The Student Room Group

Fodmap diet, what do you eat?

I need to try the fodmap diet but that includes no gluten, no lactose etc. and I've been finding it very difficult to find foods that are free from everything. Is anyone else on this diet/ been on it and have any recommendations?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Y tho? If you're tryna lose weight and that's all there's no point going onto any special kinda diet.
Reply 3
Original post by Inexorably
Y tho? If you're tryna lose weight and that's all there's no point going onto any special kinda diet.

It's not to lose weight.
Reply 4

Thank you, I have a food list from another website by a dietary clinic. I was mainly wondering for recipes and food and drinks to buy in shops.
Original post by Inexorably

It's an IBS one to work out what's causing problems. Trust me, I lose far more weight from IBS!

I found this really difficult but the main thing that helps is make things from scratch. You do get used to what you can and can't eat. For example, I worked out that onion and garlic were problems but peppers (as in red/yellow ones) and garlic oil I'm okay with. I can deal with a little bit of cheese or fatty things but not very much. Spicy stuff I already knew was a problem. It's a complete pain but you'll work it out- cut out everything and add stuff back in gradually, seeing what you can manage. I'm not there yet but so much better than six months ago! Vegan food is also good if you're trying to avoid dairy etc, not always FODMAP free though so depends how strictly you're doing it. Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you, I have a food list from another website by a dietary clinic. I was mainly wondering for recipes and food and drinks to buy in shops.

TBH just think of any recipe you like, and replace any trigger foods with safe foods. GF pasta & tomato sauce is an easy option. Most supermarkets have a GF section
Reply 7
Original post by furryface12
It's an IBS one to work out what's causing problems. Trust me, I lose far more weight from IBS!

I found this really difficult but the main thing that helps is make things from scratch. You do get used to what you can and can't eat. For example, I worked out that onion and garlic were problems but peppers (as in red/yellow ones) and garlic oil I'm okay with. I can deal with a little bit of cheese or fatty things but not very much. Spicy stuff I already knew was a problem. It's a complete pain but you'll work it out- cut out everything and add stuff back in gradually, seeing what you can manage. I'm not there yet but so much better than six months ago! Vegan food is also good if you're trying to avoid dairy etc, not always FODMAP free though so depends how strictly you're doing it. Good luck!

Thank you for your answer and it's great that you're feeling better than six months ago!

I used to do a lot more detailed cooking and baking but then feeling tired and stuff got in the way. I think making things from scratch would be good but it's just finding recipes and spending the time doing it.

Is there a vegan section in supermarkets or are they dispersed across the different sections?
Reply 8
TBH just think of any recipe you like, and replace any trigger foods with safe foods. GF pasta & tomato sauce is an easy option. Most supermarkets have a GF section

Thank you, that's a good idea. Just need to find some extra recipes
Reply 9
It's not to lose weight.

Ah I see, my apologies :smile:
I've found some things but I can't seem to find any snacks or desserts that are ok with fodmap (that do not include milk, chocolate, lactose or gluten etc.), other than fruit, is this the only option other than nuts?
And soya! Any alternatives seem to have soya in which I can't have either on fodmap and lactofree milk has milk and some lactose in?
Thank you for your answer and it's great that you're feeling better than six months ago!

I used to do a lot more detailed cooking and baking but then feeling tired and stuff got in the way. I think making things from scratch would be good but it's just finding recipes and spending the time doing it.

Is there a vegan section in supermarkets or are they dispersed across the different sections?

Sorry, missed this! Thanks :smile:

Yeah can definitely understand that, you can always cook in bulk though and freeze it or whatever. There's a 'free from' section in most supermarkets now so have a look in there! Snacks and stuff I had the same problem too, ended up just eating the soya ones- you can always cut this out later once you've managed to add some stuff back in. It's a complete pain but you will get there! I think there are plans to develop a FODMAP food label to help but that's not happened yet so bit late to help us.
Sorry, missed this! Thanks :smile:

Yeah can definitely understand that, you can always cook in bulk though and freeze it or whatever. There's a 'free from' section in most supermarkets now so have a look in there! Snacks and stuff I had the same problem too, ended up just eating the soya ones- you can always cut this out later once you've managed to add some stuff back in. It's a complete pain but you will get there! I think there are plans to develop a FODMAP food label to help but that's not happened yet so bit late to help us.

Yeah think I'm going to have skill up on what can be frozen and for how long. Thank you, I'm going to try to avoid it for now.

I'm also having trouble with drinks, I can't find a list of all preservatives and sweeteners and different places say different things
Yeah think I'm going to have skill up on what can be frozen and for how long. Thank you, I'm going to try to avoid it for now.

I'm also having trouble with drinks, I can't find a list of all preservatives and sweeteners and different places say different things

Stuff like lasagne/mince/casserole type things work really well! But yeah that makes sense :smile:

Drinks can't really help you unfortunately, I mostly just drink water :redface: and fruit juice/tea occasionally but I stopped them on fodmap, can't remember if technically allowed or just did anyway. That said, peppermint tea can help stomach stuff a lot which is odd!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stuff like lasagne/mince/casserole type things work really well! But yeah that makes sense :smile:

Drinks can't really help you unfortunately, I mostly just drink water :redface: and fruit juice/tea occasionally but I stopped them on fodmap, can't remember if technically allowed or just did anyway. That said, peppermint tea can help stomach stuff a lot which is odd!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I drink a lot of squash, it says it has metabisulphite in it so I'm not sure whether that is ok. Yeah a lot of tea and some fruit juices you can't have, I'm going to try some of the teas that are allowed.
]I drink a lot of squash, it says it has metabisulphite in it and some have phenylalanine so I'm not sure whether that is ok. Yeah a lot of tea and some fruit juices you can't have, I'm going to try some of the teas that are allowed.
Gluten isn't high fodmap, but wheat is so be careful not to assume gluten free is the same as wheat free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Gluten isn't high fodmap, but wheat is so be careful not to assume gluten free is the same as wheat free.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't wheat gluten so anything that is gluten free will be wheat free? And isn't everything that is gluten high fodmap?
I've been on this diet for a few days and so far I think I actually feel worse, is that supposed to happen?

Quick Reply

Latest