The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squishy•
You would be. Looking at GCSEs isn't part of their selection process. They weigh it 50:50 with ukcat and ucas tarrif. The assumption that the average person has 5A* is not necessarily true and even if we were to assume that over every university that's just because people who tend to do well at gcse apply to medicine, not that it has an effect to whether they get the place or not.

oh ok! thanks! i was starting to worry because i have selected mainly london medical colleges which tend to be ukcat and gcse heavy so i was worrying if i wasn't going to get an offer. I am predicted 3 A's so i have some hope! just got to wait for my ukcat to be over and done with
heyy can anyone help me out i am a bit confused about something regarding the ucas application?
do we apply to 4 medical unis and 1 non-medical or can you do another combination?
i have 4 medical unis but not sure if i need to pick a 5th option or not?
Original post by mm_7
heyy can anyone help me out i am a bit confused about something regarding the ucas application?
do we apply to 4 medical unis and 1 non-medical or can you do another combination?
i have 4 medical unis but not sure if i need to pick a 5th option or not?

You don't have to pick a fifth option but many do just in case they want to do something else if they don't get in.
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
You don't have to pick a fifth option but many do just in case they want to do something else if they don't get in.

ohh ok thanks for your help
can anyone please give some tips for the reading comprehension style questions in VR? do you suggest reading the passage then answering the Q's as its more difficult to look for key words in these qs :frown:
Original post by ellen111
can anyone please give some tips for the reading comprehension style questions in VR? do you suggest reading the passage then answering the Q's as its more difficult to look for key words in these qs :frown:

Don't. I scored 770 in VR in the mocks, not the exam yet, but what I did was flag the difficult or wordy questions and go to the easier ones. Look for the keywords by scanning the passage. You won't have time to read the passage and then read the questions and then answer them.
Go through each criteria:

Only steel or cement companies (i.e. no textile companies)

Turnover more than 1000

Profit more than 10% of turnover.

First limit stock options with the broadest, less calculation-intensive, criteria:

Only steel or cement companies 8

Turnover more than 1000: Of the 8-1=7

Profit more than 10% of turnover of the 7

One of the simpler ways to calculate the number of companies where Profit is more than 10% of turnover is by looking at the graph. Any company with its profit 10% more than turnover, must be positioned above an imaginary diagonal that cuts across the graph. We’ve included an annotated diagram below. The blue dotted shapes are above the line and meet the other two criteria.

Therefore in total 4 companies meet the Investor’s criteria.

did anyone get similar questions in the real QR section for their ukcat???
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Don't. I scored 770 in VR in the mocks, not the exam yet, but what I did was flag the difficult or wordy questions and go to the easier ones. Look for the keywords by scanning the passage. You won't have time to read the passage and then read the questions and then answer them.
aren't the majority of the questions wordy though? thats why I'm worried *
aren't the majority of the questions wordy though? thats why I'm worried *

A few of them are but that's why focus on the easy questions first and come back to those later.

Okay now the important thing here, is to first analyse the questions, are they asking things like "what is the best conclusion", "which of these statements are false", you can't skim and scan the text as you require a deeper understanding of it imo! Either guess, flag and move onto easier ones or quickly skim read the passage and when you do this create a mental map in your head of where everything is.
For questions like "when was X born" or "How long was the book X published" you can scan the text for keywords after reading the question first!
Tbh its all based on personal preference. The best thing to do is experiment with different approaches and find out one that works for you. Execute this plan in the real thing
Original post by mm_7
Go through each criteria:

Only steel or cement companies (i.e. no textile companies)

Turnover more than 1000

Profit more than 10% of turnover.

First limit stock options with the broadest, less calculation-intensive, criteria:

Only steel or cement companies 8

Turnover more than 1000: Of the 8-1=7

Profit more than 10% of turnover of the 7

One of the simpler ways to calculate the number of companies where Profit is more than 10% of turnover is by looking at the graph. Any company with its profit 10% more than turnover, must be positioned above an imaginary diagonal that cuts across the graph. We’ve included an annotated diagram below. The blue dotted shapes are above the line and meet the other two criteria.

Therefore in total 4 companies meet the Investor’s criteria.

did anyone get similar questions in the real QR section for their ukcat???

just did this question loll
Original post by Lostperson
just did this question loll

lol if this question comes up in the exam it means ive failed :frown:
How are people doing in qr for medify mocks? Xx
Original post by 11...
Have you done the UKCAT and if so what did you get?
How were your GCSEs and AS?

I'm actually Scottish but 5A's in Highers,

Got 743.3 average in UKCAT, applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and St Andrews.
Original post by Lostperson
How are people doing in qr for medify mocks? Xx

I don't do as well as I hope.

I get 550 normally in it!

I am aiming for ~650 avg so need to do as well as possible in QR as my AR sucks and my VR... Well, let's not even talk about that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I keep seeing these come up.

Newcastle/Durham have released the previous UKCAT thresholds and last year their average was 682.5

When putting your choices you don't have to put a fifth non-medicine choice but it's very risky. You can say about taking a gap year and reapplying but if you don't get 3 As then reapplying isn't really a realistic option and you'd need to go through the graduate route.

Depending on the what you've applied for as your fifth choice depends on whether you would need to do another personal statement. Biomedicine is a popular fifth choice for those applying for medicine and most unis know that and will still give you an offer. I applied for medicine last year and as my fifth applied for biomedical sciences at Sheffield and was offered a place. At the end of the day if you're worried then contact the uni and ask whether they'll take the medicine personal statement or if they would want another one.
Original post by Jackster556
I'm actually Scottish but 5A's in Highers,

Got 743.3 average in UKCAT, applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and St Andrews.

Hey, Scot here too!

What will be your FIRST choice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by .......Jeff458

I am aiming for ~650 avg so need to do as well as possible in QR as my AR sucks and my VR... Well, let's not even talk about that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same when i do timed practice i get 5 or 6/10 ... never more?
Original post by .......Jeff458

Posted from TSR Mobile

You are actually the Same as me with that logic that's exactly what I was saying lol😂 I'm so excited for you to get your score!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by masterscientist2
Medify just released a personal statement course. Worth investing in, it like £10 and they review you PS for you after you draft it. Worth a shot!

When they review it do they add comments on what's bad/good? Like how do they do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending