The Student Room Group

Are my GCSEs acceptable for top univeristies? (medicine)

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if my GCSEs were good enough for unis like UCL etc. (maybe Oxford). I wish to study Medicine.

I received 8 A*'s (Maths, Further Maths, FSMQ, ICT, RS, Biology, Chemsitry and Physics - since I did triple science) and 3A's *English Lang - the highest I could've gotten overall since it was IGSCE - English Lit and Humanities)
Reply 1
I think you know the answer to that. But it does depend a lot on A-Levels and interviews.
Reply 2
Original post by f_ak
Hi everyone,
I was wondering if my GCSEs were good enough for unis like UCL etc. (maybe Oxford). I wish to study Medicine.

I received 8 A*'s (Maths, Further Maths, FSMQ, ICT, RS, Biology, Chemsitry and Physics - since I did triple science) and 3A's *English Lang - the highest I could've gotten overall since it was IGSCE - English Lit and Humanities)

u did amazingly.
You can get an A* in iGCSE - which board did you do? I did CIE for my iGCSE English language, and I got an A*, so it is definitely possible!
Reply 4
Original post by Rocco123
You can get an A* in iGCSE - which board did you do? I did CIE for my iGCSE English language, and I got an A*, so it is definitely possible!

I did Cambridge too! I know you can get an A* in the S&L and coursework but my teachers told me you couldn't get it overall? I thought it sounded silly but then no one got A* for English Language in my school so I was even more confused.
Original post by f_ak
I did Cambridge too! I know you can get an A* in the S&L and coursework but my teachers told me you couldn't get it overall? I thought it sounded silly but then no one got A* for English Language in my school so I was even more confused.

I'm pretty certain you can get an A* overall, as quite a few people at my school did. If you look at CIE grade boundaries on their website, there is a boundary for an A* grade as well. Your GCSE grades are definitely good enough for you to realistically aim for oxford/wherever you want! Well done!
Original post by f_ak

It's definitely possible to get an A* with CIE iGCSE English Language, quite a few others in my year achieved it including me :tongue:
Original post by f_ak
Hi everyone,

You know GCSE's do NOT account for everything. You need EXCELLENT as and a level results for oxford/UCL, and you really need to nail the interview. Also, for medicine WORK EXPERIENCE is very, very important!:smile: Best of luck!x:wink:
Reply 8
Original post by george_c00per
It's definitely possible to get an A* with CIE iGCSE English Language, quite a few others in my year achieved it including me :tongue:

You learn something new everyday, eh? Thanks for letting me know though!
Reply 9
Original post by sunshine774
You know GCSE's do NOT account for everything. You need EXCELLENT as and a level results for oxford/UCL, and you really need to nail the interview. Also, for medicine WORK EXPERIENCE is very, very important!:smile: Best of luck!x:wink:

Yes, I know but I just wanted to know if I started off well with my GCSEs because some do look at them too. As for as/a level results, here's to hoping I get the grades!

For me, I think the most difficult thing is finding work experience because it's so competitive. Any tips would be lovely! Thanks in advance
Original post by f_ak
Yes, I know but I just wanted to know if I started off well with my GCSEs because some do look at them too. As for as/a level results, here's to hoping I get the grades!

For me, I think the most difficult thing is finding work experience because it's so competitive. Any tips would be lovely! Thanks in advance

Yes, congratulations on your gcse's!:h: I do not have any tips, I am only in yr 12- however just start looking for work placements very early and I am sure you will find somewhere suitable!:biggrin:
Oxford medicine is extremely stringent with GCSEs. I'd be a bit cautious about your chances tbh https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Every other medicine uni you will be fine.
Reply 12
Original post by nexttime
Oxford medicine is extremely stringent with GCSEs. I'd be a bit cautious about your chances tbh https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Every other medicine uni you will be fine.

Thank you for the information!
Sometimes i feel like these "Hey guys i got 12 A*s, can i get into oxford?" threads are just a way to subliminally brag >;(
Original post by James2021
Sometimes i feel like these "Hey guys i got 12 A*s, can i get into oxford?" threads are just a way to subliminally brag >;(

Well the answer was 'probably no', so in this case clearly not.

Quick Reply

Latest