The Student Room Group

Summer 2017 Applications

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chambers10
Had my interview last Thursday and got the same e-mail yesterday. Initially thought it was rather negative but it isn't, they just need more time I guess.

I reckon that they are just being flooded with applications atm so I would not read anything into it
Original post by Askaud
Anyone been invited to an MS workshop for IBD/GCM?

same
Did CS change their website? I can't log in to check my status any more
anyone know if we have to pay tax on our internship (c.£10k)

or is it just national insurance contributions?

or nothing?
Original post by Flourish RY
anyone know if we have to pay tax on our internship (c.£10k)

or is it just national insurance contributions?

or nothing?

You will pay tax and national insurance I believe. National insurance you cannot get back. But tax you will be able to reclaim when you stop working by submitting a P50 to HMRC online. You'll need a P45 from your employer to do this though.

In short, yes you pay tax but you can get it back later assuming you do not do any other work for that tax year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Commercial Paper
You will pay tax and national insurance I believe. National insurance you cannot get back. But tax you will be able to reclaim when you stop working by submitting a P50 to HMRC online. You'll need a P45 from your employer to do this though.

In short, yes you pay tax but you can get it back later assuming you do not do any other work for that tax year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you are earning £10K and have no other income for the year then you'll pay no tax since it's below the threshold.

Have to pay NI though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Apologies if this question has already been asked, but do MS send an automatic rejection email within 48 hours if you've failed to meet the benchmark for their tests?
Original post by jimmychongas
Well, I've just done it and erm ... it's different. All the 'why Barclays' and 'tell me about a time' question practice for me didn't pay off. I didn't answer a single competency question other than 'What would your family and friends say about you?'.

The rest of the questions were 'role play'. They put you in different scenarios. One asked me to sell how Barclays can add value to a client, but I had technical difficulties so I didn't see the 500 word email until 5 seconds before I had to record! Then another scenario, a senior team member had criticised my report, and I had to respond to their criticism ... all role play of course; you don't get to see the 'report'.

In addition to the videos, you also have some simple numerical questions, some 'which of these statements is true' classics, and I had to critic an email by a colleague in both format and substance, which was pretty straight forward.

Overall, quite an interesting experience. Not sure it gives you the best opportunity to talk about your skills and experiences ... but certainly unique. If I didn't have some technical difficulties I'd be relatively confident ... just my luck ehhhh.

Good Luck!

Hi mate, just a quick question, how long did it take to compete this whole test? Business insight took me 80 minutes. Is this second part doable in 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance
UBS rejection after phone interview, when they called me 20 minutes late. Thought I'd answered well aswell
Original post by panda12
Hi mate, just a quick question, how long did it take to compete this whole test? Business insight took me 80 minutes. Is this second part doable in 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance

Yeah its actually timed per question, so you have approx. 30 mins including allocated prep time
Original post by spyrogyra
If you are earning £10K and have no other income for the year then you'll pay no tax since it's below the threshold.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Actually mate, you do pay tax as you are pro rota on like lets say 45K a year, however, as mentioned, you can claim the tax back April/May the year after (I am a personal finance legend)
Original post by egdargi
When did you guys apply?

End of August for me too
that bloody warehouse question on talent q ... genuinely made me angry
Original post by spyrogyra

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, they tax you based on your pro-rata salary (£50,000) so you are above the threshold and then you have to reclaim it. At least this is what happened for me, maybe it is different elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Commercial Paper
Nah, they tax you based on your pro-rata salary (£50,000) so you are above the threshold and then you have to reclaim it. At least this is what happened for me, maybe it is different elsewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are right mate, i tried to correct him on prev page haha
Hey guys, has anybody had a Nomura interview? If yes, how was it? Thanks
Original post by chloSh19
UBS rejection after phone interview, when they called me 20 minutes late. Thought I'd answered well aswell

What were the questions like? and how long did you have to wait to find out? And what divison was this for?
UBS rejection post-phone interview and just before Dortmund-RM match, 4th rejection so far, ****ed up my evening :frown:
how many days you have to do BNPP test after submission?
Original post by torres657
UBS rejection post-phone interview and just before Dortmund-RM match, 4th rejection so far, ****ed up my evening :frown:

Sorry to hear mate... What were the questions like - what did they ask?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending