The Student Room Group

Advice on joining the army.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NFI
8 man rooms in St Athan?

Well if you somehow ignore the line before the 8 man barracks bit you'd get the idea i said that.

"we were informed eventually after passing out and passing P-Coy that you have these room like things but they aren't proper rooms its hard to explain but i can visualize it fine"

the 8 man room thing was something i originally thought was the thing until i was told otherwise which was stated in that bit i just repeated.
Original post by DeathGuardElite
holy crap, so my College courses that gave me info is to be completely ignored?

Yep.

If those courses were that valuable they'd be mandatory for everyone entering the forces.

They're not.

That tells you all you need to know.
Dont, go private better pay better treatment higher standards.
The Armed forces of the UK evidently has little to no respect for its manpower.

How can you go private without any background experience?
Academi, Dyncorp, KBR etc. I'm damn sure need a lot of experience, and not just as a regular soldier...
Original post by Drewski
Yep.

If those courses were that valuable they'd be mandatory for everyone entering the forces.

They're not.

That tells you all you need to know.

Well then i'm not a fan of being lied to.
I'm now seriously considering disowning this pathetic country for wasting my damn time.
Thank the Gods i intend to leave this Country.

I should point out i'm more angry with it due to the fact i could be at Uni now if it wasn't for me taking that stupid second year.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 64
Well if you somehow ignore the line before the 8 man barracks bit you'd get the idea i said that.

"we were informed eventually after passing out and passing P-Coy that you have these room like things but they aren't proper rooms its hard to explain but i can visualize it fine"

the 8 man room thing was something i originally thought was the thing until i was told otherwise which was stated in that bit i just repeated.

Can you not see how your lack of personal experience is making you look a bit foolish?

You can read as much as you want about the Army/Forces, but it's all worthless unless you have actually been there, done it, got the tour T-shirt and unit tie. *
Original post by NFI
Can you not see how your lack of personal experience is making you look a bit foolish?

You can read as much as you want about the Army/Forces, but it's all worthless unless you have actually been there, done it, got the tour T-shirt and unit tie. *

Partially but its more of i lack experience in actually doing the job.
Well i'd rather have knowledge then experience in these cases i dont like wasting years of my only life to prove a point that helps no one.
After the crap i went through i wouldn't serve in the British Army however i will point out i am hopefully if everything goes well be signing up to the French Foreign Legion next year.
Well i'd rather have knowledge then experience in these cases i dont like wasting years of my only life to prove a point that helps no one.
After the crap i went through i wouldn't serve in the British Army however i will point out i am hopefully if everything goes well be signing up to the French Foreign Legion next year.

I'm not sure what your story is, but it seems pretty clear you're not really in a place to offer the OP useful advice on this thread.
Original post by REforever
i'm 17

My advice is don't join at 17, wait until you're older.

I was 16 when I attempted to join, pass everything apart from one part at selection and for deferred for 6 months. Yes it was a massive kick in the balls at the time but I'm glad it happened. It have me time to actually grow up and really think about why I wanted to join and what it would do for me.

I was going through all the pros and cons and finally decided it wasn't for me. Also having friends who joined at the time same as I was, allowed me to get their point of view on life in the army too. Some loved it, some hated it. It really depends if you're the type of person who can take loads of crap from NCOs without reacting in a bad way.

Yeah don't get me wrong it is good, get to travel, loads of opportunities, gain skills and qualifications, best friends which last a life time because they all go through the same thing.

If you live near Cornwall/Devon, I recommend going to one of the military academies there. They are taught by people who have previously or are currently serving in the armed forces. You learn a lot about yourself and what you can do. Increases your fitness a lot and shows you a little about what life would be like in training. I really loved doing that course, just saying.

If you still want to join after doing everything I said, go for it! Don't let anyone else's opinion sway yours either. If you want to join infantry, do it. Don't think about joining engineers or some other corp just for the trades for when you leave. You can always do courses after you leave.
Reply 68
Don't forget your mozzie cream when you get to Africa.

And feel free to pop down to the pubs in Collie to share your 2 minute dits with your fellow airborne brethren, I'm sure they'd be all ears to hear about what you've read about them.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NFI
Don't forget your mozzie cream when you get to Africa.

And feel free to pop down to the pubs in Collie to share your 2 minute dits with your fellow airborne brethren, I'm sure they'd be all ears to hear about what you've read about them.

Yep i dont fancy Malaria or Zika if it spreads over there.

Despite all i've said i'm still a big fan of the Airborne and i hope to join the FFL's Parachute Regiment(2e REP)
Reply 70
Yep i dont fancy Malaria or Zika if it spreads over there.

Despite all i've said i'm still a big fan of the Airborne and i hope to join the FFL's Parachute Regiment(2e REP)

Well you just make sure they're aware of all your ACF experience, never know they might give you a command appointment.
Original post by NFI
Well you just make sure they're aware of all your ACF experience, never know they might give you a command appointment.

I dont want a command appointment, I only brought up the ACF as i thought it helped along side the college courses but after being told the college courses mean squat i'll assume the ACF is the same.
Reply 72
I dont want a command appointment, I only brought up the ACF as i thought it helped along side the college courses but after being told the college courses mean squat i'll assume the ACF is the same.

Everything you've said is meaningless you no mark 😂
Original post by NFI
Everything you've said is meaningless you no mark 😂

Including the bits when i advised she continues her education as it'd help? and the bit when i advised she picks a job that will help when she does leave the Army?

Ah well.
Reply 74
Including the bits when i advised she continues her education as it'd help? and the bit when i advised she picks a job that will help when she does leave the Army?

Ah well.

That's common sense.

Stick to airsoft.
Well he can go close protection and eventually get to the Private Security contractor jobs, but in all honesty he has to put the research in like i did i can point him in a direction but i wont hold his hand.

Pay is good? for a private in the infantry? you're joking right? i could get better pay in the foreign legion hell my father earns more money.
The MoD royally screwed up and ruined any respect i had for them if it wasn't for the massive cock ups in the government remember the MoD is part of the state, maybe i'd have joined the Army but i decided against it after spending 2 years of my life researching about it and getting the correct fitness level.

overall package for the Military is very very good

subsidised accomodation, free dental , free prescriptions , very good none- contributory pension , lots of opportunities for none work related training and trips in the name of leadership education ...
Reply 76
Original post by spanker
My advice is don't join at 17, wait until you're older.

I was 16 when I attempted to join, pass everything apart from one part at selection and for deferred for 6 months. Yes it was a massive kick in the balls at the time but I'm glad it happened. It have me time to actually grow up and really think about why I wanted to join and what it would do for me.

I was going through all the pros and cons and finally decided it wasn't for me. Also having friends who joined at the time same as I was, allowed me to get their point of view on life in the army too. Some loved it, some hated it. It really depends if you're the type of person who can take loads of crap from NCOs without reacting in a bad way.

Yeah don't get me wrong it is good, get to travel, loads of opportunities, gain skills and qualifications, best friends which last a life time because they all go through the same thing.

If you live near Cornwall/Devon, I recommend going to one of the military academies there. They are taught by people who have previously or are currently serving in the armed forces. You learn a lot about yourself and what you can do. Increases your fitness a lot and shows you a little about what life would be like in training. I really loved doing that course, just saying.

If you still want to join after doing everything I said, go for it! Don't let anyone else's opinion sway yours either. If you want to join infantry, do it. Don't think about joining engineers or some other corp just for the trades for when you leave. You can always do courses after you leave.

honestly i'm thinking of doing my 4 years and then joining the navy. only because the army is just something i need to do in my life. plus i've already submitted an application and don't want to mess them about.
honestly i'm thinking of doing my 4 years and then joining the navy. only because the army is just something i need to do in my life. plus i've already submitted an application and don't want to mess them about.

If that's the case, just start an application for the navy instead.
What is it about the army that you feel you can't do in the navy?
People cancel their applications all the time, don't worry about it.
Reply 78
Original post by spanker
If that's the case, just start an application for the navy instead.
What is it about the army that you feel you can't do in the navy?
People cancel their applications all the time, don't worry about it.

how do i go about cancelling my application? email them with ,my reference number?
how do i go about cancelling my application? email them with ,my reference number?

Just ring them up and say you want to withdraw your application, they just ask your name and that's it.

Quick Reply

Latest