The Student Room Group

The Times & Sunday Times "Good University Guide" Official University Rankings 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jneill
Is actual Balliol still a hive of revolutionary activity?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you mean recent students, ask me in 20 years.

If you mean have graduates done anything revolutionary recently, there is only one answer: Boris

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Original post by nulli tertius
If you mean recent students, ask me in 20 years.

If you mean have graduates done anything revolutionary recently, there is only one answer: Boris

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah the accidental anarchist....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KardasDragon
Thanks this actually makes alot more sense!

So just to get this clear

Oxford, has an acceptance rate of 17,5%, competition of 5.9:1, and offer rate of 24.8%.

This means with 590 applicants:

There are 100 spaces
25% of the 590 will get an offer. Then 18% of those 590 of them will actually attend.

But 25% of 590 is 148, and 18% of 590 is 106. Don't you still have more students than you need?

Also, what happened to the 7%? Did 32 people just not make their offer? It is hard to imagine anyone would turn down Oxford to go somewhere else.

Original post by jneill
I think acceptance rate and competition rate should be the same - the difference may be for 2 different years? You are comparing 2 different sources.

But yes by no means all Oxford offer holders will make their offer, and some will choose to go elsewhere (notably to America, but some may choose LSE or wherever). Depends on the course.

Some people may not have the money to go or they can have personal matters to attend to. The vast majority probably didn't get the grades in the end.
Edinburgh is one of the very best universities in the World, if not the universe.
Original post by Magic Streets
Edinburgh is one of the very best universities in the World, if not the universe.

Do you go there? If so, I might have a few questions as I'll probably apply there (2017 entry)

Have they even attempted space travel?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Do you go there? If so, I might have a few questions as I'll probably apply there (2017 entry)

No, I am a UCL old timer. Edinburgh and KCL are best after UCL.
No, I am a UCL old timer. Edinburgh and KCL are best after UCL.

Cool, I'm also applying for UCL (Medical Physics). Do you have any experience with a physics course at UCL?
Original post by DarkEnergy
Cool, I'm also applying for UCL (Medical Physics). Do you have any experience with a physics course at UCL?

I don't know whether Physics is strong at UCL, but Medicine certainly is. The university as a whole feels prestigious, with a gorgeous estate in Euston.
Original post by Little Toy Gun
Have they even attempted space travel?

Where is your girl friend?
Reply 50

This is exactly what I mean - administrative issues, while important, should not be used to compare the quality of the course between institutions. A student who doesn't understand their degree classification can simply seek advice from a relevant person.

To me, it seems nonsensical that East Anglia offers a 'better teaching system' because, say, its students can understand degree classifications. Not to say that the survey would be perfect if these considerations were not taken into account, but it would nonetheless be better.

That, combined with how much weight is attached to the survey, just underscores my original point.
Original post by *Stefan*
This is exactly what I mean - administrative issues, while important, should not be used to compare the quality of the course between institutions. A student who doesn't understand their degree classification can simply seek advice from a relevant person.

To me, it seems nonsensical that East Anglia offers a 'better teaching system' because, say, its students can understand degree classifications. Not to say that the survey would be perfect if these considerations were not taken into account, but it would nonetheless be better.

That, combined with how much weight is attached to the survey, just underscores my original point.

But what is the "quality of the course"?

Virtually every academic in the country could teach a course that is too advanced for an undergraduate at that stage of his or her studies.

Ultimately, whilst lecturing/tutoring flair plays a part in teaching quality, what makes a good course as opposed to a bad course is ultimately down to administrative issues; devising learning outcomes commensurate with the quality of the student cohort and with any regulatory requirements and then creating a programme to deliver those outcomes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The G5 and other RG universities are the best. Add St Andrews and Bath with them. Forget the rest, they are not elite.
Reply 53
Original post by nulli tertius
But what is the "quality of the course"?

Virtually every academic in the country could teach a course that is too advanced for an undergraduate at that stage of his or her studies.

Ultimately, whilst lecturing/tutoring flair plays a part in teaching quality, what makes a good course as opposed to a bad course is ultimately down to administrative issues; devising learning outcomes commensurate with the quality of the student cohort and with any regulatory requirements and then creating a programme to deliver those outcomes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To me, the 'quality of the course' characterises the engagement the university can offer with regards to learning outcomes. That is, the academic stimulation a course offers, along with actual personal progress and development. Timetables and superficial knowledge like what makes a 2.1 or a first are, in my opinion, inconsequential when we take the purpose of a degree into account, i.e. to nurture the individual.

As I said, administrative issues are important, and surveys should definitely be used by the universities themselves to improve on such issues. But it makes no sense to compare universities on their administrative prowess - administration facilitates education, it is not the goal if that makes sense.
Looks like Lancaster and Loughborough are in bed with the Times - ridiculous that they're both so high up.

Edinburgh and Liverpool with a bit of a raw deal - they're not perfect by any means but still solid RG unis. No reason why they should be below the likes of Aston, Leicester, and Lancaster.

Move Imperial into 3rd and swap LSE with Warwick and the top 8 are pretty much spot on.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by #ChaosKass
Looks like Lancaster and Loughborough are in bed with the Times - ridiculous that they're both so high up.

Edinburgh and Liverpool with a bit of a raw deal - they're not perfect by any means but still solid RG unis. No reason why they should be below the likes of Aston, Leicester, and Lancaster.

Move Imperial into 3rd and swap LSE with Warwick and the top 8 are pretty much spot on.

Lancaster is a very underrated university, and should one day hopefully join the Russell Group. Always puts in a decent performance in UK and World rankings.
Where is your girl friend?

I don't have a girlfriend.
Original post by #ChaosKass

You do realise the reason they are so high up is because they score well on all the metrics? Metrics which are provided by government organisations. Loughborough has consistently scored highly in every single league table.

Aston is very good university with some of the best industry connections there are.

Universities are more than their law department.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by KardasDragon
You do realise the reason they are so high up is because they score well on all the metrics? Metrics which are provided by government organisations. Loughborough has consistently scored highly in every single league table.

Aston is very good university with some of the best industry connections there are.

Universities are more than their law department.

Not in any of the World rankings, or in REF by research power. Loughborough may be a goodish university at undergraduate level, but for academic research it is so far behind the Russell Group universities. It will never be seen as an elite university.
Not in any of the World rankings, or in REF by research power. Loughborough may be a goodish university at undergraduate level, but for academic research it is so far behind the Russell Group universities. It will never be seen as an elite university.

"Never"?

That's a confident claim.

Is this based on horoscopes, tealeaves or a crystal ball reading of the future?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending