The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE 2017 Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Politics & Philosophy

(GCSEs and AS Levels during extenuating circumstances)
GCSE: A*A*A*AAAABB
AS: AAABC (As: 94 UMS, 85 UMS, Linear. B: 78 UMS. C: taken with GCSEs, can't remember)
Prediction: A*AA

Do I have a chance? I know most have 4 As at AS and probably more A* predictions.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Hey guys im a female year 12 dreaming of doing accounting and finance at lse but unfortunately i only realised this recently and my gcse are very bad i got 1 a star 2 As in english and the rest Bs including maths do i have a chance? Its ok if i dont id rather just know early on i take politics economics and history which im working hard in.
Original post by xxx-ooo-xxx
Politics & Philosophy

(GCSEs and AS Levels during extenuating circumstances)
GCSE: A*A*A*AAAABB
AS: AAABC (As: 94 UMS, 85 UMS, Linear. B: 78 UMS. C: taken with GCSEs, can't remember)
Prediction: A*AA

Do I have a chance? I know most have 4 As at AS and probably more A* predictions.

You stand a fantastic chance! Definitely go for it, and even if you don't get it, worse things could happen. Of course, the strength of your application depends on how much your circumstances affected your situation.
Congratulations btw, sick results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 163
Does anyone know someone who got into LSE with average GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 164
Original post by AAls
I'm applying to BMS. May also apply to Maths with Econ but my UMS is shite and I don't think my PS is amazing as well.

Sweet. I was thinking of applying for Econ and then BMS at LSE but is just hard to do a personal statement for both. BMS is nearly identical to Econ first year anyway
Original post by Nc_x
Does anyone know someone who got into LSE with average GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know someone at the LSE who got a C in GCSE English then dropped English and finished with A*AA at the A2 level. Also applied for a competitive course.
Good Luck
Reply 166
GCSEs - 1A*, 10As, 1B
A Level Grades - Maths A*, Further Maths A*, Chemistry B

Currently on a gap year doing an internship at Barclays.
Does anyone know whether it is worth applying to LSE for Mathematics with Economics - they ask for A*AA - if I have a strong personal statement and these grades?
Original post by Shay18
GCSEs - 1A*, 10As, 1B

Does anyone know whether it is worth applying to LSE for Mathematics with Economics - they ask for A*AA - if I have a strong personal statement and these grades?

According to LSE offerholders guide you have marginally missed the standard offer. See the example in the offer holders guide. Best to check with LSE as well.

A level example: You are asked to obtain AAA at A level and you achieve A*AB.
Unfortunately, achieving a higher grade in one subject will not compensate for a lower grade in a different subject. This means that you will have marginally failed to meet the conditions
of your offer

Other problem is I don't think further maths can be used to fulfil the first part of the offer - Check with LSE

Example from offer holders Guide

What does “Obtain grades A*AA plus a pass in Further Mathematics” mean?This offer means that you need to obtain two A grades at A level and an A* at A level with an additional pass in Further Mathematics at A level as a fourth subject. Your Further Mathematics grade will only count once. Therefore, even if you obtain an A grade in this subject, it will not count towards the first part of your offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Shay18
GCSEs - 1A*, 10As, 1B

I phoned them about this and they said that you would be at a disadvantage but they do take into consideration your personal statement and your references, so you may have a slim chance. Will you be retaking?
Original post by Shay18
GCSEs - 1A*, 10As, 1B

You will need to retake Chemistry and try to get predicted an A
Reply 170
I emailed LSE and they replied today saying I should retake my B in Chemistry, but this would slightly disadvantage me when applying.
Also the Further Mathematics grade is strongly preferred and counted for Mathematics with/and Economics degree.

My friend got in this year at LSE for the same course with the same grades. However, he already had an offer of A*AA, but achieved A*A*B on results day and was accepted.

So not sure what to do, will probably just apply and hope for the best.
Original post by Shay18
I emailed LSE and they replied today saying I should retake my B in Chemistry, but this would slightly disadvantage me when applying.
Also the Further Mathematics grade is strongly preferred and counted for Mathematics with/and Economics degree.

My friend got in this year at LSE for the same course with the same grades. However, he already had an offer of A*AA, but achieved A*A*B on results day and was accepted.

So not sure what to do, will probably just apply and hope for the best.

I'd suggest getting a prediction on your reference as well for your Chemistry grade to show LSE that you're capable of getting an A. Hope it all goes well
Reply 172
Original post by romaiseb
I'd suggest getting a prediction on your reference as well for your Chemistry grade to show LSE that you're capable of getting an A. Hope it all goes well

Yeah I definitely will. Thanks
Original post by Shay18

Your friend is lucky :smile:
They sometimes even reject you if you miss your offer by 1 in one subject while achieving above the requirement in other subjects. (Depends on course though)

So make sure to retake your Chemistry (with prediction A or above) if you want to have a chance.
Original post by samantham999
please answer: are these set of gcse's rubbish for lse? are they both rubbish or both good?
1)A*A*A* AAA BB

2)A*AAA BBBB C

The first is good, the second is risky depending on what the C is in. Of course, it depends on what kind of school you've come from/where + other contextual data

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Shay18
Yeah I definitely will. Thanks

Just to be clear you have 2 problems. Improving your chemistry to A will solve the first problem.
The other problem is you can't use Further Maths as part of A*AA offer you will need another A2 Level course with at least an A. .Check this with LSE about using the Further Math as part of the A*AA requirement for Economics with math.
Original post by samantham999
please answer: are these set of gcse's rubbish for lse? are they both rubbish or both good?
1)A*A*A* AAA BB

2)A*AAA BBBB C

The first one is fine. The second one looks risky, but for both cases, it depends on the subjects you got B and C in and also the course you want to apply.

A-Level grades are way more important though.
Original post by Don Joiner
I'm applying for Economics

I have 10A*s at GCSE and AAA at AS, maths module scores of 100, 90, 92, 96 in C1 C2 C3 and M1 respectively

Predicted A*A*A* + A in AS Further Maths

Do I have a good chance of getting an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

you are the biggest dick i know. Theres me hoping for lse with 3Bs at AS and you post to show off your grades
Original post by lovecathy
Same here, friends :smile: I'm holding an unconditional (finally!) offer for Law. Pretty sure the PS was what got me through as well (:

And the Open Day was awesome! Definitely follow redwhiteandbrit's advice on this one - it made the decision between UCL & LSE so much easier for me.

Could you please help with my PS! I don't know if I'm one the right track. Congrats on the offer & I hope uni is going well!
Reply 179
Original post by patelvinai
you are the biggest dick i know. Theres me hoping for lse with 3Bs at AS and you post to show off your grades

well now you understand the competition. these universities aren't easy to get into, don't call someone a dick whom is probably more motivated than you and has an incredibly strong work ethic. just up your game. work harder. you sound like a lame rn.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending