The Student Room Group

Archaeology or Maths degree?

(edited 3 years ago)
Hello! I was in a similar position when choosing my a levels as I wasn't allowed to take both maths and history, I ended up choosing maths, which although it's sad that I didn't do history, I never regretted it. Saying that, it's always better to go with what you enjoy, maths is a very hard subject to do at uni and it's quite different to a level/higher, so if you feel you would regret not doing archaeology then go for archeology. However if you're really not sure and it's a 50/50 split then I'd probably suggest going for maths, better degree to have behind you, people assume you're really smart, better job opportunists etc etc
I would say go for Maths, as long as it is what you enjoy. With a maths degree I'm sure you would probably find a little better jobs on the whole. However it's not worth doing a maths degree for 3 years or more and paying lots if you would rather being doing something else
Original post by Kraken713
x

In terms of archaelogy. Are you familar with latin or ancient greek language? do you have even work with one of them? ancient languages are an essential part of this study, if I trust in the statements of a former student.*
A maths degree will give you many more options in life.

You can still maintain your passion for archaeology while doing a maths degree (join the archaeology society, volunteer on digs, travel to see ancient sites, read books and watch documentaries). You can't really do it the other way round.
I have studied french and italian, if it's advised to learn the basics of a language I would be more than happy to do it if it helped me progress in the course :smile:

You have a good attitude, I will give you that. But I just give you the advice not to underrestimate it. After the student who has talked to me, Latin is teached in this study faster by far. What you learn in five years at school that has to be learnt in a half year at university. It is an advantage for you to be familar with Roman languages, all the more if you have a good understanding in them.*
Right ok, so if I did a combined honours would that still let me do a master's degree in either subject or would it disadvantage me compared to other applicants, even if I got a first?

'Combined honours' in the sense of taking mathematics and archaelogy as a study and to graduate in both with Master of Science? at the same time? it is an advantage insofar that you have two acadamic degrees at the same level in different studies, so you are more flexible than another applicants.. Plus you have the choice where you want to work.*
Reply 7
bump
bump

Did you not get the answers you desired to come to a decision?*

Quick Reply

Latest