The Student Room Group

Just started Year 12 - How do I maximise chances of getting into medical school?

Just started Year 12 and taking Maths, English, Biology and Chemistry.

I would like to know what I can start doing at this early stage to maximise my chances of getting into medicine. I am in the process of getting volunteering work in a hospital, but I am aware I need some more work experience.

Also, what kind of things should I be following/reading around the subject?

Thanks
Make sure you get the required work experience. Look for current stories in the news and things like new scientist and the bma. Get the grades you need.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Make sure you get the required work experience. Look for current stories in the news and things like new scientist and the bma. Get the grades you need.

Thanks for your advice. What type of work experience would you recommend and when do you think I should do it and for how long?
There's a lot of info about this online and on TSR so have a good read of it all. Starting ASAP is advisable and how long doesn't really matter. What matters is what you learn and how you write about it. A good mix always helps.
There's a lot of info about this online and on TSR so have a good read of it all. Starting ASAP is advisable and how long doesn't really matter. What matters is what you learn and how you write about it. A good mix always helps.

Yes a couple of days work experience is all that's needed in about 3 different places if you can. Absolutely no need to do weeks shadowing a consultant etc. One Long term volunteering in a care home or hospice or with disabled children is also important.
Reply 5
Dont do medicine but Ive heard its all about the experience as well as of course grades. Come off as a caring person in your p statement and have evidence to back it up. Volunteering looks great. Read they caught a hospital charging people for experience, thats how important it is!
Original post by newgirl66
Yes a couple of days work experience is all that's needed in about 3 different places if you can. Absolutely no need to do weeks shadowing a consultant etc. One Long term volunteering in a care home or hospice or with disabled children is also important.

I think you may want to quote the OP rather than me :smile:
I think you may want to quote the OP rather than me :smile:

I quoted you as I was just carrying on where you left off!!!!
I quoted you as I was just carrying on where you left off!!!!

Well you quote people for attention or if you want a reply. You don't need either from me so please quote the OP if giving advice. I haven't asked for any :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well you quote people for attention or if you want a reply. You don't need either from me so please quote the OP if giving advice. I haven't asked for any :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't realise we were following your rules. I really must try harder at not being so offensive when trying to help others.
Didn't realise we were following your rules. I really must try harder at not being so offensive when trying to help others.

Sorry but I don't have time to carry on this conversation. I suggest you quote the OP if you'd like to bring your helpful comments to their attention. Good luck!
Reply 11

Thanks for your advice - much appreciated

Quick Reply

Latest