The Student Room Group

Declaring results on UCAS

My daughter completed her A level Maths in 1 year - Lower Sixth. The School however only cashed in the AS result and did not cash in A2. They will do this when she has completed all other A2s at the end of Upper Sixth. Does she only need to declare cashed-in grades on her UCAS form? If so should the A2 Maths be entered as Pending with the other subjects?
One of the Universities she is hoping to apply to will not count an early A level in their entrance requirements. I would hate to think that all her hard work in achieving an A grade would not even be recognised or of no benefit to her.
Reply 1
Original post by jk33
My daughter completed her A level Maths in 1 year - Lower Sixth. The School however only cashed in the AS result and did not cash in A2. They will do this when she has completed all other A2s at the end of Upper Sixth. Does she only need to declare cashed-in grades on her UCAS form? If so should the A2 Maths be entered as Pending with the other subjects?
One of the Universities she is hoping to apply to will not count an early A level in their entrance requirements. I would hate to think that all her hard work in achieving an A grade would not even be recognised or of no benefit to her.

Is she doing Further Maths in Year 13?

They can, afaik, cash in her A2 for Y12 and then recash it when she completes FM in Y13.

Tagging some experts:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by jneill

They can, afaik, cash in her A2 for Y12 and then recash it when she completes FM in Y13.

Sorry, not really a UCAS expert so I don't know how they'd deal with this (though I know we swapped round how we taught Maths and FM so this didn't happen so I fear the worst).
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
Sorry, not really a UCAS expert so I don't know how they'd deal with this (though I know we swapped round how we taught Maths and FM so this didn't happen so I fear the worst).

Ah thanks.

But isn't it more of a cashing thing than an UCAS thing?

I'd tag CLR but I can't on the app...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Ah thanks.

But isn't it more of a cashing thing than an UCAS thing?

I'd tag CLR but I can't on the app...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It could be cashed in now or next Summer, but some universities - for medicine at least - make their offer on 3 A levels taken in a single sitting - so we stopped doing Maths In Y12 and FM in Y13 as this meant they couldn't use their A level Maths as part of their offer but had to get just as good a grade in FM instead. Whether universities would fall for the taking it in Y12 but cashing it in in Y13 I don't know as I don't have to deal with the details of this but we changed our teaching order to stop this being a potential problem so I suspect the late cash-in doesn't fool universities.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
It could be cashed in now or next Summer, but some universities - for medicine at least - make their offer on 3 A levels taken in a single sitting - so we stopped doing Maths In Y12 and FM in Y13 as this meant they couldn't use their A level Maths as part of their offer but had to get just as good a grade in FM instead. Whether universities would fall for the taking it in Y12 but cashing it in in Y13 I don't know as I don't have to deal with the details of this but we changed our teaching order to stop this being a potential problem so I suspect the late cash-in doesn't fool universities.

Right - got it :smile:
Original post by jneill

Tagging some experts:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My school, like all others locally, teach Maths/FM in the same way Compost described, AS maths and AS FM in Y12 then A2s in year 13. Usually it wouldn't matter as most offers can be met with early A levels completed in Y12 or indeed in very many cases from A levels completed at any time. I have heard of early achieved A levels being excluded from some university offers, especially for medicine. To be convinced candidates can successfully cope with anticipated workload, all 3 A levels used to meet such an offer must be completed in the same exam period. Like Compost, I'm unsure whether deciding not to cash-in an A level would disguise the fact that one subject was taken early. Technically UCAS only requires certificated qualifications to be entered as complete and then final A level subjects to be entered as pending.
I would consider contacting the uni from an email account unconnected to the applicant to ask how they would deal with the situation.

PQ or carnationlilyrose may have some experience with this
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jk33

If her school have only cashed in her AS then that's the only achieved maths grade that should be entered. The A level grade should be listed with a 2017 date (ie pending). This will only look unusual if she
a) lists her module grades for both qualifications
and
b) isn't resitting any of the AS/A2 maths modules in Yr 13

If she isn't resitting any modules then it would look extremely strange to include her module grades - she'd essentially have a pending overall grade with all the component module grades completed. If that's the situation then I'd recommend not including module grades for any of her A levels (put them in for AS but leave the A levels as just a pending overall grade). In theory it would be clear when results came in from UCAS that the A level maths modules were all completed in Yr12....but there wouldn't be anything incorrect on the UCAS form and any offers would be binding (it's down to universities with those rules about "in a single sitting" to ask applicants for more details about their exam sittings if that's something they want to take into account).

Also if this is school policy then it is worthwhile having a conversation with her referee about what (if anything) they plan to include in the reference about the policy on certifying maths modules.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
If her school have only cashed in her AS then that's the only achieved maths grade that should be entered. The A level grade should be listed with a 2017 date (ie pending). This will only look unusual if she
a) lists her module grades for both qualifications
and
b) isn't resitting any of the AS/A2 maths modules in Yr 13

If she isn't resitting any modules then it would look extremely strange to include her module grades - she'd essentially have a pending overall grade with all the component module grades completed. If that's the situation then I'd recommend not including module grades for any of her A levels (put them in for AS but leave the A levels as just a pending overall grade). In theory it would be clear when results came in from UCAS that the A level maths modules were all completed in Yr12....but there wouldn't be anything incorrect on the UCAS form and any offers would be binding (it's down to universities with those rules about "in a single sitting" to ask applicants for more details about their exam sittings if that's something they want to take into account).

Also if this is school policy then it is worthwhile having a conversation with her referee about what (if anything) they plan to include in the reference about the policy on certifying maths modules.

Thanks for that, I'll have a chat with her referee.
I think the school is putting the candidate in an awkward position.

Quick Reply