The Student Room Group

What is London like to visit and live in?

inspired by s thread. :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Depends on the area. Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Covent Garden, Hyde Park and South Kensington are all great places to visit in the summer but can be crowded.

I've lived in London most of my life and as much as I love all the places mentioned above, it gets nauseating after a while, especially if you love nature like I do.
Reply 2
Original post by PrinceHarrys
inspired by @AngryRedhead s thread. :smile:

London is an awesome place to visit and live (although expensive). I lived there for 3 years when I was at uni. London has a great buzzing atmosphere, loads to see an do. I usually visit a couple of times a year still as I missed it.

I wouldn't live there however, as it's too expensive and you'd get a better quality of life elsewhere without all the constant queues, traffic jams etc. You'd find it hard to buy a house, and would probably end up renting. A decent house there can cost a fortune, but buying elsewhere about an hours commute away you'd get a much better quality of life. But having said that I enjoyed London life while I was there.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
Samuel Johnson

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Depends on the area. Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Covent Garden, Hyde Park and South Kensington are all great places to visit in the summer but can be crowded.

I've lived in London most of my life and as much as I love all the places mentioned above, it gets nauseating after a while, especially if you love nature like I do.

where have you lived in London? as a student or graduate? :smile:

@suky321 By an hour's commute do you mean Heathrow etc.? :yep:
Reply 5
It's expensive. But lots of chicken shops if you want a cheap lunch. Lived here all my life, I think I'm used to all the things that go on here... Roadmen, rain, druggies lol. But that's just my part of London :lol:

I like the underground though. Crowded, smelly but definitely a good experience :biggrin:

I would say London is amazing for those not born here. There's so many things to do but I've pretty much seen everything already lol. I'm kinda sick of it but meh, it's not terrible but it's home for me so I live with it!
(edited 7 years ago)
It's quite good.
Original post by UWS
It's expensive. But lots of chicken shops if you want a cheap lunch. Lived here all my life, I think I'm used to all the things that go on here... Roadmen, rain, druggies lol. But that's just my part of London :lol:

I like the underground though. Crowded, smelly but definitely a good experience :biggrin:

I would say London is amazing for those not born here. There's so many things to do but I've pretty much seen everything already lol. I'm kinda sick of it but meh, it's not terrible but it's home for me so I live with it!

Where were you born in London?

Bare roadmen around here too :tongue:
I've been here over 25 years. Highs and lows, dirty, noisy but unique.
Original post by DrSocSciences
I've been here over 25 years. Highs and lows, dirty, noisy but unique.

which areas? did you grow up in London? :gah:
Reply 10
Where were you born in London?

Bare roadmen around here too :tongue:

Somewhere in London :tongue:

Where are you from then?
Interesting and should be done by everyone, once.
Better if younger and single imo too expensive for family.
Better if you have money.
Original post by UWS
Somewhere in London :tongue:

Where are you from then?

I'm curious it was one of the bad areas cuz you said roadmen lol :P

Leeds innit :biggrin:
West London & NW London within zones 1& 2 of tube, and now further East.
I lived in West London (regularly commuted to Central as my college was in Fulham), now I live slightly on the outskirts in Sutton but to be honest it's not all that! London is great to visit if you're coming from elsewhere in the UK or if you are a foreigner (I lived coming here when I lived in Pakistan and Azerbaijan), but it's soooo expensive like a decent house rent is at least £2500 per month if you want to be close to a tube or rail station and close enough to central london. AND ITS ALWAYS CROWDED LIKE OMG GOING ANYWHERE IN THE MORNING IS HELLLLLLLLL O.o Much prefer places which are technically in London but are in Surrey, I would say Kent and Bromley/Dartford too but they're sh**
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

It was useful for OP to have a list of all the places to avoid, thanks for providing it.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It was useful for OP to have a list of all the places to avoid, thanks for providing it.

Lol it was actually useful :borat:

where have you lived in London? as a student or graduate? :smile:

@suky321 By an hour's commute do you mean Heathrow etc.? :yep:

I mean places away from London that you can commute by train to in an hour or so (assuming you want to work in London). The train cost would outweigh the cost of living in London.

Places like Rugby, Wellingborough etc. See this interesting article:

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/14764761.You_can_work_in_London_and_save___450_000_buying_a_home___but_there_s_a_catch/
Original post by suky321
I mean places away from London that you can commute by train to in an hour or so (assuming you want to work in London). The train cost would outweigh the cost of living in London.

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/14764761.You_can_work_in_London_and_save___450_000_buying_a_home___but_there_s_a_catch/

The thing is, if you have a family and you are about 35-45 and boring, then living in places like Wellingborough or Rugby is probably OK for you, as their utter boredom and lack of amenity reflects your own mental state, not to mention spending up to 3 hours a day sitting on a train in cramped conditions with other equally boring people.
Original post by suky321

PRSOM but thanks, good article :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest