The Student Room Group

Feel really upset and depressed over starting uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 999tigger
Is there somewhere else or other course youd like to go or be happier with, that you have the grades for or could achieve in retakes? If you have really big doubts then id think about a gap year, but you arent giving me definite reasons as to why you dont want to go. Thats why you need to talk to parents friends and teachers.

Obviously at allunis its great fro some and not others.

Is it the Uni?
Is it the course?
Is it being away from home?
Is it your fear of making friends?
Is it the city?

You should know yourself by now to identify what it is.

I want to do the course. I think it's more the uni. I think I feel a bit upset about leaving my family but I feel like the area I'm not passionate and excited enough about
Original post by Anonymous
Because if I go then quit I'll still have to pay the tuition fee

I wasn't honestly suggesting you should quit.
I want to do the course. I think it's more the uni. I think I feel a bit upset about leaving my family but I feel like the area I'm not passionate and excited enough about

Did you have other unis in mind where you would like to have gone?
Was there a reason you couldnt or didnt go there, such as grades?
Could you achieve those grades in resits?

Ring up your unis fees department and confirm what happens if you leave early. I think you can cancel withing 14 days without incurring fees. If thats the case go and just leave after 10 days if it all feels wrong, but have an open mind. Not really enough time but will give you a chance. talk that over with your parents.

If you dont like it, quite, take a gap year earn money and reapply soemwhere you want to go. Do resits if you need to.
Did you have other unis in mind where you would like to have gone?
Was there a reason you couldnt or didnt go there, such as grades?
Could you achieve those grades in resits?

Ring up your unis fees department and confirm what happens if you leave early. I think you can cancel withing 14 days without incurring fees. If thats the case go and just leave after 10 days if it all feels wrong, but have an open mind. Not really enough time but will give you a chance. talk that over with your parents.

If you dont like it, quite, take a gap year earn money and reapply soemwhere you want to go. Do resits if you need to.

There were other unis but I put one as my second choice (kinda wish I didn't now) and the other one I only realised I liked after I applied so it was a bit awkward as I'd have to go through clearing and wouldn't get accomodation
There were other unis but I put one as my second choice (kinda wish I didn't now) and the other one I only realised I liked after I applied so it was a bit awkward as I'd have to go through clearing and wouldn't get accomodation

Its a choice only you can make

I would try the current one (subject to my previous advice about cancellation) if you dont like it, then reapply for the others next year and work to earn money.

You would also incur costs over accommodation if you cancel it. Normally you have to find someone to take your place. You could try canceling it now.

A year isnt long. Talk to your parents and friends. Crying isnt going to get you anywhere at the moment. Its impossible to say because I dont have many of the facts.

Sorry for the really random upvote, was using my phone and my screen spasmed.

Anyway, it's not uncommon to feel like you can't find people to connect with in the first few weeks, or even months. I find that if your personality is a little more introverted, you generally take a little longer to find people can connect with. Don't let the fact that others are all making friends in freshers put you down. You will find someone with similar interests. And you'll want to be with these people, because they can understand you, rather than you having to try to fit in with people you don't really click with for the sake of having friends.

so if your main concern is social-related, i would say do stay strong and hang in there, it does get better.
Its a choice only you can make

I would try the current one (subject to my previous advice about cancellation) if you dont like it, then reapply for the others next year and work to earn money.

You would also incur costs over accommodation if you cancel it. Normally you have to find someone to take your place. You could try canceling it now.

A year isnt long. Talk to your parents and friends. Crying isnt going to get you anywhere at the moment. Its impossible to say because I dont have many of the facts.

If I drop out I still need to pay the accomodation for that term which'll be a few thousand £'s and I'll still need to pay some of my tuition even if it's in the first week
Hi guys, I'm starting uni tomorrow and I literally feel so upset. I want a degree but I'm moving away and I don't feel 100% about the university I've chosen. I've literally cried so many times today over it whenever I think about it I start crying. I'm not gonna see my mum tomorrow so she said goodbye to me today and she was hugging me and crying I felt so sad. When going to uni you should feel excited but I just feel so upset and anxious I feel physically sick and stressed over it I feel sick just thinking about it. I want to make new friends but I'm just in two minds about going to university because I'm not sure about the uni I've chosen and the fact that I'll be away from my family but at the same time I don't want to waste a year taking a gap year. I just feel so upset and sick about leaving I don't know what to do. Any help guys?

Don't worry. Initially,you will feel bad about the place and about moving away from your family. This will actually ruin the excitement you had for uni and make you develop anxiety. It's pretty normal. But once you start, you'll see things progress well but the speed of this progress will be slow. You have to be patient and you'll see things are going well. Good Luck with Uni! Hope you have a great time! :smile:
If I drop out I still need to pay the accomodation for that term which'll be a few thousand £'s and I'll still need to pay some of my tuition even if it's in the first week

Did you check with the uni what your liability will be and whether you cna avoid fees if you withdraw within 14 days?

Did you check what your acomm liability will be if you dont turn up? You are likely to have to pay a cancellation fee plus you may be liable anyway until you find a replacement. Read the terms of your agreement.

Ive made several posts setting it out and given you a clear idea on how to analyse the issues and the options you have, based on very luttle information or feedback. You can follow my advice or not, but at some stage you will have to make a decision.
What do your parents say? Are they even aware you feel this way?
Original post by VictoriaCoolio
You still need to pay accommodation fees. Woah I never knew this. That's unfortunate.

She would know what the situation was if she looked at her agreement. Thats what its there for. Then she coudl weigh it in.

The same for tuition fees. Its important to know what the withdrawl terms are as there may be an opportunity to save her £2250 and that could be the difference between leaving within 14 days rather than after. Why wouldnt you want that information? If SFE start paying that also uses your gift year up in finance terms, which cna be very valuable back up.

If she finds out, then she can make an informed decision, should she choose to leave.
You still need to pay accommodation fees. Woah I never knew this. That's unfortunate.

I decided to take a gap year in the end. The uni said i only had to pay my deposit for the accommodation as i hadn't registered at the uni yet and the course hadn't started yet. They said if i had registered i would have had to pay the accommodation for the whole term which would've been quite pricy! But if you wish that you dropped out then id recommend doing it before your course starts as you'll have to pay more once it starts and the longer you stay your accommodation fee may rise. By the way how come you don't like your uni?
She would know what the situation was if she looked at her agreement. Thats what its there for. Then she coudl weigh it in.

The same for tuition fees. Its important to know what the withdrawl terms are as there may be an opportunity to save her £2250 and that could be the difference between leaving within 14 days rather than after. Why wouldnt you want that information? If SFE start paying that also uses your gift year up in finance terms, which cna be very valuable back up.

If she finds out, then she can make an informed decision, should she choose to leave.

thank you for the help mate. I ended up taking a gap year because i was so unsure about the university and in my gut i knew i wasn't passionate about the uni or excited about it. I contacted the uni and they said if i registered i would have had to pay waay more + accommodation. At least i now have time to think and make a proper decision. Thank you and everyone else anyway :smile:
thank you for the help mate. I ended up taking a gap year because i was so unsure about the university and in my gut i knew i wasn't passionate about the uni or excited about it. I contacted the uni and they said if i registered i would have had to pay waay more + accommodation. At least i now have time to think and make a proper decision. Thank you and everyone else anyway :smile:

Think youll find I was correct in that withdrawals are as I stated so they were giving you the simple version. If they let you off with no accommodation fee, then thats good. The contracts are seperate.

Hopefully you feel a lot less stressed now. Its your choice. Just be sure to have a good think about where you want to go, possibly resit if that would help and earn some moneu. Savings make your uni experience much better.

I promise when you look back in it, then you will realise you made the right choice.

Tell your parent the average debt for sudents is £45,000, so its best to make sure you go to a place you are happy and on the course you want to study.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've left it way too late I've registered for the course. But I think I'll change course. I'm just not ready to start my course yet. I'm not happy with course/university.

:frown: did you consider taking a gap year before? Maybe you should do that if you want. What is it you don't like about the uni?
I've left it way too late I've registered for the course. But I think I'll change course. I'm just not ready to start my course yet. I'm not happy with course/university.

People think they are in a race and they must go this year to keep up with their friends. This is total nonsense as you are unlikely to see many of your school friends again after Uni.

The Uni and course is a 3 year £45,000 debt decision. You reallt only get to do it once. You have a grace year for a mistake, which would be another £15,000, unless ill. Do not go somewhere you dont want to be and hastily chose because you are most likely going to regret it.

If its the wrong course you ha e a short window to change within the uni or leave of a few weeks, whereby you cna quit or change withoutincurring costs. Go past the 14 days then that will cost you £2250 normally and a years student finance.

Accommodation is easier to ditch at the beginning , although they will charge you until you get a replacement plus an admin fee.

If you arent happy get out and go soemwhere better next year. Money earned is invaluable and can improve your uni experience no end.
If you've got parents who don't support you, you could stay at uni and make use of the counselling services there and then change onto a different course for secondar year. Sometimes you have to work the system a bit if you've not got your parents willing to stand by you emotionally and practically.
I just don't like the feel of the uni. I have continued taking a gap year before but I'm in such a difficult place right now. I can't do that in my parents house because they're Nigerian and they won't support me for another year.

That's true we are not in a race. I don't have to go this year to keep up with my friends I'm probably never going to see any of these school friends again. I feel like my parents don't understand that you don't have to get it right the first time. That's true accommodation is easy to ditch but I can easily come back home and study again. What do you mean by grace year? What will they charge me for the accommodation fees? I'm just not fully equipped for the real world yet. I was late to an exam. And I just began to go crazy. If I take a gap year I'll have to find a job I just feel like at the end of the day it is my life and I should take control. I'm really bit happy here at all. I guess so I would incur £45,000 of debt. I'm just not feeling well at all I'm too mentally unstable. Say I drop out and apply to somewhere else through clearing is that still possible or way to late. I'm not liking the feel of this uni. And I'm not liking the course and everything.

Talk to your tutor and welfare. If your mental helath is off you arent in the best place to get the most from uni socially or academically.

Go and see your GP to get your mental health diagnosed.

The £45000 is the average debt a student leaves with following the latest increases to £9,000. Its not menat to scare you , plus its an average. makes sense to spend it ona course you wnat.

Grace year is SFE will fund you for degree length +1 year, the +1 is insurance if you change your mind about a course or are ill etc.

You need to check with accommodation about charges. its in the agreement and i dont have enough details. ypicla would be an admin fee and you have to find a replacement.

Almost too late for cleearing and on your information I wuld suggest not to as you arent in the right frame of mind to make a good decision on limited courses. Go next year imo. You could easily go to a course just as poor or worse if you tried clearing.

If you are going to do it then start seeing people soon to talk it over. they will have a withdrawal procedure. Ive gone through the things you need to do in response to the OP. Its all posted above. Go and get advice.
Once this term is over and you come back in February the year is about to end. This is the longest and hardest one but get through the first month and you will start to find a rhythm, then it will be dark nights and Christmas hols before you know it!

EDIT- just seen op has decided to do a gap year which is fair enough, but if anyone else is in a similar situation it does get better
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply