The Student Room Group

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
I got band 1 though. But I am honestly done with the UKCAT. I did things differently, yet still didn't get the score I wass hoping for. Going to try GAMSAT for March.

what did you do differently in comparison to last year?
WOULD U SAY THAT THE VR passages in the actual test are about this long? xx

Folding@home (FAH or F@h) is a distributed computing project for disease research that simulates protein folding, computational drug design, and other types of molecular dynamics. The project uses the idle resources of thousands of personal computers owned by volunteers who have installed the software on their systems. Its primary purpose is to determine the mechanisms of protein folding, which is the process by which proteins reach their final three-dimensional structure, and to examine the causes of protein misfolding. This is of significant academic interest with major implications for medical research into Alzheimer’s disease, Huntington’s disease, and many forms of cancer, among other diseases. To a lesser extent, Folding@home also tries to predict a protein’s final structure and determine how other molecules may interact with it, which has applications in drug design. Folding@home is developed and operated by the Pande Laboratory at Stanford University, under the direction of Prof. Vijay Pande, and is shared by various scientific institutions and research laboratories across the world.Folding@home is one of the world’s fastest computing systems, with a speed of approximately 40 petaFLOPS: greater than all projects running on the BOINC, another computing platform, combined. This performance from its large-scale computing network has allowed researchers to run computationally expensive atomic-level simulations of protein folding thousands of times longer than previously achieved. Since its launch on October 1, 2000, the Pande Lab has produced 118 scientific research papers as a direct result of Folding@home. Results from the project’s simulations agree favorably with experiments.
Original post by Mathsmad123
Minimise using the calculator as many questions can be answered without it by simply eyeballing and try to answer some things in your head (if you can) which saves lots of time. When you do need to use the calculator, use the keyboard not the mouse by using number lock. Press ALT+ C to open up calculator, press ALT+N to go to next question, ALT+F to flag. During decision making section, write down the key formulas on the whiteboard ready such as speed=distance/time. Always read the question first as most of the data is a waste of time to read, a lot of questions are basic 1 step problems. I figured most people struggle with time on QR as they analyse the data too much.
Maybe skip a stem or two that you find difficult and identify this stem that you will skip early on but also guess and flag it. I guessed 4 and still came out with 890!
Basically the more practice, the better!

how were u scoring in the modify stems... under time practice.. i keep getting 5/6 out of 10... ? worried af!
Original post by Lostperson
how were u scoring in the modify stems... under time practice.. i keep getting 5/6 out of 10... ? worried af!

I never did timed practice for QR, but in the original stem is was getting 4 or 5 out of 5. I can't remember my percentage scores in practice analysis i think it was around 90%.
The real exam is easier than medify :smile:
I never did timed practice for QR, but in the original stem is was getting 4 or 5 out of 5. I can't remember my percentage scores in practice analysis i think it was around 90%.

What did you do the night before your exam? ive got mine tomorrow and ive finished all the mocks and practice q. on medify idk what to do lol
Original post by WhoDaresWins
At the end of the day you will most likely get an interview, I'm going to the open day on the 8th, I'll be applying before then but I'll know on that day to expect a rejection.

Heya could you let me know too about what they say at the open day? I'd really appreciate it!! Do you know how many interviews they give out? I really wish I had a WP plus flag!

ah i see but, the 90% was not under timed practice? I'm getting 60% under timed...:/
Minimise using the calculator as many questions can be answered without it by simply eyeballing and try to answer some things in your head (if you can) which saves lots of time. When you do need to use the calculator, use the keyboard not the mouse by using number lock. Press ALT+ C to open up calculator, press ALT+N to go to next question, ALT+F to flag. During decision making section, write down the key formulas on the whiteboard ready such as speed=distance/time. Always read the question first as most of the data is a waste of time to read, a lot of questions are basic 1 step problems. I figured most people struggle with time on QR as they analyse the data too much.
Maybe skip a stem or two that you find difficult and identify this stem that you will skip early on but also guess and flag it. I guessed 4 and still came out with 890!
Basically the more practice, the better!

thank you so much! stupid question but can you do add, divide, multiply using the keyboard or do you need to click on the calculator? (I have a mac book and have to click on the calc for these :/ )
Original post by aamin96
What did you do the night before your exam? ive got mine tomorrow and ive finished all the mocks and practice q. on medify idk what to do lol

I did nothing all day except for a few questions at 10pm not even joking. I was playing cricket and football all day. This was because i wanted to avoid stress and be calm. I felt i could do this as i felt i was at my peak and had prepared enough.
Original post by Lostperson
ah i see but, the 90% was not under timed practice? I'm getting 60% under timed...:/

90% untimed so i would spend like over a minute per question to ensure i got them correct. Then when mocks came, i just sped up and started making silly mistakes. this improved over time
Original post by Alevelz
Heya could you let me know too about what they say at the open day? I'd really appreciate it!! Do you know how many interviews they give out? I really wish I had a WP plus flag!

Sure man!
Original post by michaela__
Funnily enough I never did that mock! ( I should have done lol). before my test when I was in maccies stress eating 😂 I attempted a few AR questions and found it hard so I had to stop as I was freaking out when my test was in like 40 minutes. So sorry I can't help you much but from what I gathered AR was hard in it but I'm bad at AR😂 hey don't worry you aren't bothering me I love to help! Sorry I couldn't help much in this case!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha, nice!

Oh. I was only wondering because I did the practice questions and got 19/20 so I hope the mock at the end is as good as those practice questions.

Only doing the book because I hear it is VERY similar to the exam. Especially QR. Ah well, thanks anyways :smile:
90% untimed so i would spend like over a minute per question to ensure i got them correct. Then when mocks came, i just sped up and started making silly mistakes. this improved over time

i see...great :smile: thank you x
Original post by .......Jeff458
Hahaha, nice!

Oh. I was only wondering because I did the practice questions and got 19/20 so I hope the mock at the end is as good as those practice questions.

Only doing the book because I hear it is VERY similar to the exam. Especially QR. Ah well, thanks anyways :smile:

You'll do absolutely amazing then! Don't know why you are worrying when you seem so prepared ❣I'm positive you'll get the score that you deserve!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ellen111
thank you so much! stupid question but can you do add, divide, multiply using the keyboard or do you need to click on the calculator? (I have a mac book and have to click on the calc for these :/ )

No problem. No question is stupid if it is genuine :smile: and yeah you can! press + for add, / for divide, * for multiply and - for subtract. If you have any concerns still, feel free to ask.
Btw that could be a reason why you are slowing down....beccause you use the mouse for the calculator. Use the keyboard and it will speed up SOOO much :smile:

Sounds good ive done quite a few questions today so ill chill. Did you do some reading before your exam to warm your brain up?
are the medify mini mocks harder than the actual test ?? as I've done appallingly in each of the mini mocks!!
Hi guys, question to anyone who has done the Kaplan practice tests, are these harder than the real exam as I am struggling with these but scoring much higher on the Medify mocks???
Please read my thread! Repping all replies!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just did my ukcat got average 620 and band 1 sj is this enough to apply for foundation year med

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending