The Student Room Group

Need advice on master's degree choices

Hello,

I've recently finished my undergraduate degree in international business management. I've been doing some research to decide what subject I should do my master's degree. However, I've been having lots of confusion and uncertainty.

The obvious answer I've seen a lot is well,... I should do an MBA, but... I don't have work experience and I can only do Msc. First, I wanted to do Msc in management, as simple as that. Then later, I found interest in doing MBA as well in the future, which would make two master degrees in one subject. Despite their differences, I became kind of skeptical towards doing Msc in management if I were to plan to do MBA a few years down the road when I get enough work experience.

Now I'm thinking of other subjects, such as business economics or entrepreneurship as my first master's. However, I'm not sure about the entrepreneurship degree as well, cause you don't need a degree to learn or be an entrepreneur, so it would be a waste of time. I'm interested more in business economics as my first master's. However, I'm wondering if this will not be in line with my short term and long term goals. I want to get into product management as a career and I don't know if an economics degree will help with that.

I want advice on what master's is best if I want to potentially do an MBA in the future and falls in line with the goal of becoming a product manager.

Should I just do Msc management or are there other better graduate degrees for my situation?

Thanks in advance,
Ali.
It sounds like you're just collecting degrees for the sake of it which is both expensive and a waste. You know where you want to end up so work out what you actually need to get there. Then work out if you need to do a masters and in what.
Original post by Ali40

I want advice on what master's is best if I want to potentially do an MBA in the future and falls in line with the goal of becoming a product manager.

There's no such thing - the best preparation for an MBA is work. You need to get a job, then after 3-5 years of professional, managerial experience, decide if an MBA would still help your career. An MBA is a degree based on experience, not academic knowledge.
Reply 3
Original post by alleycat393
It sounds like you're just collecting degrees for the sake of it which is both expensive and a waste. You know where you want to end up so work out what you actually need to get there. Then work out if you need to do a masters and in what.

lol. No, why would I collect degrees just for the sake of it?

You are right, though. I should just stick to what's needed for my goals.

What I wrote above is because I'm not eligible for an MBA right now, and what IF I need one in the future, due to competitiveness and for standing out to employers. At the meantime, I also need an Msc, because with it, I feel I can be more employable. Hence, I am uncertain whether I should do Msc in management or not, because the need for an MBA might arise in the future. If I do, would that be unusual to have two degrees in one subject?

Or would you rather say that this is not a good plan and I need to only do one master's and that's it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by threeportdrift
There's no such thing - the best preparation for an MBA is work. You need to get a job, then after 3-5 years of professional, managerial experience, decide if an MBA would still help your career. An MBA is a degree based on experience, not academic knowledge.

You've misunderstood me.
Sorry, my question must've been misleading. I know that you need over 3 years work experience to be eligible for an MBA. I just wanted to know if it's unwise IF I do an MBA in the future while already having an Msc in management?
Original post by Ali40
You've misunderstood me.
Sorry, my question must've been misleading. I know that you need over 3 years work experience to be eligible for an MBA. I just wanted to know if it's unwise IF I do an MBA in the future while already having an Msc in management?

There is no link between an MSc and an MBA. If you do an MSc now, you will be entering the job market as someone with PG degree, and it is up to you and the job market to see if that leverages you a better starting appointment, and a better starting salary.

An MBA is a degree you take during your career. it is entirely unrelated to previous academic qualifications. It is based on professional experience. WHether it is a good idea to do an MBA, whether the timing is right, where you can get into etc depend entirely on where you are in your career and where you want to progress to. It's nothing to do with prior qualifications.
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
There is no link between an MSc and an MBA. If you do an MSc now, you will be entering the job market as someone with PG degree, and it is up to you and the job market to see if that leverages you a better starting appointment, and a better starting salary.

An MBA is a degree you take during your career. it is entirely unrelated to previous academic qualifications. It is based on professional experience. WHether it is a good idea to do an MBA, whether the timing is right, where you can get into etc depend entirely on where you are in your career and where you want to progress to. It's nothing to do with prior qualifications.

Aaaah, now I get it. It makes sense now.

Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending