The Student Room Group

Teacher marked me down because I expressed my belief in God

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
You're assuming that she predicted you a lower grade because of the conversation but have you tried actually asking her? A predicted grade that is lower than expected is the sort of thing that should prompt discussion so I would go and ask her and see if she will be able to tell you why and also what you can do to improve your performance.*

If she can have that discussion with you, then you've nothing to worry about. If she can't or if she outright says that your religious beliefs are the reason, then you have a case. But slinging accusations around will not help matters at all. You have nothing to go on besides a sequence of events that you're interpreting as cause and effect. You could damage relationships by jumping the gun here and it won't help you academically as it's not constructive.*
Def not talking about GCSE grades hahaha!

I'm soon done with my UCAS application :smile:
Original post by giella
You're assuming that she predicted you a lower grade because of the conversation but have you tried actually asking her? A predicted grade that is lower than expected is the sort of thing that should prompt discussion so I would go and ask her and see if she will be able to tell you why and also what you can do to improve your performance.*

If she can have that discussion with you, then you've nothing to worry about. If she can't or if she outright says that your religious beliefs are the reason, then you have a case. But slinging accusations around will not help matters at all. You have nothing to go on besides a sequence of events that you're interpreting as cause and effect. You could damage relationships by jumping the gun here and it won't help you academically as it's not constructive.*

Should I appease the teacher and act like I'm an atheist? What do you think?
Original post by Anonymous
I did and that's when I realised people with lower marks had gotten higher predicted grades.

Hell, most students got higher grades. It's depressing.

complain to head teacher, and everyone about it. your mocks are recorded on the system too and she will be fired - thats what I did ( similar situation to yours) and she got fired.
Tell your headteacher.
Original post by ib_hopeful

Just tell one of the senior teacher up to the head, then they cna find out whether its a predicted grade based on you ability or whether its based on persecution. Presumably it will be happening to all students who believe.

Im sceptical.
(edited 7 years ago)
I have only ever gotten full marks in tests and used to get along nicely with this teacher.

A week before we got our predicted grades, s/he asked me if I believed in God I said I did, I did not say which religion or anything but s/he still frowned. A week later, I get my predicted grades and I got predicted a D!!

Like believing in God makes me dumb!

This teacher is a militant atheist but I never knew it could go to these extremes!

I don't know if I should report it because I'm scared I'll be disregarded as being dramatic or making it up because I got a low grade.

What should I do? Even if s/he changes the grade I honestly don't feel comfortable having a teacher like this.

I am strongly considering appeasing the teacher and acting like I'm an atheist just to stay out of trouble.

Please help!

That's terrible! I'd definitely talk to that teacher to give you a legitimate explanation for a D prediction. If they can't I'd say take it up with a more senior teacher and explain the situation. How could your teacher discriminate over your religious beliefs?? Surely as long as you get a good grade (which is their sole purpose) it shouldn't matter what you believe in
justified imo
I will. I hope the two aren't related but I see no other explanation. I got full marks toon everything I did!

If you got full marks in that exact class and were predicted a D then I think something's up. You should go above her head and ask to see the head master or head of year and tell them you think you deserve a better predicted grade because of your performance.

Then he'll ask why you think she predicted you so low but don't say you "think it's because you believe in god", just state the facts: You told your teacher about your belief, then she frowned, and then 2 weeks later she drops a load of BS on you. You'd just be stating facts and the head teacher would have to take you seriously.
Reply 29

I said nothing about appeasement or of denying your faith so I'm not sure what's prompted that question.*
I hope it was something else, otherwise she's out of order and I'd take it to her superior. However, you need to prove without a shadow of a doubt that it wasn't because you messed up in some way - compare your work to someone else's.
The first thing I would do in your situation is to speak to your teacher about it. If you have been getting full marks you should be getting A/A* not a D. It may be just a typo (D is pretty close to A on the keyboard) as these do happen (my maths teacher at college proves this) so speak to her whenever is physically possible and convenient.

Dropping you 4 grades because you're a theist (like me :smile:) is completely 100% unacceptable and could result in s/he getting a warning or be fired.
My physics teacher at college seemed to have something against me but I also had lessons with a second physics teacher (to help boost my grade) and he was great and really helpful.

Also, a friend didn't get on with one of my teachers and just switched classes to another teacher. So could you possibly switch teacher if you feel s/he has something against you?

Do keep us updated on his/her response tomorrow.
Original post by giella
I said nothing about appeasement or of denying your faith so I'm not sure what's prompted that question.*

I know but I liked your advice so I'm wondering what you think of appeasement
Did you get to speak to your teacher about why she marked you down?
I did speak to my teacher and they told me that since its a PREDICTED grade they PREDICT i will get a D.

I told them it was completely irrational and unjustified to predict i will start slacking when I have not shown any signs of this

The teacher said "in my experience students start slacking in their final year"

which is complete BS.

so i asked why everyone had gotten grades that corresponded to their previous test results

and then my teacher raised their voice and said "what do you want me to do"

and i was like .... im asking why i got the grade i did

and then they said "do u want me to change it?!"

and i said yes please

and they said "what grade do u want then?!!!! i cant believe you students"

and i said i want an A

and this teacher nodded and said ok and then quickly turned their back on me

guys.

even though i got a fair grade now i have never been so disrespected in my life. this teacher is mad and im definitely taking it higher up the next time any teeny tiny thing happens.

this teacher was mad that i confronted them! like!!!! WHAT

should i have just shut up and taken the D???!

should i have just shut up and taken the D???!
Yes.

Then worked your guts out and proven the teacher wrong.

Now, unless you achieve an A grade, everyone will be disappointed - including yourself.

It's called managing expectations and is a very valuable life lesson.
Original post by uberteknik
Yes.

Then worked your guts out and proven the teacher wrong.

Now, unless you achieve an A grade, everyone will be disappointed - including yourself.

It's called managing expectations and is a very valuable life lesson.

No mate

the unis im applying to will put me in the no-pile right away

what ur saying is pure BS
Reply 37
No mate

the unis im applying to will put me in the no-pile right away

what ur saying is pure BS

With the greatest of respect, you're talking horsecrap. Half the time Uni's dont get predicted grades, only AS grades and GCSEs. Man up and face facts.
Original post by IWMTom
Half the time

i've checked with all my 5 choices :smile:
Reply 39
i've checked with all my 5 choices :smile:

Has God told you anything interesting recently by any chance?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending