The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Hey for Manchester how do they look at your application if you have a WP flag (not WP plus)? Because I got 667 and I have one WP flag so I don't get how they take that into consideration if they don't lower the ukcat cut off? Lol sorry if this doesn't make sense !xx
Original post by ellen111
does the ukcat get marked differently later on in the examining period? what do you mean they lower later on, mines next week now I'm worried :frown:

Oh no I don't mean they HAVE to lower. Basically UKCAT on their website say those who sit it earlier TEND to do better but it doesn't mean for definite. Don't worry I'm sure you will do amazing it won't change your performance at all as everyone is marked the same!❤️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alevelz
Hey for Manchester how do they look at your application if you have a WP flag (not WP plus)? Because I got 667 and I have one WP flag so I don't get how they take that into consideration if they don't lower the ukcat cut off? Lol sorry if this doesn't make sense !xx

Apparently they give it extra consideration so let's say you have few hobbies they would see you are flagged and that would help change their opinion of you. That's what I've read from the Manchester website anyway! I have 667 too! Shame they don't lower the cut off though I wish they did as I need it 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Well I got 653.33, there were 3 years where I could have got in and 3 years I couldn't, I hope this year I can Lol

I get a WP flag (and I know you did too) but kinda sucks how it doesn't lower the cut off for us :/

Although my parents didn't go to uni.

Haha! see I make it for all years apart from 2013 (the dodgy year due to DA inflation) so although Manchester is a slight risk for me I don't think I'm being too crazy by applying just like neither are you! It's annoying because my high school massively underperforms but isn't on the list unfortunately probably as it takes a 3 year average I think 😭 so basically I'm so close to a WP+ flag 😭😭😭 whyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by michaela__
Apparently they give it extra consideration so let's say you have few hobbies they would see you are flagged and that would help change their opinion of you. That's what I've read from the Manchester website anyway! I have 667 too! Shame they don't lower the cut off though I wish they did as I need it 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah if you have a WP flag they highlight you and then I'm pretty sure that they reconsider you later on iirc.

Also the interviewers will understand we come from a different background.
Nah if you have a WP flag they highlight you and then I'm pretty sure that they reconsider you later on iirc.

Also the interviewers will understand we come from a different background.

When you say reconsider later on what do you mean 😬 yeah that's what I was getting at when I was speaking about hobbies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha! see I make it for all years apart from 2013 (the dodgy year due to DA inflation) so although Manchester is a slight risk for me I don't think I'm being too crazy by applying just like neither are you! It's annoying because my high school massively underperforms but isn't on the list unfortunately probably as it takes a 3 year average I think 😭 so basically I'm so close to a WP+ flag 😭😭😭 whyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Kinda sucks for me, I went to a grammar school but I got in because I did extremely well in the entrance exams and got a bursary so my education was free.

Ugh I really wanted to do that Access to Medicine manchester programme or whatever it was but I couldn't because of this.
Original post by gaby_xo
Can I ask if you did any mocks and what you were getting in them if you remember? I'm also applying to GEM and have sat the test before. I think I'm also going take the GAMSAT if the test does not go well but its not calming my nerves at all.

I got 770 for VR, 650 for AR and 600 QR for Medify mocks. I wasn't giving it my all for QR during the mocks lol.

Anyway yeah. I am so over it and done with it. This is the second time and I only did slightly better. Maybe I'm more suited for the GAMSAT... so going to sit that in March.
When you say reconsider later on what do you mean 😬 yeah that's what I was getting at when I was speaking about hobbies!

Posted from TSR Mobile

At the end of the day you will most likely get an interview, I'm going to the open day on the 8th, I'll be applying before then but I'll know on that day to expect a rejection.
did my ukcat today and was gutted got an average of 580.
AR - 650
QR - 620
VR - 470

I didnt manage my time well and tbh VR was very hard because they were really complex and very long so done really bad in that.

I am applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. I know there is very little chances but hopefully my academic grades pulls it up.
At the end of the day you will most likely get an interview, I'm going to the open day on the 8th, I'll be applying before then but I'll know on that day to expect a rejection.

I went to their open day over summer. If you find out any more about WP flag could you please PM me thanks as I didn't ask much about that during the open day! I love Manchester, it would be amazing if I got an interview at least 😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kinda sucks for me, I went to a grammar school but I got in because I did extremely well in the entrance exams and got a bursary so my education was free.

Ugh I really wanted to do that Access to Medicine manchester programme or whatever it was but I couldn't because of this.

That's so unlucky as its not like you are privileged at all really😭 bless you❣fingers crossed for WP flag anyway it might help us out if we get selected for interview! 👻😇

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by secondarkhan
did my ukcat today and was gutted got an average of 580.
AR - 650
QR - 620
VR - 470

I didnt manage my time well and tbh VR was very hard because they were really complex and very long so done really bad in that.

I am applying to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee. I know there is very little chances but hopefully my academic grades pulls it up.

I was in a similar situation to you last year and got 2 interviews as i applied to PS heavy unis. Why not consider BMAT?
That's so unlucky as its not like you are privileged at all really😭 bless you❣fingers crossed for WP flag anyway it might help us out if we get selected for interview! 👻😇

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah well thanks Lol

Also if I do find anything else out I'll be sure to PM you!
does anyone have any tricks/advice on how to speed up in QR? at the moment I'm majorly running out of time *
You are actually the Same as me with that logic that's exactly what I was saying lol😂 I'm so excited for you to get your score!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

I was going through the Kaplan "How to score higher on UKCAT" book and was wondering, if it's ok to ask and you don't mind sharing, what score you got on the mock at the end of it?

I'm assuming you have this book from a picture you uploaded the other day but I may be wrong. In which case, sorry!

(Sorry to bother you again) :colondollar:
Original post by .......Jeff458
Hey,

I was going through the Kaplan "How to score higher on UKCAT" book and was wondering, if it's ok to ask and you don't mind sharing, what score you got on the mock at the end of it?

I'm assuming you have this book from a picture you uploaded the other day but I may be wrong. In which case, sorry!

(Sorry to bother you again) :colondollar:

Funnily enough I never did that mock! ( I should have done lol). before my test when I was in maccies stress eating 😂 I attempted a few AR questions and found it hard so I had to stop as I was freaking out when my test was in like 40 minutes. So sorry I can't help you much but from what I gathered AR was hard in it but I'm bad at AR😂 hey don't worry you aren't bothering me I love to help! Sorry I couldn't help much in this case!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mathsmad123
I was in a similar situation to you last year and got 2 interviews as i applied to PS heavy unis. Why not consider BMAT?

Hey there! May I know where you applied? And where did you get the interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lidiaislam13
Hey there! May I know where you applied? And where did you get the interviews?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey! and sure, i got interviews at sheffield (100% PS last year) and Leeds (AS grades+PS+BMAT). Got rejected by exeter.
If i used my brain a little bit more when deciding on where to apply, i would have got a brighton interview!
Original post by ellen111
does anyone have any tricks/advice on how to speed up in QR? at the moment I'm majorly running out of time *

Minimise using the calculator as many questions can be answered without it by simply eyeballing and try to answer some things in your head (if you can) which saves lots of time. When you do need to use the calculator, use the keyboard not the mouse by using number lock. Press ALT+ C to open up calculator, press ALT+N to go to next question, ALT+F to flag. During decision making section, write down the key formulas on the whiteboard ready such as speed=distance/time. Always read the question first as most of the data is a waste of time to read, a lot of questions are basic 1 step problems. I figured most people struggle with time on QR as they analyse the data too much.
Maybe skip a stem or two that you find difficult and identify this stem that you will skip early on but also guess and flag it. I guessed 4 and still came out with 890!
Basically the more practice, the better!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending