The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Squishy•
You don't have to resit both years of A-levels. You can fall short by a grade on one subject and just resit one unit to meet the requirements. Although if you apply as a resit your options are fewer, the chances of getting an offer from them universities is just as likely as they would be elsewhere with achieved grades because they don't take your resit into consideration.
I'm pretty sure applying to a university having to do a resit of some units by the end of the year (which you have already done) and having a good chance of getting an offer is much more reasonable than doing a three year degree of which you don't necessarily have a passion for and then applying for medicine with an even slimmer chance.

Just curious but, what did you get at GCSE and A level?
Is an A*A*A prediction for Exeter too risky?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally done with mine. Very disappointed tbh. VR was pathetic, I guessed 70% of the questions. I found AR more difficult than Medify, had to guess a good number of questions. QR was fine.
Average: 633
VR: 550
QR: 740
AR: 610
Band 2
AS: AAAA
Predicted A*A*A*A*
GCSE: 7A* 1A
I'm very worried right now. Do I stand a chance anywhere? I don't have much work experience, it's very difficult to manage that in my country. I'm just trying to reflect on whatever I have. Which universities should I look into? Any kind of help is appreciated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lidiaislam13
Finally done with mine. Very disappointed tbh. VR was pathetic, I guessed 70% of the questions. I found AR more difficult than Medify, had to guess a good number of questions. QR was fine.
Band 2
I'm very worried right now. Do I stand a chance anywhere? I don't have much work experience, it's very difficult to manage that in my country. I'm just trying to reflect on whatever I have. Which universities should I look into? Any kind of help is appreciated.

What were your statistic analysis %s on medify?
Band 2

There's still plenty of time to prepare for BMAT so perhaps consider some BMAT Universities. If you have good gcses and a really good personal statement you could have a look at this:

https://www.themedicportal.com/medical-schools-to-apply-to-with-a-low-ukcat-score/

How did vr compare with Medify? What was so difficult about it?
Hi,

I just got my ukcat and did really bad. What uni should I apply for a 6 year medicine course. Predicted grades are AAB. and average ukcat score is 643 and a band 3.. So which universities should I consider applying to for foundation/extended/widening. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Btw, I am not doing the BMAT as theres no use.
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys, how did people find the AR mini mock on medify? I did pretty terrible :')
Just finished with the qr mini mock and there were so many percentage questions where you had to keep adding up like 6 values. Do these come up that much in the actual thing? I suppose the only quick way of doing it is not to use a calculator? Any other tips? Thanks.
Did my UKCAT. Second time. Only did better by 8 points. Terrible.*

VR 580
QR 640
AR 650

I didn't manage my time well. I was rushing and guessing a lot especially for QR. QR wasn't difficult but I fell into the trap of spending too much time on some questions.

AR was ok but I couldn't get some patterns so I ended up guessing.

VR has long passages and asks complex questions.

All I can say is key in this test is time management. Be smart. Flag and don't spend too much time on some of the questions especially for QR.*

I'm applying for GEM so I need a score of at least 700. I am not as disheartened as I was last year. Will try my luck doing the GAMSAT for March. *
Well on Medify towards the end I often marked without completing all questions so percentages fell recently.
AR 56.9%
QR 59.8%
VR 56.3%
SJT 64.1%

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well on Medify towards the end I often marked without completing all questions so percentages fell recently.
AR 56.9%
QR 59.8%
VR 56.3%
SJT 64.1%

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh right okay, why did you mark without completing??
I think the scanning technique was less helpful in the real test. Some passages were monstrous. I had one that has like 6 paragraphs I think. The time pressure is felt much much more than you do during mocks.
I don't think I'll be giving BMAT. I updated my initial post with my GCSE and A level predictions. Would you suggest me a few universities maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the scanning technique was less helpful in the real test. Some passages were monstrous. I had one that has like 6 paragraphs I think. The time pressure is felt much much more than you do during mocks.
I don't think I'll be giving BMAT. I updated my initial post with my GCSE and A level predictions. Would you suggest me a few unis maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats what I'm thinking... theres no way BUT to skim read the passage.
Oh right okay, why did you mark without completing??

Most of the time I got tired and just wanted to see the answers :tongue: Other times I've had to end for some other work...
I don't think I'll be giving BMAT. I updated my initial post with my GCSE and A level predictions. Would you suggest me a few unis maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could definitely apply to London BMAT universities, your stats are great for them. All BMAT universities would be good for you to be honest.
You could apply to Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, Exeter and a lot of universities to be honest. Just try to avoid any who tend to have very high ukcat cut off points and don't take into consideration your other grades.

Btw quote me when you reply to me coz i don't get notified when u speak to me lol
Original post by Lostperson
thats what I'm thinking... theres no way BUT to skim read the passage.

some people read the whole passage and then answer the other questions quickly because they can then be answered easily if you know the passage.
Idk how tho
some people read the whole passage and then answer the other questions quickly because they can then be answered easily if you know the passage.
Idk how tho

thats what i plan to do. sort of read it and go with my gut instinct. Im spending about 40 seconds reading/skimming the text .. then answering it UNLESS there is a keyword. with the T F CT questions i will just scan.
You could definitely apply to London BMAT universities, your stats are great for them. All BMAT universities would be good for you to be honest.
You could apply to Bristol, Cardiff, Birmingham, Exeter and a lot of universities to be honest. Just try to avoid any who tend to have very high ukcat cut off points and don't take into consideration your other grades.

Btw quote me when you reply to me coz i don't get notified when u speak to me lol

Thanks for the suggestions. I know I was struggling a bit using the mobile app so I just posted it again and quoted you XD
Thanks for the suggestions. I know I was struggling a bit using the mobile app so I just posted it again and quoted you XD

Oh right ha i find the mobile website is much better than the app
Original post by cookiemunch12
Just finished with the qr mini mock and there were so many percentage questions where you had to keep adding up like 6 values. Do these come up that much in the actual thing? I suppose the only quick way of doing it is not to use a calculator? Any other tips? Thanks.

I got a good number of questions like that. One mistake I did was not noting down the raw calculations for later use. Suppose you find the total carbohydrates in Burger A, Burger B and Burger C. Note them down even if you don't need them anymore for the current question. They might just be useful for the next questions and save you so much time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending