The Student Room Group

MEI S1 Question

I've been trying to do this question, and I'm unsure of whether I'm doing the right thing or not! Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

In fact, the exact values of the mean and standard deviation of the number of
chapters per book are 14.7 and 6.1. Use these exact values for the remainder of the question. (Before this there was a grouped frequency table)
The number of pages, p, in a book is modelled by
p=20x+15
where x is the number of chapters in the book.
Calculate the mean and standard deviation of the number of pages as given by this model.
Original post by XmayaX
I've been trying to do this question, and I'm unsure of whether I'm doing the right thing or not! Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

In fact, the exact values of the mean and standard deviation of the number of
chapters per book are 14.7 and 6.1. Use these exact values for the remainder of the question. (Before this there was a grouped frequency table)
The number of pages, p, in a book is modelled by
p=20x+15
where x is the number of chapters in the book.
Calculate the mean and standard deviation of the number of pages as given by this model.

What did you try? :smile:

Hint:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
What did you try? :smile:

Hint:

Spoiler

I haven't come across this yet
The questions said earlier the total number of books is 60
So using the mean I figured there's 882 chapters in total but I don't know where to go from there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
My friend suggested simply substituting in the mean number of chapters per book into the question but I feel that's far too simple!
Thanks for replying btw 😊😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XmayaX
I haven't come across this yet
The questions said earlier the total number of books is 60
So using the mean I figured there's 882 chapters in total but I don't know where to go from there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, it's a different area of the syllabus rather than relying on questions from a previous part, though that is always a good spot - sometimes questions are directly link, others indirectly.

Basically you use the properties in the previous post, you should look for it in the textbook first before attempting it.. but to give you an idea,

if on average a book has 14.7 chapters, and the number of pages is modelled by 20x + 15, then using the same 'average' as the value of x, you get on average (20*14.7) + 15 pages per book. that's how you make sense of it but more formally, if you have the mean written as E(X) (in this case it is x) then E(aX+b) where aX + b is a function (in this case it is 20x + 15) E(aX + b) = aE(X) + b, and then you use E(X), a and b to work that out.

Var(aX+b) is a^2 Var(X). So with the mean, if you multiply it and add something they both affect the new mean, but if you add something to a set with a fixed variance it doesn't affect it at all. Don't worry if that doesn't make sense yet, should do after you learn it.

Check out this video :h:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R92_aakUZUc
skip to the bit about linear expectation (aX+b) if you want.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
Ah okay, it's a different area of the syllabus rather than relying on questions from a previous part, though that is always a good spot - sometimes questions are directly link, others indirectly.

Basically you use the properties in the previous post, you should look for it in the textbook first before attempting it.. but to give you an idea,

if on average a book has 14.7 chapters, and the number of pages is modelled by 20x + 15, then using the same 'average' as the value of x, you get on average (20*14.7) + 15 pages per book. that's how you make sense of it but more formally, if you have the mean written as E(X) (in this case it is x) then E(aX+b) where aX + b is a function (in this case it is 20x + 15) E(aX + b) = aE(X) + b, and then you use E(X), a and b to work that out.

Var(aX+b) is a^2 Var(X). So with the mean, if you multiply it and add something they both affect the new mean, but if you add something to a set with a fixed variance it doesn't affect it at all. Don't worry if that doesn't make sense yet, should do after you learn it.

Check out this video :h:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R92_aakUZUc
skip to the bit about linear expectation (aX+b) if you want.

Thank you so much! I'll check out the video too 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest