The Student Room Group

French

Mon alimentation a beaucoup changé depuis que j'étais plus jeune. Par exemple j'ai maintenant boire beaucoup d'eau et pas de boissons gazeuses que j'utilise pour boire des boissons gazeuses. J'ai aussi manger beaucoup plus de légumes et de fruits même si j'ai toujours mangé beaucoup de fruits. Is this correct? Any mistakes?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
My diet has changed a lot since I was younger. For example I now drink plenty of water and not soft drinks which I use to drink soft drinks. I also eat a lot more vegetables and fruits even though I always ate a lot of fruit.
Strangely enough, your perfect (past tense) is really good, your present tense, on the other hand, needs work:smile:

Instead of "j'ai", which is past tense, you should use "je" which is I in the present. Also, you are currently using the infinitive which is the verb in the normal form, you need to change this to match the person who is speaking. For example, "boire" means "to drink", but you want to say "I drink", therfore you need to conjugate the verb

Je bois
Tu bois
Il/elle/on boit
Nous buvons
Vous buvez
Ils/elles boivent

Therefore, the sentence should be "Par exemple, je bois maintenant beaucoup d'eau et pas de boissons gazeuses"

Can you please explain what you are trying to say when you use "où que j'utilise pour boire des boissons gazeuses" as well as the final sentence which really doesn't make sense to me:h:
Reply 3
Original post by IKEAPanda37
Strangely enough, your perfect (past tense) is really good, your present tense, on the other hand, needs work:smile:

Instead of "j'ai", which is past tense, you should use "je" which is I in the present. Also, you are currently using the infinitive which is the verb in the normal form, you need to change this to match the person who is speaking. For example, "boire" means "to drink", but you want to say "I drink", therfore you need to conjugate the verb

Je bois
Tu bois
Il/elle/on boit
Nous buvons
Vous buvez
Ils/elles boivent

Therefore, the sentence should be "Par exemple, je bois maintenant beaucoup d'eau et pas de boissons gazeuses"

Can you please explain what you are trying to say when you use "où que j'utilise pour boire des boissons gazeuses" as well as the final sentence which really doesn't make sense to me:h:

Thank you it's meant to mean
My diet has changed a lot since I was younger. For example I now drink a lot of water and not soft drinks as I use to drink soft drinks when I was younger. I also eat a lot more vegetables and fruits even though I have always ate a lot of fruit.
Original post by Laxox
My diet has changed a lot since I was younger. For example I now drink a lot of water and not soft drinks as I use to drink soft drinks when I was younger. I also eat a lot more vegetables and fruits even though I have always ate a lot of fruit.

Ah I see what you've done here. To talk about something you used to do, you need to use the imperfect tense, which is another past tense.

Making the imperfect tense:

1) Take your verb (e.g. boire)
2) Put it into the "Nous" form of present tense (nous buvons - we drink)
3) Remove -ons (buv)
4) Add the imperfect endings

Je = ais
Tu = ais
Il/elle/on = ait
Nous = ions
Vous = iez
Ils/elles = aient

There are exceptions to this, but this will cover most verbs

Therefore, you would say "je buvais"

"Je buvais des boissons gazeuses"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Laxox

I think it would be a good idea to change this sentence a bit because it's quite confusing

"I also try to eat more vegetables and fruit than before, even though I've always liked to eat a lot of fruit"

"J'essaie de manger plus de légumes et de fruits qu'avant, bien que j'ai toujours aimé(e) de manger beaucoup de fruits"
So here's my amendment in full:h:

Mon alimentation a beaucoup changé depuis j'étais plus jeune. Par exemple, je bois maintenant beaucoup d'eau et pas de boissons gazeuses, parce que je buvais des boissons gazeuses quand j'étais un enfant (just to change it a bit) J'essaie aussi de manger plus de légumes et de fruits qu'avant, bien que j'ai toujours aimé(e) de manger beaucoup de fruits.

I really hope you find all of this useful, please let me know if there is anything else you need help with:h:

I'm just going to tag a friend, just to make sure there isn't anything I haven't picked up on or if I've made any mistakes:smile: @CheeseIsVeg
Reply 7

Mon alimentation a beaucoup changé depuis j'étais plus jeune. Par exemple, je bois maintenant beaucoup d'eau et pas de boissons gazeuses, parce que je buvais des boissons gazeuses quand j'étais un enfant (just to change it a bit) J'essaie aussi de manger plus de légumes et de fruits qu'avant, bien que j'ai toujours aimé(e) de manger beaucoup de fruits.

I really hope you find all of this useful, please let me know if there is anything else you need help with:h:

I'm just going to tag a friend, just to make sure there isn't anything I haven't picked up on or if I've made any mistakes:smile: @CheeseIsVeg

Aw thank you for the help
Original post by Laxox

You're very welcome! Again, if there's anything else you need, just ask:h:

subjonctif n'est-ce pas?Otherwise absolutely fine, u got this :yy:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
subjonctif n'est-ce pas?Otherwise absolutely fine, u got this :yy:

Ah, oui:colondollar:

I don't even know past subjunctive:redface: Maybe if I change it to "malgré cela"? Would that make sense? I would rather not confuse them with past subjunctive, as I don't know it myself.....
Ah, oui:colondollar:

I don't even know past subjunctive:redface: Maybe if I change it to "malgré cela"? Would that make sense? I would rather not confuse them with past subjunctive, as I don't know it myself.....

I believe the auxiliary is the only thing that changes
Therefore J'ai --> J'aie
I believe the auxiliary is the only thing that changes
Therefore J'ai --> J'aie

So it would be "J'aie toujours aimée"? I think I can understand this:h:
So it would be "J'aie toujours aimée"? I think I can understand this:h:

I believe so :wink: But I never got taught this so :mmm::tongue:
I believe so :wink: But I never got taught this so :mmm::tongue:

Ah OK, well thanks for your help:hugs::france::france::france::france:
Ah OK, well thanks for your help:hugs::france::france::france::france:

Pas de problème :hugs: :france: :france:
Original post by Laxox

Hi again, I accidentally made a small mistake

Mon alimentation a beaucoup changé depuis j'étais plus jeune. Par exemple, je bois maintenant beaucoup d'eau et pas de boissons gazeuses, parce que je buvais des boissons gazeuses quand j'étais un enfant. J'essaie aussi de manger plus de légumes et de fruits qu'avant, bien que j'aie toujours aimé(e) de manger beaucoup de fruits.

This is a different tense, called the past subjunctive. Don't worry about it now, it's something I haven't learned yet (I'm doing A2 French:smile:)
Reply 17
Hi again, I accidentally made a small mistake

Mon alimentation a beaucoup changé depuis j'étais plus jeune. Par exemple, je bois maintenant beaucoup d'eau et pas de boissons gazeuses, parce que je buvais des boissons gazeuses quand j'étais un enfant. J'essaie aussi de manger plus de légumes et de fruits qu'avant, bien que j'aie toujours aimé(e) de manger beaucoup de fruits.

This is a different tense, called the past subjunctive. Don't worry about it now, it's something I haven't learned yet (I'm doing A2 French:smile:)

Okay thank you for all the help

Quick Reply

Latest