The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hutch28
So I keep seeing these come up.

Newcastle/Durham have released the previous UKCAT thresholds and last year their average was 682.5

When putting your choices you don't have to put a fifth non-medicine choice but it's very risky. You can say about taking a gap year and reapplying but if you don't get 3 As then reapplying isn't really a realistic option and you'd need to go through the graduate route.

Depending on the what you've applied for as your fifth choice depends on whether you would need to do another personal statement. Biomedicine is a popular fifth choice for those applying for medicine and most unis know that and will still give you an offer. I applied for medicine last year and as my fifth applied for biomedical sciences at Sheffield and was offered a place. At the end of the day if you're worried then contact the uni and ask whether they'll take the medicine personal statement or if they would want another one.

It's not very risky. Applying as a graduate is by far more risky then applying as a resit candidate. Universities accept resits and i know many that were offered a place.
Original post by michaela__
When they review it do they add comments on what's bad/good? Like how do they do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Two reviewers assess your personal statement and give seperate feedback on your personal statement, e.g. what to change and will give you tips on how to showcase your strengths. Bare in mind though that it doesn't come with the course, as the course only gives you tips on how to write your personal statement, whereas the review is seperate and is £55. To be fair, I haven't submitted mine for review so I don't know what to expect. They say that they look for 8 categories on your personal statement and give you a mark based on that. Just look it up on their website and it shows you in more detail.

Hope this helps!
Original post by Squishy•
It's not very risky. Applying as a graduate is by far more risky then applying as a resit candidate. Universities accept resits and i know many that were offered a place.

Just curious but, what did you get at GCSE and A level?
Original post by Squishy•

Some may accept AS resits but most say that your A levels must be done over two years. Some unis will allow resits due to medical reasons and I do know someone who was asked for A*AA, got AAA but was close to an A* and so the uni said they would accept that one resit.

Graduate entry is risky, you need at least a 2.1 for most unis, but it may be your only option unless you're willing to resit both years of A Levels
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by masterscientist2
Hi,

Two reviewers assess your personal statement and give seperate feedback on your personal statement, e.g. what to change and will give you tips on how to showcase your strengths. Bare in mind though that it doesn't come with the course, as the course only gives you tips on how to write your personal statement, whereas the review is seperate and is £55. To be fair, I haven't submitted mine for review so I don't know what to expect. They say that they look for 8 categories on your personal statement and give you a mark based on that. Just look it up on their website and it shows you in more detail.

Hope this helps!

Thank you! Don't know whether it's worth it or not but I get paid this Friday from work so I guess I can make my mind up then 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by masterscientist2
Hi,

Hope this helps!

Do you know how long it takes to get the review back after you've sent your personal statement off?
Original post by Hutch28
Some may accept AS resits but most say that your A levels must be done over two years. Some unis will allow resits due to medical reasons and I do know someone who was asked for A*AA, got AAA but was close to an A* and so the uni said they would accept that one resit.

Graduate entry is risky, you need at least a 2.1 for most unis, but it may be your only option unless you're willing to resit both years of A Levels

You don't have to resit both years of A-levels. You can fall short by a grade on one subject and just resit one unit to meet the requirements. Although if you apply as a resit your options are fewer, the chances of getting an offer from them universities is just as likely as they would be elsewhere with achieved grades because they don't take your resit into consideration.
I'm pretty sure applying to a university having to do a resit of some units by the end of the year (which you have already done) and having a good chance of getting an offer is much more reasonable than doing a three year degree of which you don't necessarily have a passion for and then applying for medicine with an even slimmer chance.
Original post by 11...
writing an outstanding personal statement is difficult. Any useful tips anybody??? pls

There is plenty of advice online about the general structure such as what to write in each paragraph and I also highly recommend ISC medical book. But a lot of medical PS are similar so try to put something in that makes you stand out such as showing that you have ALL the NHS values listed in the NHS constitution which are: Respect and dignity, Commitment to the quality of care, Compassion, Improving lives, Working together for patients, Everyone counts. And also, a major achievement could make you stand out, for me it was national level sports. For others it may be an amazing academic achievement such as a GOLD in the chemistry Olympiad (i didn't even get bronze haha)
Listen to this....one of my friends got rejected by sheffield because of his PS, however he got a interview for Bristol because of his PS. I read his PS and tbh it covered a lot! So the lesson from that is make sure that if you are applying to a PS uni, make sure you put in there exactly what they want. For example, last year sheffield had a list of qualities (about 10) that they look for, to grade the PS. Sometimes for written communication you have to play the game. Its a bit like A level biology where your answers which may be correct may not be in the mark scheme and hence you do not gain credit!
Good luck!
Original post by Hutch28
Do you know how long it takes to get the review back after you've sent your personal statement off?

Hi,

I think it takes three days, but not too sure as I haven't tried it for myself yet.
Original post by Lostperson
Same when i do timed practice i get 5 or 6/10 ... never more?

I jus mean the mocks altogether tbh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
You are actually the Same as me with that logic that's exactly what I was saying lol😂 I'm so excited for you to get your score!

Posted from TSR Mobile

!!!!!!!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Would you say the UKCAT official mocks are representative of the real thing? I have my UKCAT tomorrow and I'm getting scores that are a lot lower on those mocks compared to my Medify mocks:-(
Testday!*
Original post by mcdcph
Hi,

Would you say the UKCAT official mocks are representative of the real thing? I have my UKCAT tomorrow and I'm getting scores that are a lot lower on those mocks compared to my Medify mocks:-(

Many have said they're much more difficult than the real thing so don't worry!*
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
Testday!*

Good luck😁, i have mines at 11:30, what times yours?😊
Original post by Louise427
Good luck😁, i have mines at 11:30, what times yours?😊

Same time! Good luck!
Same time! Good luck!

Good luck ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Testday!*

Good luck! Got mine tomorrow let us know how it goes
Original post by aamin96
Good luck! Got mine tomorrow let us know how it goes

Thank you. I'll come back with a detailed 'how it went'.
Good luck ❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much. Your posts here have been helpful to me.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending