The Student Room Group

Can someone help me? How to structure a response to a poetry question?

Hi
I'm stuck. I'm doing OCR english literature and my teacher just doesn't explain things to me.
Can someone help me work out an essay structure my question is 'How does gerard manley hopkins use sound and ryhme to underpin meaningin Gods Grandeur?'
I understand I have to do PEE'S but in IGCSE english lit we had to look at the structure and rhyme scheme and then language devices, is this the same for alevel? or do i just do PEE'S in reference to the question.
Thanks
A stressed year12
Original post by ForeverFrench
Hi
I'm stuck. I'm doing OCR english literature and my teacher just doesn't explain things to me.
Can someone help me work out an essay structure my question is 'How does gerard manley hopkins use sound and ryhme to underpin meaningin Gods Grandeur?'
I understand I have to do PEE'S but in IGCSE english lit we had to look at the structure and rhyme scheme and then language devices, is this the same for alevel? or do i just do PEE'S in reference to the question.
Thanks
A stressed year12
Ok, structure should follow your natural writing style, I personally dislike all these acronyms as they restrict the flow of a paragraph/essay. My advice:
- Go through the poem, find 5 examples of GMH using sound & rhyme
- Think of three things that you can say about how he does it, why he does it and what effect is has on the reader (all inter-related)
- Use these as your points to start your paragraph
- Then casually quote your five examples throughout the essay: ...so if Hopkins allows the 'morning' to 'spring' he is developing that idea that the...
- Always think about the reader's reaction, and how the writing came about deciding this word choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending