'm dreading it, but at the same time cant wait to get it over😂😂, gonna watch like a season of suits afterwards😂😂
just did mock 3 on medify and got 596 average, so that put a downer on the 733 and 653 i got on mock 2 and 1😓

Anyone have last minute VR advice?😁 thanks😊x

VR is brutal.
QR and AR is quite easy
SJT is good
Reply 5835
to cover up an average ukcat score of 645, what ucas tariff would be recommended?
not all unis look at tariff points though
Reply 5836
Original post by Squishy•
You would be. Looking at GCSEs isn't part of their selection process. They weigh it 50:50 with ukcat and ucas tarrif. The assumption that the average person has 5A* is not necessarily true and even if we were to assume that over every university that's just because people who tend to do well at gcse apply to medicine, not that it has an effect to whether they get the place or not.

Have you done the ukcat yet and if yes what did you get???
what are your other statistics in terms of GCSEs and AS, A level predictions.
where do you want to apply?
what is your backup choice?

just curious to know what other medicine applicants are doing
Reply 5837
writing an outstanding personal statement is difficult. Any useful tips anybody??? pls
hopefully it is, I ll let u know wat happens tmrw :frown:
Original post by 11...
writing an outstanding personal statement is difficult. Any useful tips anybody??? pls

Medify just released a personal statement course. Worth investing in, it like £10 and they review you PS for you after you draft it. Worth a shot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending