The Student Room Group

Trying to get A*A*A*A*A* at A-level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Himtiaz
How many a levels did you take

I thought the hard part would be learning / self teaching all the content in time however the real problem for me was not having enough time to properly go over my notes to a level I wanted to for my last few exams.

This had some impact on my grades, for example in physics i got 100%, 100% and 79%. The 79% was my last exam (after 11 others on back to back days) and I didn't even have time to read over all of my notes since I had a 2.5 hour PM exam the day before.
Original post by Louisb19
I thought the hard part would be learning / self teaching all the content in time however the real problem for me was not having enough time to properly go over my notes to a level I wanted to for my last few exams.

This had some impact on my grades, for example in physics i got 100%, 100% and 79%. The 79% was my last exam (after 11 others on back to back days) and I didn't even have time to read over all of my notes since I had a 2.5 hour PM exam the day before.

Is step like the BMAT or UKCATs?
Original post by Himtiaz
Is step like the BMAT or UKCATs?

No it's much harder, I'd say it took as much self study time as Physics and Computing A2. You take it in june.
No it's much harder, I'd say it took as much self study time as Physics and Computing A2. You take it in june.

Did you find that taking 5 AS levels helped you in anyway or just gave less time to the rest of your subjects?
Original post by Himtiaz
Did you find that taking 5 AS levels helped you in anyway or just gave less time to the rest of your subjects?

If I could go back I would have done 3 A Levels and 1 AS in year 13. I would have been able to get 100 ums in more of my modules and had more time for STEP.

I honestly don't think any uni cares about my 4th A Level (A in computing aqa not an A*) and I would be in a much better position If I got better grades in STEP over another having my computing A-Level.

If you get 4 or 5 A*s it looks good but if you get A*A* A A or A*A*A*AA its better to sacrifice 1 A and get full A*s imo.
If I could go back I would have done 3 A Levels and 1 AS in year 13. I would have been able to get 100 ums in more of my modules and had more time for STEP.

I honestly don't think any uni cares about my 4th A Level (A in computing aqa not an A*) and I would be in a much better position If I got better grades in STEP over another having my computing A-Level.

If you get 4 or 5 A*s it looks good but if you get A*A* A A or A*A*A*AA its better to sacrifice 1 A and get full A*s imo.

I'm taking 4 AS levels rn and am thinking of taking further maths as well
Do you think thats a bad idea then??
Original post by Himtiaz
I'm taking 4 AS levels rn and am thinking of taking further maths as well
Do you think thats a bad idea then??

what subjects you taking and what do you wana do for uni?
what subjects you taking and what do you wana do for uni?

I'm taking maths physics chemistry & biology.
I'm not sure what i want to do but im thinking maths/physics or medicine
Original post by Himtiaz
I'm taking maths physics chemistry & biology.
I'm not sure what i want to do but im thinking maths/physics or medicine

I think doing 5 AS is fine to be honest, just 4 A2s no more than that.

If you are going to do 5 AS you need to be real with yourself though, if you **** up early you will get overwhelmed towards the end of the year and do badly.

You don't even have to be a no life although I was tbh, you need to get **** done and not spend each evening on facebook with your textbook open and call it revision.

If you spend your time wisely and effectively, study 3 hours a night you will get 5As in AS but don't blame me if you take my advice, don't study and getting overwhelmed later. It's vital you make sure everything is sorted and will get studied in time.

If you need tips for studying (I did basically the same subjects as you) throughout the year you can pm me.

Please drop one of your subjects in Year 13 tho, if you wana do medicine drop FM, if you wana do maths/physics drop bio.

EDIT: I used my frees to study, about 3 hours a night, had 4A2s and 1AS + other crap and I was fine and I'm not smart so you can do it if you do similar (I don't know if you are a genius but you don't need to be as long as you work harder than everyone else).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 89

If you are going to do 5 AS you need to be real with yourself though, if you **** up early you will get overwhelmed towards the end of the year and do badly.

You don't even have to be a no life although I was tbh, you need to get **** done and not spend each evening on facebook with your textbook open and call it revision.

If you spend your time wisely and effectively, study 3 hours a night you will get 5As in AS but don't blame me if you take my advice, don't study and getting overwhelmed later. It's vital you make sure everything is sorted and will get studied in time.

If you need tips for studying (I did basically the same subjects as you) throughout the year you can pm me.

Please drop one of your subjects in Year 13 tho, if you wana do medicine drop FM, if you wana do maths/physics drop bio.

EDIT: I used my frees to study, about 3 hours a night, had 4A2s and 1AS + other crap and I was fine and I'm not smart so you can do it if you do similar (I don't know if you are a genius but you don't need to be as long as you work harder than everyone else).

Well said. I like you.
Reply 90

I do 4A2's and an EPQ...
Right now I'm struggling with trying to balance what I'm doing and when. Not sure what to revise because there's so much I want to revise so I can't really prioritise well. Any tips? I'm keeping organised and working whenever I can however the MAT is incoming fast and that's what I'm prioritising above my A-levels at the minute

How did you do in STEP?
Reply 92
How did you find doing 2 ASs and one full A level in your first year?
I'm taking 4 AS subjects, an EPQ and EES and so far it doesn't seem too demanding but it's only September :tongue:
Just wondering if I'll be able to have a social life in 2017...
Original post by Enigmatically
How did you do in STEP?

1 (in 1), 3 (in 2), 2 (in 3).

I ****ed up pretty bad, im retaking.
1 (in 1), 3 (in 2), 2 (in 3).

I ****ed up pretty bad, im retaking.

Ah so you took a gap. Good luck. Atleast you wouldn't have to take I again xP
DAYM that's a lot of A*s... you must be clever af

Good luck I hope you achieve it
respect your work ethic seriously
I was predicted all C's but got all A*'s, once you go above C, it's easy
Reply 98
How exactly do people revise to get an A*. My notes are entirely based off of pased papers. So i know exactly what the examiners want. ( exact words ) eg if it says whats te fetch decode execute cycle. I have made my notes exactly from the old spec 6 markers. I also follow the spec. Is this good enough for an A* or....
Reply 99
Original post by mahmzo
How exactly do people revise to get an A*. My notes are entirely based off of pased papers. So i know exactly what the examiners want. ( exact words ) eg if it says whats te fetch decode execute cycle. I have made my notes exactly from the old spec 6 markers. I also follow the spec. Is this good enough for an A* or....

Have you tried a past paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending