The Student Room Group

A101 Nottingham 2017 Entry

Hi all,

I was looking for a graduate entry Notts post but couldn't seem to find one for 2017 entry so I thought I'd start one! Anyone else planning on applying to Notts and other GAMSAT unis? The GAMSAT is just ONE WEEK away and I am so not prepared!! However, as you just need to hit their cut-off in order to interview I feel a bit better. How is everyone else feeling about it? Also anyone started their UCAS application yet? I know Notts don't bother with your personal statment but I'm wondering if Swansea or St.Georges do as I'm planning on applying there too..

Anyway, my background is I did Neuroscience BSc 2.1, and a MRes in Neuroscience (merit) too, so distinctly average! I have a week of shadowing in a Neurology Department, and have been volunteering weekly in an A&E department for about 2 months - unfortunately I was meant to start back in June but the training took forever to sort out! I also work, in a sense, with the NHS, as I am a researcher involved with a clinical trial. I feel like I've barely got any work experience, but this is partly due to me only deciding to take the plunge and apply back in February!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE SITTING THE GAMSAT NEXT WEEK!!! :smile:

EDIT: Notts require you to complete a work experience form if you meet the cut-off, and then interviews are given out.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll be applying for A101 at Notts again for the third time. Hoping my score of 58/59 (depending on whether they still do a non-science biased version of scoring or not) from last year will be sufficient now that I will be applying with an MA. Also applying to Swansea, SGUL, and Warwick (sit my UKCAT at end of Sept).

Glad to have not done the GAMSAT this year but still feel like I am capable of improving on my score and getting into the 60s! Good luck to everyone sitting the exam it is a draining experience but it feels like an achievement just completing the damn thing.
Reply 2
Original post by neuromeg
Hi all,

I was looking for a graduate entry Notts post but couldn't seem to find one for 2017 entry so I thought I'd start one! Anyone else planning on applying to Notts and other GAMSAT unis? The GAMSAT is just ONE WEEK away and I am so not prepared!! However, as you just need to hit their cut-off in order to interview I feel a bit better. How is everyone else feeling about it? Also anyone started their UCAS application yet? I know Notts don't bother with your personal statment but I'm wondering if Swansea or St.Georges do as I'm planning on applying there too..

Anyway, my background is I did Neuroscience BSc 2.1, and a MRes in Neuroscience (merit) too, so distinctly average! I have a week of shadowing in a Neurology Department, and have been volunteering weekly in an A&E department for about 2 months - unfortunately I was meant to start back in June but the training took forever to sort out! I also work, in a sense, with the NHS, as I am a researcher involved with a clinical trial. I feel like I've barely got any work experience, but this is partly due to me only deciding to take the plunge and apply back in February!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE SITTING THE GAMSAT NEXT WEEK!!! :smile:

I am not prepared either :frown: Really scared about section 1 because I haven't done anything for it.

Good Luck to you as well :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Marathi
I'll be applying for A101 at Notts again for the third time. Hoping my score of 58/59 (depending on whether they still do a non-science biased version of scoring or not) from last year will be sufficient now that I will be applying with an MA. Also applying to Swansea, SGUL, and Warwick (sit my UKCAT at end of Sept).

Glad to have not done the GAMSAT this year but still feel like I am capable of improving on my score and getting into the 60s! Good luck to everyone sitting the exam it is a draining experience but it feels like an achievement just completing the damn thing.

any advice for section 1?
Reply 4
Original post by saran23

Read widely and practise lots of questions.

I tried to spend about an hour a day reading the news, whether it be a paper or online. I'd also read books that I wouldn't normally read, alongside Grayling's The Meaning Of Things and other short books on philosophy.

Then I would do lots of practise questions. Gold Standard, Griffiths, Des O'Neille, and the official ACER tests. UKCAT VR is pretty similar if you have any experience with that but I'd say the GAMSAT passages are longer and more detailed.
Reply 5
Original post by saran23

I've been practising all the S1 questions I can get my hands on - it seems to have helped a lot in the run up (at least I'm feeling more confident!). I think getting your head around the type of questions asked helps a lot and just doing them over and over seems to really drill in their way of thinking!
FYI when I started revising I was getting about 50-60% on the practise questions, but now I'm up in the 80s, whether that's the case on the day or not who knows!

I'm going to try and do two full mocks this weekend, go through all the answers on Monday, and then try to chill on Tuesday!
Reply 6
So the GAMSAT was horrible. S3 was an absolute disaster but oh well! Anyone else have a better experience? I thought S3 was so different to the mocks and I didn't manage my time very well - had to make about 30 complete guesses.

I'm starting my UCAS application now. Does anyone know where to put the details of your degree? Do we just add it to the same bit as colleges and school qualifications?
Reply 7
So the GAMSAT was horrible. S3 was an absolute disaster but oh well! Anyone else have a better experience? I thought S3 was so different to the mocks and I didn't manage my time very well - had to make about 30 complete guesses.

I did about the same number of guesses but I managed my time better (learnt the lesson from the disaster of S1). Overall I felt much better whilst doing S3 partly because there were more 'quantitative reasoning' style questions than pure science questions.
Reply 8
Am I right in assuming you got a 2.1 in your degree as you're applying to Warwick?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Has anyone submitted their application yet?
I can't apply this year as I haven't done my GAMSAT so I'll be 2018!
Reply 11
Has anyone submitted their application yet?

Yep i did so now I am trying to keep yhe gamsat off my mind :s-smilie:
Reply 12
Original post by dr_2b
Yep i did so now I am trying to keep yhe gamsat off my mind :s-smilie:

Haha, did the GAMSAT go as badly for you as it did for me? I'm gonna submit my application this weekend I think.. don't wanna mull over it for too long. Do you know if you have to wait for your reference to submit their reference before you send it off?
Haha, did the GAMSAT go as badly for you as it did for me? I'm gonna submit my application this weekend I think.. don't wanna mull over it for too long. Do you know if you have to wait for your reference to submit their reference before you send it off?

When you submit your application is when UCAS contact your reference iirc.
Reply 14
Original post by Marathi
When you submit your application is when UCAS contact your reference iirc.

Is that so? Maybe i am confusing the whole process but basically here is what happened:
-In the ref section, i entered the ref name and saved.
-After saving, a link appeared on the page to email the reference. I clicked it and the ref details were locked down (no more editting). I had an option to add a new ref if i wanted to.
-Anyway, a few days later i got the following:

Your nominated referee has now sent us their reference for you. You can now proceed to complete your application if you have not already done so, and then pay and submit the application for consideration by your choices.

-once i got this email, i paid and submitted.

-------
Re the gamsat, i was glad the s3 wasn't like a level science because i hadn't revised properly :smile: but i didn't particularly well in s1 and s2 so i won't be surprised if i have to do the march exam.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by dr_2b
Is that so? Maybe i am confusing the whole process but basically here is what happened:
-In the ref section, i entered the ref name and saved.
-After saving, a link appeared on the page to email the reference. I clicked it and the ref details were locked down (no more editting). I had an option to add a new ref if i wanted to.
-Anyway, a few days later i got the following:

Your nominated referee has now sent us their reference for you. You can now proceed to complete your application if you have not already done so, and then pay and submit the application for consideration by your choices.

-once i got this email, i paid and submitted.

-------
Re the gamsat, i was glad the s3 wasn't like a level science because i hadn't revised properly :smile: but i didn't particularly well in s1 and s2 so i won't be surprised if i have to do the march exam.

I've just seen someone post similar somewhere else too. I must be wrong and the reference must have to be completed prior to submission!

See dr_2b's post about reference
Reply 17
Original post by Marathi
I've just seen someone post similar somewhere else too. I must be wrong and the reference must have to be completed prior to submission!

I don't know, that suggests you can do either "You can now proceed to complete your application if you have not already done so,"
Buuuut, then again on UCAS the little signifier next to it is still ... rather than a tick. I think I will wait until they've sent it like dr_2b has done.
Reply 18
I don't know, that suggests you can do either "You can now proceed to complete your application if you have not already done so,"
Buuuut, then again on UCAS the little signifier next to it is still ... rather than a tick. I think I will wait until they've sent it like dr_2b has done.

Actually, good catch. I missed that :colondollar:
But yes, i still recommend waiting just in case your ref is no longer available, etc. It will be less hassle to change it whilst the app is still "in progress".
Reply 19
So the GAMSAT marks are out, anyone know anything about when we're gonna know this years cut-off?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending